Corsair Community

issue with MP510 and Alienware m15

So I installed an NVMe 1TB MP510 SSD in to my new laptop. It runs fine. However, anytime I restart the laptop, it hangs at a black screen and the keyboard lights still on. I have to force shut it down cold boot it. The laptop starts and shuts down just fine... the issue only comes up when I try to restart. I know it's the SSD because if I take it out, the laptop is fine.

I have verified it's not the SSD port because I swapped the ports in the laptop. Same issue.

I put the SSD in another laptop and there was no issue.

So it has something to do with how the laptop communicates with the SSD. I've gone through all the tech support options with alienware. No issues were found. Their recommendation was to see if there are any firmware updates for this SSD. I see that there is a toolbox for firmware updates, but I'm not comfortable using it because 1) it says the laptop needs to be set to AHCI and I don't feel comfortable changing that. And 2), I see a few posts about issues updating firmware.

I'm looking for suggestions? I think it has something to do with how the laptop sees the SSD on reboot? Is there something I could try in the boot options/BIOS screen? I have a feeling this has more to do with the laptop, but I'm trying to get suggestions. Thanks!

IMHO, it is far more likely to be an issue with the laptop firmware / configuration than with the firmware of the NVMe drive. I'm guessing that your MP510 is running either 12.1 or 12.2 firmware.

If the issue is only with restarts, then that suggests to me that it may be concerned with power states. You should have some control over these in the laptop BIOS, however, before playing with them, I would first ensure that you have all of the very latest Intel chipset drivers installed in your OS (presumably Windows 10?). Also, have a good look at the power profile that Windows is applying to to the new drive. Is this NVMe being used as the Windows boot drive?

You implied that your drive is not configured for AHCI in the BIOS. Are you sure about that? If not, then are you using Intel RST (normally only used for RAID configurations, but can work with a single drive)? I actually have a pair of these drives on my Aorus Master mobo, configured for RAID, however, to set this up, it was necessary to give "ownership" of the NVMe controllers to Intel RST, in the machine BIOS. The default mode is AHCI. I don't know Alienware laptops, but it seems unlikely to me that they would be shipped with RAID enabled. If I am wrong about this, then make sure that you have the latest RST drivers installed from Intel's web site (not Dell's).

Corsair have not yet updated their SSD Toolbox to upgrade the MP510 series drives. It was promised last month, but never actually materialised. Note that AFAIK, SSD Toolbox will not detect any SSD drive that is not using the standard Microsoft AHCI driver.

Edited by Yemble

• 2 weeks later...
So I installed an NVMe 1TB MP510 SSD in to my new laptop. It runs fine. However, anytime I restart the laptop, it hangs at a black screen and the keyboard lights still on. I have to force shut it down cold boot it. The laptop starts and shuts down just fine... the issue only comes up when I try to restart. I know it's the SSD because if I take it out, the laptop is fine.

I have verified it's not the SSD port because I swapped the ports in the laptop. Same issue.

I put the SSD in another laptop and there was no issue.

So it has something to do with how the laptop communicates with the SSD. I've gone through all the tech support options with alienware. No issues were found. Their recommendation was to see if there are any firmware updates for this SSD. I see that there is a toolbox for firmware updates, but I'm not comfortable using it because 1) it says the laptop needs to be set to AHCI and I don't feel comfortable changing that. And 2), I see a few posts about issues updating firmware.

I'm looking for suggestions? I think it has something to do with how the laptop sees the SSD on reboot? Is there something I could try in the boot options/BIOS screen? I have a feeling this has more to do with the laptop, but I'm trying to get suggestions. Thanks!

Don't worry I have the exact same issue Alienware m17 2019 r1. I recently bought two mp510 480 gb SSD. I can surely tell there is nothing wrong with the Alienware in any form or way but something is wrong with the corsair SSD itself. Best guess is the SSD firmware. I'm not sure if there is any new firmware on the market for it's phison controller. I can assure you I am the same boat as u and I am pissed since I can't return the SSD since there is no return policy for me to exchange to a different model SSD.

Hi, I have exat the same Problem with my 960 MP510 in a Fujitsu Notebook since the first day. Sadly I cannot find a way to Update the Firmware to 12.2 but the Corsair Support say that there is a update and it will be puplished soon. But I wait since six month. Since many weeks I read that New Devices are deliverd with 12.2. But the SSD Toolbox displays that no new Firmware is availeble :(

Hi, I have exat the same Problem with my 960 MP510 in a Fujitsu Notebook since the first day. Sadly I cannot find a way to Update the Firmware to 12.2 but the Corsair Support say that there is a update and it will be puplished soon. But I wait since six month. Since many weeks I read that New Devices are deliverd with 12.2. But the SSD Toolbox displays that no new Firmware is availeble :(

You can update but u need to set achi in your bios. U need download the toolbox and update the toolbox. There is a icon at the bottom that u need to press and option is available to check for update.

Same issue with Acer Aspire 7 and MP510 960GB.

Set in BIOS to Sata Mode, reinstall Windows 10 and it works.

There's something wrong with Optane Controller.

Edited by Acer7

A little Updae from me and my SSD. It seems that the Update from 12.1 to 12.3 (found here in this forum) has solved my Problem. Now i can change settings in the efi of my notebook and save this without having trouble to boot the notebook. Thanks all!

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I have the same problem. Tried everything.

Ssd toolbox doesn't do anything when I push the update firmware button. My version is 12.2.

Do you have the link for 12.3?

Does upgrading to 12.3 format the drive? I have windows installed on that drive.

Kind regards.

Hi.

I have the same problem. Tried everything.

Ssd toolbox doesn't do anything when I push the update firmware button. My version is 12.2.

Do you have the link for 12.3?

Does upgrading to 12.3 format the drive? I have windows installed on that drive.

Kind regards.

Here: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188547

This is a non-destructive update from 12.x to 12.3. I have used this to successfully upgrade two Corsair MP510 drives and a Silicon Power A80 drive.

Edited by Yemble

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I have a MP510 with 12.3 firmware version but my harddrive keep getting errors. I swapped my primary disk from MP510 to Samsung 850 PRO to solve BSOD but MP510 keeps failing as secondary disck. I have tried to install Call of Duty Warzone and battle.net hangs up. Many disk errors on System Log. When the MP510 was the first drive sometimes my PC rebooted and don't recognize the harddrive. I bought this sdd less than two months ago. Anyone can help-me? My mobo is a Gigabyte Z390 designare.

Best regards

Edited by fenrrir