Corsair Community

Ax1000 Fan curve

ShadowNeko

When in silent mode the fan is usually off but sometimes even when I've been idling for a while the fan turns on and when it turns on it turns on at full speed making a very loud WHOOOSH sound. It then settles down and is still audible but to an acceptable range. Why does it do this whenever the fan turns on I have already rmaed my first PSU and the second one has this same problem. I'm just wondering if this is intended behaviour?

Most PSU fans have a specific start-up voltage that must be loaded before it can then drop it to lower the fan to the appropriate speed. It sounds like you are hitting the temperature threshold for the fan activation so it comes on at the 1800-2000 rpm max, then settles down to the quiet ~750 rpm minimum. This is common behavior and one potential annoyance with zero rpm or ECO modes. I have 2-3 other branded units that behave the same way. In Summer, it's not hard to get to 40C PSU temp at idle. Heat will build in the PSU case and if you case temp is starting in the low 30s, you'll get to fan activation point soon enough. The simplest solution may be to leave zero mode off if the room/case conditions are warm. It's the 12v power on burst that is likely the annoyance, not the actual running RPM.

Yea but this has been happening since February and I live in Canada and it's not that hot here. I also didn't have this problem with my evga p2 on eco mode this also doesn't happen to my GPUs which has a similar feature as the eco mode. So I would expect it not to happen to a premium $300 PSU.

No, the Supernova comes on at the start-up voltage and stays there. Consistently loud. A GPU and a PSU are not the same thing and your GPU does not have DC fan motors. Apples and oranges.

If the temperature inside case is cool and below 30C (assuming +10C inside the box for passive mode) and the fan is still kicking on, contact support. If the fan kicks on and then immediately stops, that also suggests an issue. The start-up voltage “blast” is a common characteristic for many PSUs, but perhaps someone else has model specific comparative information. When you cold boot the PC, does the fan come on for a few seconds? Or remain off when in passive mode.