Corsair Community

Corsair. Are you ever gonna fix the high CPU usage?

I'm with you on this, and I am sorry for the hassle. Our SW team is working closely with them to get this thing resolved. Like I said, we are well aware of what's happening in the field, we're making sure that all your guys' feedback are being heard.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, or rude, but it's stunning that a company of Corsair's calibre does not have in-house developers to create software that directly harmonizes with Corsair's hardware. It's absolutely crazy and this explains the litany of issues with iCue and how this particular forum feels like screaming into the void.

• Confused 1

I'm not trying to be a jerk, or rude, but it's stunning that a company of Corsair's calibre does not have in-house developers to create software that directly harmonizes with Corsair's hardware. It's absolutely crazy and this explains the litany of issues with iCue and how this particular forum feels like screaming into the void.

This thread is one year old and i bet it wasn't the first.

i had the time to resell all my corsair RGB before someone just aknowledged the issue.. now that the problem apaprently has been noticed, iCUE has to be reworked which will probably take ages because ironing out bugs does not bring income i guess..

.. or else there would have been program testing or some form of quality control. I can't imagine someone would have let such a performance hit pass (both the CPU usage and the disk IO overuse)

For me, the problem is related to the version of Windows. I have multiple Windows partitions installed on my PC, and here are my results currently:

Windows 10 Dev Channel Build 20206 - Corsair.Service.exe has High CPU Usage! :(

Windows 10 Beta Channel Build 19042.487 - Corsair.Service.exe behaves normally.

Hope this helps isolate the problem!

I too have multiple backups of the different windows builds given how unstable microsofts updates can be :laughing:. I have since tried all icue releases from the last 16 months with win10 2004 and they all result in bsod's, errors or just eats cpu like its secretly mining crypto :laughing:.

Whereas on 1909 the only "stable" build i found which doesnt eat cpu aka it stayed below 2% which is very high to say the least was build 3.24.52. But other people report they have issues with that build also. But at this point 3.24.52 is well over a year old and shouldn't be required to stay with older builds just to mitigate a widely reported issue across now multiple releases.

Corsair your products are great, your support teams are great but by god whoever you have outsourced the software for icue need a wack round the head :laughing: to fix this widely reported issue.

- Vex

Using an ICue Nexus, my CPU usage goes from .8%-1.2% to almost 5-6% on a 9900k. I have deleted all other screens, only run 1, and it has two sensor readouts for package temp and load.

I can unplug the nexus and watch my cpu use plummet and any latency is resolved.

• Corsair Employee

I know where you're coming from.I'd probably feel the same way if feel like my concerns are just being ignored. In this case, I can personally guarantee you that this is not the case. Our software team is well aware of this and working on a solution. I think the lack of communication with you guys on providing updates and such is where we dropped the ball. We should've been more proactive on talking with you guys, that way it wouldn't have felt like it was a one way conversation.

The moment I get any updates regarding this matter, I'll be sure to update you guys right away.

I'm not the last one when it comes to criticize Corsair and more precisely the massive failure that iCUE has been.. lost a good bunch of money investing in the ecosystem and reselling every last bit of hardware i had with a sails logo on it because the software was horrendous.. but the past few weeks we've seen a lot more corsair employees actively engaging in the forums. That's a really good change.

I hope you can finally put an end to that CPU hog and disk IO monster that iCUE currently is so we don't have to chose between lagging with corsair or losing money to move to the competition. (I still use iCUE at work for my K70... turns my laptop into a turbine eating 15% CPU running static lighting).

Amen to that. It's a huge disappointment for me too. The company I work for would have gone bust if we delivered a product with so many bugs that just weren't addressed. The CPU usage is the most egregious with iCue but there are so many more - including stuff that's still a problem going back right back to the earliest iterations of Cue. And mentioning them here over the years has historically resulted in, as you intimate, a complete wall of silence from Corsair staffers. Although, equally, in fairness, one of the issues I reported way back at the beginning eventually got fixed - albeit after something like two and a half years. Hearing about the distance between the hardware and software design probably explains some of that, but not all by any stretch.

I used to regard Corsair hardware as the default choice because it was almost invariably the best product for the job but the problems with iCue have long got to the point where the occasional system builds I do for friends etc, I now don't install it and often choose other vendors when extra functionality is required.

