Corsair Community

XD5 not pumping, any suggestions?

KingKanji

Just got done installing my custom loop and when I fill the pump to initially fill the loop, no water is moving from the res/pump into the loop. The RGB for the pump is working just fine though. I've already tried...

• Ensuring molex is plugged in and tried multiple molex cables
  • Remove PWM cable from commander pro
  • Used different power supply
  • I also ensured that I had one of the inlets open to let air in as well

If anyone has had a similar issue or any suggestions that could help me diagnose what I'm doing wrong would be much appreciated. This is the first time I'm doing a water cooling loop so it could most definitely be user error.

With the top fill port open, try carefully tilting the case one direction or another. Depending on initial resistance, pressure, etc., the first fill can be difficult. Also, leave the PWM cable off the C-Pro as you've stated to keep the pump running at maximum and generating the most head pressure.

I assume it is making quite a bit of noise at max with the PWM plug removed. If not, that would be a sign of trouble.

*I'll say it just because it is possible... there is only one outlet pump from the XD5 (the left one on the dual port side). All others are return/inlet ports. Make sure you are leaving the pump from the one and only path.

Edited by c-attack

So I can definitely hear the pump on so I don't think its dead. When i tilt the case i do see some water going through the pump into the loop but its super slow which makes me think thats just due to gravity. Another thing i noticed is that i am seeing bubbles coming from the pump into the res, is that supposed to happen? I also do have the outlet hooked up to the left port of the pump.

That seems like the typical initial resistance. It can be hard to push through depedning on loop design. Once you get past the tipping point, whoosh..... and you're good.

If you used soft tubing, try to squeeze the tube that returns to the reservoir. You are fighting against the air pressure. You can try squeezing in other places as well. If you did hard line tubes, that won't work. All you can you do is power on/off with the jumper in place. The initial power on creates the most pressure. Try it at various tilts.

• 1 year later...