Corsair Community

H80i does not show up in Corsair Link - No USB connection. Fans loud too.

Ithaca

Hi all,

I just installed this cooler on my LGA1366 motherboard, and at first, I only had the fan issue.

Fans made a lot of noise (high pitched whining), and it seemed as if they were running at 100% all the time. When measuring decibel output on the fans they would produce a whopping 96db! I had already been provided with 4-pin PWM fans in the box, so I didn't really know what was going on. I googled. Read about a firmware upgrade.

I booted the machine into Windows 7 and installed Corsair Link. So far, so good. Link recognized my cooler and I began installing firmware version 1.0.7., as I had read that this could prevent the high pitched noise from the fans.

This is when it all went pear-shaped.

My cooler has firmware 1.0.7 now, but I cannot connect to the cooler via Corsair Link - it just does not show up. And I still have the high pitched whining noise from my fans! I would revert to the initial firmware that let me find my cooler in Corsair Link, but I CANNOT DO THIS, AS I CANNOT FIND THE COOLER IN CORSAIR LINK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I have tried the following:

- Switch between all available USB headers on the mobo. No luck.

- Plug in a micro/regular USB cable and plug the cooler into external USB ports (3.0., 2.0. and even 1.0. via a hub). No luck.

- Connecting without the USB plugged in, uninstalling all Corsair Link software and drivers, reboot, shut down, connect USB again, reinstall (this process has been done five times now). No luck.

Is my brand new H80i broken? Is there something simple that I have missed?

On top of this, I'm getting idle temperatures around 35* on a stock/downclocked i7 950 @2,6ghz, which is less than brilliant.

I'm considering going back to my old Zalman 9900 air cooler now. At least it's quiet and functions without a fuss.

Please help. This cooler cost me a lot of money, and I would hate for that to go to waste.

Is the H100i detected in Windows?

You can check by looking for "integrated USB Bridge" in Devices and Printers.

It's an H80I, but nevermind :)

No. It does not appear in Devices & Printers, no matter which internal USB header or external plug is used.

Idle temperatures aren't what you want to look out for. What are your load temperatures like?

Load temps with that downclocked i7 950 is 52. Which is fine.

What I seriously need to address is the fan noise and the USB connectivity.

That's fair. It sounds like the firmware update bricked the cooler somehow.

Contact tech support and see if they can help you, they might suggest you advance RMA the cooler.

If I were you, I'd bug them for an H80i GT for my troubles. ;)

Can I quote you on that? ;)

I have been in contact with the retailer, and they will do the RMA for me. Just have to return the cooler. This'll happen tomorrow :)

In the meantime, I will make due on my old air cooler. It works, but just not as well as the H80i (tempwise, for now).

Archived