Corsair Community

How much hardware do I need to buy to make this work?

smart

Ok, I started with the following:

H100i Liquid Cooler

RM750 Power Supply

Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x8)

Corsair Obsidian 750D Case

Corsair Force LX Series 256GB SSD

I also purchased the Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit and it does not connect to anything except the power supply's corsair link connector. There are no corsair link connectors that I can see on the H100i

I was positive I read here on the corsair website that the H100i functioned as a mini commander, but there are no connectors to plug any of this stuff together...I have one USB header available on my MoBo which I have plugged the H100i into and I am able to control only the lighting on the H100i emblem on the CPU block and fans connected directly to the H100i.

This is frustrating to say the least. Is there a simple tutorial that shows what goes with what, what connectors are required, and how much other stuff I need to buy before it all works?

I was hoping to be able to control all of my fans and lighting.

I am scared to death of buying another component for this and finding that it does not do what I want it to do either, without buying even more stuff.

I am $490 into corsair parts and not too happy that each time I finally think I have it figured out, the connectors don't connect.

How many USB headers do i need on the motherboard to make this all work? How does it all connect? What else do I need to make fan control and lighting control work?

To make it work you need a CLCC (http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/corsair-commander-mini).

Do you mean RM750 or RM750i? You can connect the RM750i and H100i using C-Link cables to the CLCC and will need one USB header.

For other USB connection options have a look at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137705.

You could do H100i -> Lighting Node -> LEDs, but the Lighting Node is no longer available.

No...I have the RM750 Power Supply. It states in the item description and has a connector on the back for Corsair Link

I see that the RM750i has another connector that looks a bit like a mini-USB. but the item description for the RM750 states:

"Corsair Link compatible Want even more? RM Series power supplies connect to Corsair Link hubs (available separately) for real-time monitoring of fan speed and power delivery directly from your desktop."

The cable that came with the RM750 that connects to the c-link connector on the power supply has a split end, one three prong female (looks a bit like a fan connector) and one two prong female (no idea what it might connect to).

Does that mean that I cannot connect my power supply? What is the connector on the back for?

I am still confused about the USB connectors, does each individual component require an independent USB connector? My motherboard came with 2, both are supposed to support 2 USB devices, but the H100i connector occupies all of the pins of a single header, and I don't see a way to connect another device.

Why does the H100i say in it's description:

"Corsair Link monitoring and control

Monitor temperature and control lighting and fan speed on your screen. No additional hardware is necessary."

OK about the RM750, I asked as your specs say Corsair 750RM so I was unsure. I would fix them. It might be the same connector, but it will not work to control LEDs. You need a http://www.corsair.com/en/corsair-link-analog-to-digital-bridge-cable-for-rm-series-psu for the RM750.

You can do as I said in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759634 to connect two things to the same USB Header.

I expect the H100i is talking about the internal LED.

Were it my system I would set it up as:

USB -> CLCC -> H100i
           -> LEDS

USB -> RM Adapter -> RM PSU

Rather the connect the H100i to the CLCC you could do USB -> H100i.

In general I find the Corsair documentation to be either absent, out of date or lacking detail.

Thanks for the reply red-ray.

So if I connect a CLCC to a USB on my Mobo I should be able to connect the LEDs and H100i to the CLCC?

I am trying to figure this out before I buy yet another component to discover that it does not connect either.

Should the cable that came with the H100i connect to the CLCC or would I need to get another cable too?

I get the feeling that Corsair is depending on their brand name to sell these products, and at some point we will quit being stupid enough to buy in without checking them out first. Had I done a bit of due diligence I would have chosen an alternate product that wasn't quite so buggy.

I suppose if Corsair doesn't step up and start supporting their product I could spend a few hours on other forums warning others about this.

As a side note...I am staring at this cable that came with the RM750 and cannot figure out what it was intended to connect to. Is it just a red herring? Does it serve any purpose by itself, or would you have to buy another product anyways, no matter what your configuration is?

Have you tried the Corsair Link module on Linux recently? I am able to adjust my fan speed on the H100i with the Corsair Link software using Windows, then turn off my computer and restart in Linux (Ubuntu 15.04) and the fan speeds maintain their settings. I have not really stress tested in Linux though, to see if the fans adjust by temperature or just let your CPU slag.

Ok, I started with the following:

H100i Liquid Cooler

RM750 Power Supply

Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x8)

Corsair Obsidian 750D Case

Corsair Force LX Series 256GB SSD

I also purchased the Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit and it does not connect to anything except the power supply's corsair link connector. There are no corsair link connectors that I can see on the H100i

I was positive I read here on the corsair website that the H100i functioned as a mini commander, but there are no connectors to plug any of this stuff together...I have one USB header available on my MoBo which I have plugged the H100i into and I am able to control only the lighting on the H100i emblem on the CPU block and fans connected directly to the H100i.

This is frustrating to say the least. Is there a simple tutorial that shows what goes with what, what connectors are required, and how much other stuff I need to buy before it all works?

I was hoping to be able to control all of my fans and lighting.

I am scared to death of buying another component for this and finding that it does not do what I want it to do either, without buying even more stuff.

I am $490 into corsair parts and not too happy that each time I finally think I have it figured out, the connectors don't connect.

How many USB headers do i need on the motherboard to make this all work? How does it all connect? What else do I need to make fan control and lighting control work?

If your running low on usb ports,try this,their very dependable

http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-IU01-Internal-Expansion-Black/dp/B0031ESKJA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1437845072&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+internal

And dont be swayed from buying certain products,use your own judgement as this is a forum for trouble shooting issues and most have no reason to come here unless an issue happens

There are a few that go way out of their way to slam products simply because of personal obvious reasons.

I myself have 3 builds running hydros with Link connected since June 2012,each running temp curves without any big issues...

If your running low on usb ports,try this,their very dependable

http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-IU01-Inte...s=usb+internal

But...do I need to have more USB ports to make all of this work??? If I get the $80 CL module will I be able to connect

USB   ->   CL Module   ->  H100i
                                          ->  RM750
                                          ->  LEDs

?

Or do I need 2 USB headers to connect these three devices?

I have something like 12 external USB ports, but only 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 internal.

Your gonna need 2 usb ports but if you have a usb.mini cable you can connect to an exterior rear port which is actually much more dependable than a internal header...

Why can't he move the pins and just use one USB header? See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759634

The ASRock 990FX Extreme9 has 2 x USB 2.0 headers (support 4 USB 2.0 ports)

Urban myth? Internal and Rear are equally reliable and I have never had an issue using an internal USB header on any of my 30+ systems.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20857&stc=1&d=1423697419

Ive never tried moving the pins,ample m/b headers is a priority for me when choosing a m/b so Ive never had an issue.

And using a external rear usb port has helped with several issues here on the board as m/b headers are shared where as external ones are proprietary...

And using a external rear usb port has helped with several issues here on the board as m/b headers are shared where as external ones are proprietary...

Thinking back I seem to recall in the early days of USB there was no standard pin-out for internal USB headers. Thankfully those days are long gone. I expect this is when the Urban Myth started:p:

Id bet 9 out of 10 current users couldn't get the hardware and software working in computers from 15 years ago,most everything of today is virtually plug and play.

Even when W95 first came out we always used to feel it was Plug and Pray :laughing:

Even when W95 first came out we always used to feel it was Plug and Pray :laughing:

95 was the bomb,totally revolutionary;): ,I used till 2001

Networking was a total nightmare,certainly not for newbies,even setting up the dial up was tedious...

Archived