Corsair Community

problem with commander pro and ql fan120.

metalist

Hello

I have a 570X case, with which I got a RGB hub, and I also have a Commander Pro.

I have another fan (QL120), which I would like to add to the RGB hub of 570X, and control it via Commander Pro, but I realized it is problematic to mix types. so I tried to connect a ql fan into the hub alone, and the hub connecting directly to Commander Pro, the problem is that rgb hardly works, or is very weak.

I before tried to connect the rgb cable of ql fan directly to the motherboard and there too was exactly the same thing.

what should I do?

Could it be that this rgb hub is not compatible TO QL?

Is it possible to connect the rgb cable of ql fan directly to the commander pro at a rgb port?

And if not , what will I have to add?

I was sure Commander Pro would solve the problem.

Thank you very much.

so I tried to connect a ql fan into the hub alone, and the hub connecting directly to Commander Pro, the problem is that rgb hardly works, or is very weak.

This should work. All the hubs and Core devices can take all of the fans, except the much older SP-RGB.

Can you elaborate more on hardly works/weak? The LEDs have weak brightness? There is no control in CUE? The LEDs are erratic or flickering?

You connected the QL directly to a MB RGB header? That can be very bad. If it was a 12v RGB header, the fan is likely damaged. If 5v D-RGB, it might be OK, but is still possible.

Hi. thanks for the reply.

As shown in the pictures, the fan hardly does RGB, only very weak blue light. In ICUE he is not identified at all, no matter what I do. I definitely know that HUB and Commander Pro work well, because all the RGB of the fans respond excellently. Indeed before that I accidentally connected it to a board header where the voltage is 12V, so most likely it was destroyed? Right? What does it mean destroyed? Because the fan itself works fine, only RGB does not.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.5288aac7a8400e55e3cdec64fd8c545b.JPG

All the Corsair RGB fans have separate power delivery for fan motor and RGB, hence the two wires. The failure of one should not affect the other. If you connected it to a 12v RGB header, you applied a much larger dose than the 5v Corsair RGB LEDs were designed to carry. This is usually what happens.

However, make sure everything is set up correctly. CUE does not identify fans automatically (except on the new Commander Core). You must tell it what's there. Make sure Lighting Set-up is set for at least 1 QL fan. Then apply instant lighting to see if it will light up. Unfortunately, the result is probably the same.

Of course I did, and the result is the same.

If I will add a new QL, is there a way to connect it directly to Commander Pro?? and not add another HUB or something between them ??may be there is a splitter cable from 3 to 4 PIN that can work ?? !!

Thanks

Edited by metalist

For the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro you must have a RGB Lighting Hub. The C-Pro and LNP are just the lighting controller. The RGB Lighting Hub is the power. In later Core devices (Commander Core and Lighting Node Core) those two pieces are combined into one package, but there is no free lunch. In order to keep the size reasonable, Core devices are essentially one RGB channel vs two on the C-Pro/LNP and for fans only - no strips/Hydro X.

The SP-RGB on the front of the 570x are something of a problem and really do not mix with other fan types. Normally that is a recommendation for normal control, but you really don't want the QL on the same hub. So if you don't have a RGB hub, you won't be able to connect the QL or any other fan type to the Commander. Unfortunately, the easiest solution is go deeper into the ecosystem. I am guessing you have the original SP-RGB on the front. A triple pack of QL120 for the top/rear will come with a Lighting Node Core that can power the three QL fans and connect back to the system via USB 2 (not the RGB channel). That can be to MB directly or through the Commander's passthrough ports. You would then have two separate lighting groups (front SP-RGB and internal QL).

You also might be able to find a RGB Lighting Hub by itself. The normal cost is $10 USD from Corsair, but they are hard to find. Watch out for extreme markups from 3rd parties. I see them regularly being sold for $40+.