Corsair Community

H110i GT pump failure

Treadpool

I noticed some abnormal temps over the past couple months on my 5930k and realized the slight bubbling noise I would always hear from my pump circulating was gone. Not sure how long but there is no noise anymore. Assuming installation is done correctly, is there a way the pump could be turned off? There's no BIOS options for that on my ASUS x99a II board, so assuming pump failure.

Stock temps w XMP enabled are idle at 50, load at 80. That's at 1.19v - not high. I tried re-applying paste (using Noctua paste) twice with same results.

Before something went wrong and with a 4.37 overclock at 1.2v,my temps were 60 at load - maybe reaching 65. Idle around 40.

Assuming pump.

If you are using Link, you should be able to get a pump speed. If not, you still may be able to get one with H110i/GT using other monitoring software. Even absent all that, when you have a failing pump or flow restriction of some kind, your temps will seem almost normal on cold boot. Then they will slowly rise into that 40-60C range at idle. If the pump is stopped completely, this will happen rather quickly, but far short of the instantaneous rise when you have a contact problem. From what you have said, it looks like a flow problem of some type. Put in a technical help request from the main page. You will need a separate login and password for that site. This is the first step to RMA the cooler.

Thanks, c-attack. Much appreciated.

When I look at my min temps in HWMonitor, they are normal (mid-30s) but then the max temps listed show a rise to 50+. This must happen quickly because when I look at temps after booting up, there are at 50+. I'd definitely say I don't have a contact problem as I was very careful each time I applied the paste to ensure even placement and tightening. After removing the unit when re-applying the paste the first time, the paste looked evenly spread out too.

It's not likely a contact issue based on your information. The temps really are instantaneous and you would never be able to watch it rise. It's as fast the voltage being applied on and off.

If the pump is stopped completely, you could get into 50's before you hit the desktop. If you wanted to be thorough, you could switch the molex connector, the PSU port it runs from, or anything else related to the power delivery, but I suspect that is not the issue. Unfortunately, the pump tends to be the weak link in these system, although in fairness it is also the most complicated part.

Go ahead and start the help ticket/RMA process anyway. It's non-binding, so if you discover a miraculous fix, everyone will be happy.

It's not likely a contact issue based on your information. The temps really are instantaneous and you would never be able to watch it rise. It's as fast the voltage being applied on and off.

If the pump is stopped completely, you could get into 50's before you hit the desktop. If you wanted to be thorough, you could switch the molex connector, the PSU port it runs from, or anything else related to the power delivery, but I suspect that is not the issue. Unfortunately, the pump tends to be the weak link in these system, although in fairness it is also the most complicated part.

Go ahead and start the help ticket/RMA process anyway. It's non-binding, so if you discover a miraculous fix, everyone will be happy.

Well I went and picked up an H115i. For science. Heat issue solved by swapping them out. No problems.

EXCEPT that this pump seems to rattle in Quiet mode. Sounds like tiny plastic marbles shuffling or rapidly bouncing. Performance mode is completely silent. So odd. Any idea what that is?

EDIT: I have the pump mounted with the logo perpendicular to the floor because the USB connector had more room to reach. When I tip my case backward to make the logo parallel to the floor the rattle stops. I supposed the noise is because of the way it's mounted?

1309262284_2016-12-1421_58_08.thumb.jpg.8b967893abaaa09081a97a3f87ed9012.jpg

The pump orientation should not matter. I am a little concerned that tipping it relieves the problem. That suggests the pump was not assembled correctly or their is another internal issue. Unfortunately, pump noise seems to be the #1 complaint on the H115i. However, I don't have a logical explanation for the disappearance at the higher speed. That is where most of the complaints originate.

Small possibility there are some bubbles or other restrictions at the pump strainer. At high speed, there is sufficient force to flow through. Not enough at low. Turn the case on its side overnight. Leave the system running so the pump continues. This was an old fix for air bubbles, although your description of the sound doesn't quite match that particular problem. It is however, an easy step to try while deciding on the next course of action.

For the hell of it, I adjusted the orientation so the logo is parallel to the ground (and replaced the paste). Now, it seems the noise is gone when set to Quiet, and reappears when set to Performance. So odd.

Will give it a day or two to see if it settles and any air bubbles dissipate.

Here's an audio sample of the rattle.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4988080/Rattle.m4a

The reversal of fortune on the alignment suggests it is indeed some type of mechanical issue and gravity is playing a part in its performance. It should not. I would be in favor of returning this to the vendor, either for exchange or to take another path entirely.

I can't make out a lot from the audio clip, but I'll take your word for it. Regardless, it appears to be a clear irritant. I made the mistake once of trying alleviate the symptoms of this type of problem with sound dampening, re-positioning, and piles of rubber gaskets. I got 9 months of headaches. There is no reason to work this hard for reasonably quiet cooling.

Totally agree. Will give it a day to see how it pans out and return to Microcenter if it's not working out. Even more of an annoyance because I have to gut my entire system again to pull it out and return it because of the proximity of the radiator/fans to the mobo. :/

I'm hoping they send me an RMA unit to replace my failed H110i GT pump - and then I can return this one making the noises to Microcenter. Will see.

After having it on its side for about 8 hours it seems to have alleviated majority of the noise. The real test will be later when I turn it back on after about 24 hours of being off. That will determine if it really worked. Great idea though, c-attack.

Either way, I have a H110i coming from Corsair to replace my original broken unit. Will probably swap that in, test it, and return the 115i to Microcenter if the 110i pump is proper silent.

What a pain in the *** this all is.

UPDATE: Hard to tell if having it on the side worked at all. It seems to make noise when I'm in the BIOS or before I'm booted into Windows. Once in Windows, presumably once Link kicks in, the sound is less but still audible. /shrug

Archived