It seems that the focus on the company was constantly introducing new iCue compatible product rather than fixing bugs on existing stuff. In this context, I can't help but wonder whether the recent acknowledgment of and promises to fix this problem and the mea culpas from the likes of Greybeard here actually result from the deployment of iCue on the Legion laptops (and therefore pressure from Lenovo to sort this **** out) rather than the repeated complaints from users here. If Corsair went after an OEM contract ignoring the complaints of those of us that there was a fundamental issue with the software, if it's come back to bite them on the proverbial, there's an element of poetic justice in that. The fact that Corsair are in the middle of an IPO process also clouds the pitch a little.

It saddens me that I'm even thinking that of a company that I used to have a hell of a lot of technical respect for. I hope that internally the management have actually realised that they have a major problem here, and I sincerely hope the end result is an improvement in the quality of the software to the point where we can actually have some confidence in it.

Edited by Citizen Crazed

I know where you're coming from.I'd probably feel the same way if feel like my concerns are just being ignored. In this case, I can personally guarantee you that this is not the case. Our software team is well aware of this and working on a solution. I think the lack of communication with you guys on providing updates and such is where we dropped the ball. We should've been more proactive on talking with you guys, that way it wouldn't have felt like it was a one way conversation.

The moment I get any updates regarding this matter, I'll be sure to update you guys right away.

It's great to see you posting here now Greybeard - but you're right, the ball has been majorly dropped. It's not just updates, it's creating the impression (justified or otherwise) that Corsair as a company is more interested in pumping out new product than fixing bugs in existing stuff that your user base has already invested (often heavily) in. That creates an impression of a company that doesn't care about its customers.

You can see from my join date (and I've been using your stuff much longer than that) that I know of a time when Corsair support was the absolute gold standard and that was one of the major buying influences for me. Not been like that for a while.

There's a bunch of us around the place with the technical ability to help out here too - but a lot of that goodwill has been burned through. There's a microcontroller plugged into my system to provide hardware mitigation for another longstanding iCue bug that you guys don't seem to care about, for example. I'd much rather have told you what was wrong than take the time to sort out my own workaround, but I got bored watching the (lack of) response here when I posted about it.

As the others have said, it's great to see engagement here again. Question is to what extent that's going to get followed up. And it'd be nice to look forward to buying new Corsair stuff rather than thinking twice about it and looking at what the competition are up to. :sunglasse

Honestly I really appreciate the acknowledgement. I'm also talking to someone on reddit about the same issue. For now, I'm using OpenRGB to give myself some rudimentary control over my hardware lighting, but I do miss the ability to use fancy effects. However, my PC has now for the first time since having iCue installed been able to successfully go to sleep. iCue is a total CPU hog (for what it does) and it prevents PC's from entering sleep states. This has probably cost me quite a lot in electricity and it's unacceptable.

When I see these issues fixed I will happily reinstall. For now I do recommend OpenRGB.

Just a side note, OpenRGB is able to control the colouration of my Steelseries Rival 100 mouse, with no manufacturer software installed whatsoever. If iCue can take this and expand on it, to support other hardware, that would be incredible.

Right now OpenRGB can control lighting for:

ASUS, ASRock, Corsair, G.Skill, Gigabyte, HyperX, MSI, Razer, ThermalTake, and more supported

All with ZERO manufacturer software installed.

It's a real shame that every major manufacturer has RGB products available, and every major manufacturer requires their own specific brand of software.

iCue could lead the field in being the one central hub to control these devices. You recently partnered with Asus and this was a first great step, I'd like to see this extended towards EVGA too.

Thanks again.

Hope this helps anybody from corsair IF they are interested at all. But yet again my keyboard needed to be unplugged and re plugged in to be seen for no reason what so ever , But I had task manager open and noticed that when the Icue losses connection with the keyboard its actual usage drops to 0% . But seriously 198.7mb and 1.7-2.4% with the latest update is just getting ridiculous and thats just the icue software not taking into account the other 4 services corsair sneakily run as there should be 5 but i disable the audio one as i don't have a headset so thanks for checking if its needed BEFORE installing and running it on every restart Corsair. Edited by stevvie

Well ... you might be working on it now but most issues just linger for years and/or come back.

I currently have Corsaair.Service eating 16% CPU on a i9700k. Some releases that goes down to 4% which is still way too much.

Every 2nd or 3rd iCue release is so buggy it's unusable.

Every 4-5 iCue release won't detect my Cooler.

And my Corsair keyboard repeats keys ... it only cost me $130 so that's fine.

Update to my last post.

I was able to further reduce cpu usage by setting fixed fan speed profiles for both the commander pro and 115i xt fans. I left the pump on balanced. This also seemed to reduce in-game stuttering and lag dramatically. Using project lasso, i was able to see sudden spikes to 100% on MW campaign and warzone. Though I'm still experiencing some lag, its far more tolerable on 1440p, and no problems at 1080p. iCUE is currently using 1.4-2.9% CPU with fixed fan speeds.

