Corsair Community

New HX1200i tripping on start up

Fidaros

I bought a HX1200i last week and installed it which went flawlessly for about 2 days. However after those 2 days, it started to not start up each morning but keeps tripping instead.

I swapped back to my RM850x and it worked fine. Initially I suspected my motherboard and Asus gave me an express RMA for a new motherboard. Installed the motherboard with the HX1200i and it was still tripping. RMA'ed the HX1200i and the replacement came today.

So I test the HX1200i and this replacement HX1200i starts tripping right away. Not even a grace period of running smoothly for a few days. Swapped all the cables even and no luck, the HX1200i just keeps tripping.

And each time I swap back to the RM850x, it will just power up without a hitch.

This is a video of the RM850x running fine.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

This is the video of the HX1200i tripping at the start up.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Yes I am aware this video shows a single cable powering the 2080 Ti. I have since tested with 2 separate PCI-e 8 pin cables and it does not change a thing. The HX1200i still trips. That single cable will work fine on the RM850x.

I have sent Corsair a reply to my original RMA ticket on this situation and are still waiting to hear from them. I thought I should ask everyone here if they can also help.

If you have ideas on what to do, please share them. I would hate to have to ask for a return because I have always had a good experience with Corsair products.

• Corsair Employee

Two different HX1200i doing the same thing? That's more than a coincidence.

But you said you've even replaced all the cables. And since the RM and HXi use different 24-pin cables, you have to be using the 24-pin cable for the HXi.

Which brings up this question: Did you replace the 24-pin cable when you replaced the PSU? In other words: When you did the RMA, did you send all of the cables back with the PSU and did Corsair give you all new cables with the replacement?

The RM850x and HX1200i do not have compatible 24-pin cables. I have to change them when I swap between these 2 power supplies. The RM850x used its own 24-pin cable.

As for the 2 HX1200i, yes, the RMA process says it clearly to pack all the cables and send it back which I did. The 24-pin cable was changed and RMA'ed as part of the package. The first HX1200i and second HX1200i both used their own respective 24-pin cables from their box.

• Corsair Employee
The RM850x and HX1200i do not have compatible 24-pin cables.

I know. That's what I said.

Ok. So, it still seems to be short circuit protection. Can you try to POST with just the bare essentials (motherboard with CPU, cooler, RAM, no drives, no case fans, etc.) to see if you can at least get it to post? Don't even have the graphics card in there. Use the i7's UHD.

Okay, so I tried that. No go.

Removed the 2080 Ti, disconnected all the SSDs and HDDs and also the chassis fans. Still trips at the start.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

You can see in this video, I only connected the 24-pin and 8 pin of the CPU. I deliberately left the rear chassis fan connected this time because the CPU pump won't even light up before it trips so I left the fan to show it spinning and stopping when it trips. When that fan is disconnected, it does the same.

• Corsair Employee

That's not the 8-pin CPU cable that came with the HXi. Can you try a different 8-pin cable?

I mean.. it should be PINNED the same as the RMx, but maybe the caps in the cables are playing dirty with the HXi's protection circuitry.

• Corsair Employee
make sure the HX1200i is set for a single rail, that will make sure all the power is available pro re nata

If he can't even post, he can't change the rail configuration.

Besides, if it's just a motherboard and CPU, the load should be nowhere near the OCP trip point.

Just tried it. Still the same.

This is your board, right? https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-F-GAMING/

Maybe there's some weird compatibility issue with the power good signal timing.

Between the first PSU working and then not working, did you update the BIOS? Looks like the newest one was less than two months ago.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Yup that is the correct motherboard.

So this is the timeline of how everything went.

25 Sep: Received first HX1200i. Swapped out the RM850x for HX1200i#1. Worked fine.

27 Sep: First startup of the day started tripping. Trips for about 10 minutes before starting up.

28 Sep: Opened a CS ticket.

29 Sep: While investigating the issue, someone suggested that motherboard issues are usually responsible for this. Called Asus and they said to RMA it. Contacted Amazon who sold me the board and they did an advanced RMA for the motherboard.

30 Sep: Corsair CS says I should RMA the PSU.

1 Oct: New Asus motherboard arrives. Swapped it out. Still trips. Feeling heck of a guilty for wrongfully blaming Asus here but kudos to them, loyalty points for them. Returned old motherboard to Asus.

5 Oct: Corsair approves RMA. I send back HX1200i#1.

8 Oct: New HX1200i#2 arrives. Swapped it and dishearteningly, this one trips right away with no grace period unlike the first one. Sent a reply to Corsair CS and awaiting a reply.

9 Oct: Thought of asking here.

So basically no, I haven't changed the bios. This is a brand new motherboard that came from an Asus RMA a few days ago. The RM850x is happily running and I'm using this same PC powered with the RM850x to post this reply.

• Corsair Employee
Had a check of the bios version. It's not the latest, running a 2019 build. I'll flash that and get back here.

Cool. Do that.

If that doesn't work, I'll go into the office on Monday and try to run that same board with an HX1200i to see if I get the same thing.

Fair question. I was planning on a 3080 or 3090 along with adding 2 additional spinning drives for my work. I do ML work with cudnn and need to store video captures which I have to annotate and then perform supervised learning.

There are already 3 SSDs and 1 spinning HDD which is not enough storage needs so when I ran a PSU calculator, it was literally riding the limits of the 850W so to play it safe, I got this PSU.

• Corsair Employee
What are the chances that the HX1200 will have the same issues as this HX1200i?

I'm thinking of just asking CS to send me a HX1200 instead.

You're not going to believe this..... Asus was nice enough to test the board and PSU right away for me....

They said it fired right up. :(

Can they try it again on a 2nd day?

My experience with the first HX1200i was that it started up fine for 2 days and on the 3rd day, it started tripping.

The 2nd replacement HX1200i started tripping from day 1.

Edit: Is it possible it is a RAM+CPU+Motherboard combination causing the problem also? It doesn't even POST so I think it should be just the motherboard and PSU but I could be wrong.

Edited by Fidaros

• Corsair Employee
Can they try it again on a 2nd day?

My experience with the first HX1200i was that it started up fine for 2 days and on the 3rd day, it started tripping.

The 2nd replacement HX1200i started tripping from day 1.

Edit: Is it possible it is a RAM+CPU+Motherboard combination causing the problem also? It doesn't even POST so I think it should be just the motherboard and PSU but I could be wrong.

Well, you should be able to try it without the RAM installed. Should still power up.

I'm chasing down lot codes now. What's the first six digit of your PSU's serial number? And if you have that for the first PSU, I'd like to get that too.

And I will have Asus try the test again tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

The 3rd HX1200i arrived and it still unfortunately does not work.

This HX1200i has S/N: 20387191000005840178.

I can't keep testing the HX1200i like this. Going to call for a refund now.

Thanks Jonnyguru for your help with this, I very much appreciated it. If you need any more information from me, I will still be around to answer your queries on the problems I faced.

• Corsair Employee

I don't know how that happened. They weren't supposed to ship replacements from Almere when they first found this issue. Because everything going into the UK comes from Almere and they're all going to be around the same lot code.

I've emailed support.