Corsair Community

K95 Profile Switch Key doesn't work without iCUE

pmkelly

I recently purchased a K95 Platinum RGB keyboard. I defined three profiles and saved them to the three hardware profile slots. When I either (A) disable iCUE; or (B) move the keyboard to a computer that doesn't have iCUE installed, the profile change button at the upper-left of the keyboard does not do anything. Whichever profile is active when iCUE gets disabled juts stays in place. Pressing the profile button does nothing unless iCUE is running in the background. Is there any fix for this, or other things I should try? Thanks.

Note: I need this functionality because I use the keyboard on a work computer occasionally, and I am not allowed to install iCUE on that machine.

Thanks for video. Those are indeed the steps I took to create and save the Hardware Profiles to the keyboard.

I did, however, just find another nuance to all of this. If I physically disconnect the USB connectors from the KVM switch and then plug them back in, hardware profiles are once again accessible with the profile key. So there is something funny happening when the keyboard does not get 100% disconnected.

If the iCUE software is running, but is then closed down through the task manager (or shut down using taskkill), then the keyboard remains "stuck" and will not switch between profiles with the profile button. Similarly, if iCUE is running on Computer A but I switch to Computer B (without iCUE) with a KVM switch, the keyboard gets stuck and the profile button doesn't work in that situation either.

So this appears to be some kind of unfortunate bug, even though there is a (frustrating) workaround of completely unplugging and plugging back in.

I was able to successfully troubleshoot part of this issue.

I was using a script to kill iCUE (taskkill) and this apparently bypasses some sort of handshaking that is necessary to "unleash" the keyboard form the iCUE software. By using the tray icon to exit iCUE nicely, the keyboard successfully begins using hardware profiles and the profile-change key works fine.

So the only difficulty I continue to face isn't so much a bug as it is a system reality. When using a KVM switch to move between machines where one is running iCUE and the other is not, the change to regular hardware profiles on the keyboard is unpredictable.