Corsair Community

iCue causing entire PC to freeze

liberty610

Hi guys,

I have browsed the forums to see if anyone else has posted this same issue, but I have not seen it yet. So I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I have the K70 LUX RGB keybaord, the M65 Pro RGB mouse, and the MM800 RGB Polaris mouse pad that are being run with the iCue software. I run a small project studio where i do a lot of video editing and music production, and I have a multi-media PC built to handle it all. A quick rundown of my setup:

Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard with AMD Threadripper 1950x, 32GB of ram, GTX 1080 11gb graphics card (MSI), Windows 10 Pro 64bit (v1803), with several SSD and HHDs for storage. My entire setup is listed here at PC Parts Picker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/BqHhP6

About 2 weeks ago, my entire system started freezing at random times and becoming un-responsive. Ctrl+Delete wouldn't work, mouse pointer would freeze, ect. My system is mostly for production work, but I am also a casual gamer. These freezes have mostly happened while playing sessions of Rocket League. I thought it might be related to the game itself, but earlier this week I was in the middle of a music production session where my digital audio workstation program 'Reaper' froze up.

I discovered months ago that the cue software (older versions before iCue came in) were locking up controllers I was using on Steam games. I found this out when I was browsing the Steam forums for a controller issue I was having. A user on their forums that said if you are running the Corsair Cue software, to unplug all Corsair USB devices running with cue and it would unlock/un-freeze Steam and fix the controller issue, which worked for me.

Remembering that, I decided to see if the new iCue software was causing these hard lockups/freezes of my entire system. So the last 4 times that my system froze ( 3 times during gaming sessions, one time during music production work), I unplugged all 3 USB cables for the corsair mouse, keyboard, and mouse pad. A few seconds later, my system unlocked and became responsive again. I could then plug the Corsair items back in and everything would be back to normal.

I called Corsair tech support and the tech I talked to told me to open a ticket (whcih i have done). He also said to un-install the Corsair iCue software, open the %appdata% folder and delete all the Corsair folders/files, run CCleaner registry cleaner, reboot, and then re-install the latest iCue software version off the website. I have done all fo this, and yesterday I had another freeze during a gaming session where unplugging all the Corsair USB items un-froze the system.

I have updated my ticket to inform them that I am still having this issue, but has anyone else experienced this? I am running the latest BIOS for my motherboard, and all the latest drivers for the USB ports and chipsets.

Any suggestions on this matter would be great! I have a good amount of money wrapped up in this keyboard/mouse setup and I would like to get rid of this issue. If my system freezes during a recording session with musicians, it could be crucial to a recording take.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/help.

i have only personally seen this when i plug in a steam controller dongle after booting or during a game (which i do every now and then with mixed results. It usually locks up the system but unlocks after about 20-30 seconds. that said, it often crashes the system and everything is entirely unresponsive in the meantime.

I have also seen the macros get locked up sometimes and never terminate what they are doing (even if the action does not repeat) and the keyboard get locked up, especially with modifiers. I think in my case that is hardware level and might be dog hairs or whatever shorting things out

can you confirm if you have a steam controller dongle plugged in?

can you try the hardware on another system at some point? some folks have had luck disabling legacy support on usb in the bios? All usb 3 ports on your mobo? Sometimes front panels short out or can afford to be re seated internally on the connector end? just some ideas.

Thanks for the reply hastegag.

can you confirm if you have a steam controller dongle plugged in?

I do not have a steam controller dongle. However, when I was using an Xbox One controller with the Xbox one wireless adaptor back when I had the Cue software (for it became iCue) I had the same issue you did where things would lock up. But after my Xbox One Elite controller stopped working, I went to a PS4 controller as my motherboard has built in bluetooth on it. I usually pair it with the program 'Inputmapper'. I wondered if iCue could be clashing with inputmapper, but that was ruled out when my entire system froze when I wasn't even gaming and the controller wasn't even connected.

I think in my case that is hardware level and might be dog hairs or whatever shorting things out

I know my case has no dust or hair issues. I keep it super clean all the time and do frequent dust blow outs with an electronic duster/blower.

can you try the hardware on another system at some point? some folks have had luck disabling legacy support on usb in the bios? All usb 3 ports on your mobo? Sometimes front panels short out or can afford to be re seated internally on the connector end? just some ideas.

I am not sure if legacy support is enabled on my BIOS or not. I'll have to look into that. All the ports on my motherboard are USB 3.1, and I have tried moving the Corsair items to different ports. Gotten the freezing issue on all the ports I have tried. None of the ports I am using for any of the Corsair items are front panel. They are all back panel ports.

I have also ran my system for extended periods of time with iCue not running to see if anything happens then. I have failed to see a freeze when it's not running. I of course don't like doing this, as my key lights on the keyboard are not on and my room is some what dark, so I try not keeping iCue off much. All my freezes occur when Icue it is indeed running, and, as I stated in my original post, I have un-installed all iCue/Corsair files (including %appdata% files) as the phone tecjnitian told me to do, did a registry clean with CCleaner,, and installed the latest version of iCue right off the Corsair website. None of this has worked.

I sent my log files to my current opened ticket with Corsair. Hopefully I get some sort of answer from them from those.

• 9 months later...

i seem to be having similar issues. It will happen at anytime whether im at the desktop, in a game or just using Chrome. audio will cut out, mouse will cut out, keyboard will not respond and all the lights will also turn off. when the lights do come back the usual thing to happen is my headset and all audio outputs will not work and will not resume working until a full reboot.

I also will experience the volume roller on the keyboard (k95 platinum) to basically get stuck in one direction, meaning the volume will continuously go up or down and cant be changed until i unplug all usb connections.

it will happen at anytime, sometimes 3 times in an hour, sometimes it locks up everything and sometimes it just kinda hiccups. i dont know what is causing it because it never happens after i do a certain thing.

I have uninstalled everything with the name corsair from my computer, including inside the appdata folder, ended all tasks in task manager and then reboot the pc. only then did i reinstall the newest version of icue and then it would happen maybe 20 minutes later.

i can only assume a different program is clashing with icue, i have Asus Aura on my motherboard, phillips hue light controls, shadowplay, wallpaper engine usually running in the background. hopefully there is a shared program or device we have shared. i will try to make a list of everything i have currently inside and plugged into the pc but it is late currently.