Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D on Asus P5Q PRO

qnox

Hi all :)

I've installed two sets of CM2X2048-8500C5D ( 4x2048mb sticks) and after two-three weeks my PC starts giving me bluescreens.

After one of that BSoD I've ran memtest86+ v2.11 and it's display i 5 minutes multiple errors on addreses from 0 to 8195 MB - just like all four memory stics ware foulty.

After removing two sticks from blacks ports I've ran mt211.exe again - no errors after several minutes.

Then i've switched pairs - ran again and still no errors.

Next I've inserted both pairs - PC seems to be working OK for two days - then I've got again BSoD. I've do exacly the same tests with the same resoult - jus after BSoD multiple errors in memtest, after removing one pair of stics no error on both pairs.

In BIOS I have alost everyting on auto - it's sets 1066 and 2.10V, auto sets 5-5-5-18 instead of 5-5-5-15, but i didn't changed that.

BIOS is 2102 - latest from ASUS

hello,

please dont take this the wrong way, its not my intention to sound crass but it's gonna come out that way.

there are hundreds upon hundreds of posts like this on this forum, have you taken a moment to search before posting? [no]

the ONLY 4 stick set that is supported at full speed is SOLD as a 4 stick set, not 2+2 sticks.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

doesn't ANYONE use the friggin search button anymore? jeeez!

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/search.php

thank you for an answer - I'll try this.

but in my case you are mistaken: I was looking for both asus p5q pro and my memory module part number but I just didn't search for problem with 4 stics.

thank you anyway

As far i know this kind of forum is for helping people having problems with their Corsair product. I've try find solution myself using search, but I couldn't know that I should be looking for problems exacly for 4 modules of memory.

You assumed incorectly, that I didn't try using search. Your answer seems to be working for 2 hours right now perfectly, but your comment was totaly missed.

But no ofence taken ;)

Other thing is why this MOBO is claiming to work even with DDR2 with speed 1200MHz, but failed to work with 4 sticks with 1066 speed...

Other thing is why this MOBO is claiming to work even with DDR2 with speed 1200MHz, but failed to work with 4 sticks with 1066 speed...

Q » I have two Corsair Memory modules that work fine together but when I added two more modules of the matching part number, they won’t work.

A » We test these modules as they’re sold. In other words, a 2GB kit is tested only as a pair, not with two other modules. We’re not certain how two kits when put together will perform. While it is possible to get 2 separate kits working together, it will most likely require adjustments to be made in your BIOS to get the modules up and running. If possible, we suggest lowering your memory frequency and slightly increasing northbridge voltage. Please consult your motherboard manual for information on how to make these adjustments.

If you’re not comfortable making these adjustments, or if the BIOS doesn’t allow for these adjustments to be made, you might want to consider our 4GB memory kits.

as far as me responding like a "richard-slang" i truly apologize, ive been on this forum for a while and i see floods of similar questions and the staff here ends up cutting and pasting the SAME exact answer that could have been found when using the search parameter "four sticks" since thats where the problem always resides. not the specific hardware. it must be frustrating as heck for them as it is for me to see. since you did use the search feature but didnt search the problem you are still one step above the slew of users that dont even try. for my assumption again, i apologize for my attitude.

unfortunetly, I cannot make my MOBO work stable with two sets of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D.

I've try setting them as 800MHz and as 667MHz, both with 1.30 NB and 2.10 DDR.

I've try setting all timing on auto and manual.

In each case I've got BSoD :(

Doese anybody could give me any tip?

I'm starting to think about replacing these two sets with one quad sets, but I'm not sure if my seller would acctept this return.

obviously try ^^^^first.

is your bios up to date? there may be an improved compatibility bios out there?

why dont you try installing just 2 sticks, reset the bios, set the memory at 800 and manual timings as posted on the ram, increase the voltages mentioned a few posts above and let it boot into windows, shut down and install the other 2 chips and boot up and see if it works. i know with my striker anytime i do anything ram-wise i have to reset the bios or it gets real angry.

worth a free shot?

I'm right now running on spec given by RAM GUY and I'll leave memtest for night. If it wil not work I'll try your advice Synthohol ofcourse.

I've latest BIOS 2102.

I'll let you know if it will help.

Thanks anyway :)

Configuration suggested by RAM GUY did pass 4 times memtest86+ checks in last night.

It's looking promising, but when I had setting default to 1066 and everything on auto it happened to pass 8 times that memtest check and give me BSoD after few minutes of watching movie ;)

So I'm now running a lot of stress test that usualy give me o BSoD: multiple running VM, multiple compressing/decompressing of big files, copying whole disk to image and so on: and system seems to be stable :)

If it stay stable few days I'll update this topic with resoults.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules on that MB DDR667 or DDR800 would be required depending on the CPU FSB, most likely DDR800 will run stable with the settings I gave previously if not try adding .05 Volts to the NB.

unfortunetly, even setting 667MHz and NB to 1.50V gives me BSoD :(

Tonight I'll try Synthohol sugestion.

And I've checked latest QVL on ASUS web page - my MOBO is supposed to work with 4 modules that memory...

Hi!

As I mentioned before, I've done some test on both sets alone and it was OK.

But after your post RamGuy I've try not only do memtest86+ on both sets separatly, but also try to run my OS.

And it seems to be good idea: one pair after few hours make BSoD and after BSoD give me a lots of errors in memtest86+, the other pair are rigth now working stable for 48 hours :)

I've returned that faulty pair to seller and waiting for replacement. I hope that it was couse of my problems :)

unfortunetly, I cannot make my MOBO work stable with two sets of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D.

I've try setting them as 800MHz and as 667MHz, both with 1.30 NB and 2.10 DDR.

I've try setting all timing on auto and manual.

In each case I've got BSoD :(

Doese anybody could give me any tip?

I'm starting to think about replacing these two sets with one quad sets, but I'm not sure if my seller would acctept this return.

Hi I would like to warn you about MOBO and RAM! I had 2 P5QC and TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF G and both stopped working including 2 different VGA cards which is creepy.

The first one was working for about 4 month before BSOD started to appear and then finally stopped working. The second one died after 5 days for which I guess was on 1066 MHz and the first one was on 800MHz (I guess i forgot to set it to 10066).

If comp starts to act strange on boot after few weeks, start investigating before your MOBO fries.

regards

• 3 weeks later...

I've got replacments three days ago and until now system is running stable at 1066 @2.10V and NB at 1.30V with two sets of that memory (2x 2x2GB)

I think that would be all with my problem, thanks all of you for helping me :)

NP but please note DDR800 would be suggested when running two twin sets!

Hi, just curious.

Would it not be able to run two sets of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF (for 8 gig) at the rated speeds? I know they are not tested like that, but would it not be possible or should it always be run at 800?

I am planning on installing the above on my DFI Lanparty P35-T2R and would love if I could run them at at least stock settings (possibly even higher?).

Thanks for your help.

Archived