• Corsair Employee
It's great to see you posting here now Greybeard - but you're right, the ball has been majorly dropped. It's not just updates, it's creating the impression (justified or otherwise) that Corsair as a company is more interested in pumping out new product than fixing bugs in existing stuff that your user base has already invested (often heavily) in. That creates an impression of a company that doesn't care about its customers.

You can see from my join date (and I've been using your stuff much longer than that) that I know of a time when Corsair support was the absolute gold standard and that was one of the major buying influences for me. Not been like that for a while.

Thank you for understanding, man. I know many of you guys have been around for a while now, and I had seen you guys help out other members of this community, and we really appreciate that. On this particular matter, we just need to step up our game and not lose focus on issues at hand that needs immediate attention. Again, all relevant personnel have made aware of this and I am pretty sure that they have put this on their top priority list for them to address.

• Like 1

• Corsair Employee
Honestly I really appreciate the acknowledgement. I'm also talking to someone on reddit about the same issue. For now, I'm using OpenRGB to give myself some rudimentary control over my hardware lighting, but I do miss the ability to use fancy effects. However, my PC has now for the first time since having iCue installed been able to successfully go to sleep. iCue is a total CPU hog (for what it does) and it prevents PC's from entering sleep states. This has probably cost me quite a lot in electricity and it's unacceptable.

When I see these issues fixed I will happily reinstall. For now I do recommend OpenRGB.

Just a side note, OpenRGB is able to control the colouration of my Steelseries Rival 100 mouse, with no manufacturer software installed whatsoever. If iCue can take this and expand on it, to support other hardware, that would be incredible.

Right now OpenRGB can control lighting for:

ASUS, ASRock, Corsair, G.Skill, Gigabyte, HyperX, MSI, Razer, ThermalTake, and more supported

All with ZERO manufacturer software installed.

It's a real shame that every major manufacturer has RGB products available, and every major manufacturer requires their own specific brand of software.

iCue could lead the field in being the one central hub to control these devices. You recently partnered with Asus and this was a first great step, I'd like to see this extended towards EVGA too.

Thanks again.

This is a great feedback, thank you. I am sure our software team is constantly exploring other avenues to expand and enhance iCUE's capabilities. I agree with you on the Asus partnership, definitely a first great step and I think we'll take pointers from that and perhaps have conversation with other companies in the industry and see where they stand. I think at the end of the day, the objective here is the give our consumers the best user experience possible both in hardware and software. It may not be an easy task, but with you guys providing us valuable feedback, we can achieve that quicker.

• Corsair Employee
Well ... you might be working on it now but most issues just linger for years and/or come back.

I currently have Corsaair.Service eating 16% CPU on a i9700k. Some releases that goes down to 4% which is still way too much.

Every 2nd or 3rd iCue release is so buggy it's unusable.

Every 4-5 iCue release won't detect my Cooler.

And my Corsair keyboard repeats keys ... it only cost me $130 so that's fine.

It seems that way.. we had seen reports of this a few years back, then it gets resolved by releasing newer version of iCUE. Then a few months back, we see it again. Thanks to you guys, we've got all the data even a few years back that we need to make the proper diagnosis to see what's really causing it. With all that data, I am sure our software team will have a better understanding of this behavior and most likely figure out a way to put a fix in place once and for all.

For your KB, if its under warranty. I would contact our RMA team for support.

For your KB, if its under warranty. I would contact our RMA team for support.

Not my post you quoted, but the Corsair KB repeating keys has been an issue ever since you guys started making mechanical keyboards. I've had 5 or 6 different Corsair mechanicals, and iirc ALL of them have started repeating keys after a week or two of ownership (at least MX Brown & Red). Can't remember if my Corsair with MX Blue did it.

So why do I keep buying them? Because they can take the most beating. I've tried so many brands, and Corsair builds the keyboards very tough. But the day I find an even tougher brand, I'm gone. That's because of the repeating keys issue.

On topic though - my simple solution still works very well. Disable iCue on startup, save all lighting and fan settings to the hardware, and simply run the software if I want to make changes.

So, that means that for Ryzen you will also fix the no sleep issues with Icue?

They really need to, i uninstalled icue and wont buy corsair hardware again until it is fixed properly - the performance loss, and broken sleep (which prevents cores sleeping and therefore lowers max boost clocks) is a joke.

Greybeards being helpful here, but the tech support people i dealt with just treated it like a joke and waited a week each reply to say it's an AMD problem and just buy intel.