Corsair Community

Not enough USB headers!

smart

I just upgraded my old ASROCK Fatality MB to a newer MSI Gaming Pro Carbon x470, and have discovered a horrible crippling feature. I can only attach two USB 2.0 devices to each internal USB 2.0 header.

Even self powered devices like the Lighting Pro are not recognized if there are more than 2.

I have 2 USB 2.0 headers on the MB, and way to many corsair devices.

Corsair H1200i PSU (it was only $109 open box on Amazon, don't judge!)

Corsair Commander Pro

Corsair Lighting Pro x 2

Corsair Gaming K95 Platinum

Corsair Dark Core RGB

Fans LL120 x 5

LL140 x 3

RGB Strips x 8

On my ASROCK MB I had attached a 1 x 4 unpowered USB splitter, but that simply doesn't work with the new x470 MB.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? I am considering as a work around purchasing the NZXT powered USB 2.0 splitters, but hate to do if it a powered splitter extra headers are not going to be recognized by the motherboard either.

Oh, yes. Many of us have experienced this problem. Motherboard makers have gotten super-stingy with the USB 2.0 headers. I have an old z97 board with something like 5 USB headers on it ... you just don't find that anymore.

Personally, I use the NZXT internal hub as well as the additional headers on the Commander Pro. It works well even though it has an icky Molex power connector.

Oh, yes. Many of us have experienced this problem. Motherboard makers have gotten super-stingy with the USB 2.0 headers. I have an old z97 board with something like 5 USB headers on it ... you just don't find that anymore.

Personally, I use the NZXT internal hub as well as the additional headers on the Commander Pro. It works well even though it has an icky Molex power connector.

Question. Is your NZXT hub on a USB 2.0 Header that specifically says supports 2 x USB 2.0? And if so, are you able to attach more than 2 devices at the same time to the hub? I know it is powered, so I am hoping your answer is yes.

I have used a NZXT internal hub but removed it in favour of a (smaller) bare bones internal hub like this - USB 2.0 10-Pin Header 1-to-4 Internal USB Hub 4-Port Splitter Board. Mine is actually more like the Mayitr Internal USB 2.0 Motherboard Header Splitter Cable Hub but I got it from eBay.

My concern with these is power - they are unpowered. The Commander Pro (CoPro) and Lighting Node Pro (NoPro) both draw power from USB. It's not a lot but ... it's there. That was a big reason that I went with the NZXT hub.

But ... if it's working for you, can't argue with working, right? Options are always good. :)