Corsair Community

Link 4 PSU fan control

aceisme

Could someone from Corsair please send feedback to Link development team to have the Custom Fan Adjustments starting lower than 40% in future Link releases? Preferably it should start at 0% (no fan spinning), but even 20% should be better than what it currently is on. I am using Corsair H850i power supply and the fan is quite loud at the minimum possible adjustment of 40%.

Capture.JPG.ef24a0d462b991ae3a2bcaac9072a463.JPG

Could someone from Corsair please send feedback to Link development team to have the Custom Fan Adjustments starting lower than 40% in future Link releases? Preferably it should start at 0% (no fan spinning), but even 20% should be better than what it currently is on. I am using Corsair H850i power supply and the fan is quite loud at the minimum possible adjustment of 40%.

Yeah, I've asked about this. I've been told it's "by design". :(:

What exactly does "by design" mean? It's the code in the software that limits fan adjustments to a minimum of 40%. With older LINK software I could adjust fans less than 40%.

Bottom line, is this going to be looked at and fixed in future LINK release?

What exactly does "by design" mean? It's the code in the software that limits fan adjustments to a minimum of 40%. With older LINK software I could adjust fans less than 40%.

Bottom line, is this going to be looked at and fixed in future LINK release?

From what I've been told, it's a requirement from the PSU team. So I'm thinking it's not likely. The only way to get zero RPM for the PSU is to set it to default and let the PSU do it's thing.

It should be noted that if you don't 'need' that fan running then don't run it. the PSU is one of the hardest to clean components in your Pc. while that fan isn't running it's not coating its self and its internals in insulating dust that's hard to remove ;).. This is prob part of the zero RPM design in the first place ;)..

Should also be noted that the Zero Rpm design is Factored into the Life span of the Psu and indeed the life span of the Fan.,, Fans do not like to be mounted horizontally. it's not good for their bearings. some times you have no choice though. the temp point the Fan starts to spin up is more than within the PSU's operating range.. I think i would prefer the fan lasted it's 10yrs than try to run it that little bit cooler 'because I can' and have it die earlier.....

Edited by Zotty

From what I've been told, it's a requirement from the PSU team. So I'm thinking it's not likely. The only way to get zero RPM for the PSU is to set it to default and let the PSU do it's thing.

Now that is really silly. Why 40% though? That's half of the max fan speed. They should at least bring it down to 30% surely.

I have just measured the fan speed. At 100% the fan spins at 1488 RPM. At 40% it spins at 736 RPM. That's like 50% not 40%. I need to be able to spin that fan around 500 RPM!!!

I would love to know the reason behind this requirement because to me it makes no sense.

Default setting is not an option for me because the fan stays OFF most of the time. While it might not sound like much, but a bit of air flow will bring the PSU temperature down by 10C (from 37C to 27C) on low load. Over a longer period, that will make a big difference in the PSU reliability.

Edited by aceisme

It should be noted that if you don't 'need' that fan running then don't run it. the PSU is one of the hardest to clean components in your Pc. while that fan isn't running it's not coating its self and its internals in insulating dust that's hard to remove ;).. This is prob part of the zero RPM design in the first place ;)...

But I do need that fan running, just not at 736 RPM. With my setup, I do not have a dust problem so the PSU will always stay clean inside. I never liked a zero RPM design idea for just about any electronic components let alone an 850W power supply. If I leave it on default, the fan doesn't spin until it gets to almost 300W. At that point the temperature inside will be around 60C. I wonder at this point what the temperature of the switching transistors would be.

Yeah, my PSU rarely gets over 40C as well (not so in hot summer days), but even at this temperature the components inside will deteriorate in the long run. I like to have a continuous slow flow of air inside the PSU but not at 40% of the fan capacity. I would like to be able to get the fan down to at least 500 RPM or lower but the LINK-4 software would not allow me to do that. Previous LINK software I had no issues in achieving that low RPM range but not with this latest LINK software. I would like to hear an explanation from Corsair regarding this Link-4 limitation in PSU fan control. Why do they even give you a custom fan control if you can't even customise it to your needs?

• 2 years later...

I'm annoyed as well that I can't run the fan lower than 40%.

One of the reasons I want to run the fan is so that the PSU doesn't heat up the rest of the case. If I could run the fan at 20-30% it would be optimal I think.

I got so tired of the fan noise so even tried to change the fan out today on my RM1000i to a Noctua (sorry Corsair). No success though because the holes are spaced 120mm on the Corsair RM1000i fan as opposed to 125mm on any standard 140mm fan.