Corsair Community

HXi or RMi questions?

o0Ampy0o

Is the HXi better than the RMi series? It has a few more cable options and is platinum cert. but it looks like the RMi series is slightly better in at least one area.

The HX850i and RM850i they are selling for the same price at Amazon and Newegg except $10 less.

Does anyone have a recommendation between the HXi and RMi?

Silence is prime.

I have ruled out the AXi mostly because I want the FDB fan.

I am running OS X.......Is there something vital I will not be able to control without Corsair Link?

This is a 2D design hackintosh system. (no gaming)

Thank you in advance

(it would be an 850)

_

Yes, I would certainly pick the HXi if I were you. This because a platinum PSU provides cleaner Power to the Components inside the computer (eg, smaller ripple in the voltage), and your PC will survive longer, since the Components on the motherboard do not need to keep up with tidying the Power from large amounts of ripple.

Ball bearing and fluid dynamic bearing is not a really large difference, the FDB do have a slightly longer lifetime, but still, if we compare the numbers:

A BB fan of decent quality do have a MTBF of about 70 000 hours =~ equvalient of having the PC on 24/7 for about 7 years. A double ball-bearing fan have Lifes near 150 000 hours which are 15 years.

A Fluid fan of a decent quality do have a MTBF of about 100 000-300 000 hours which is the equvalient of 10-30 years.

Not really much of a difference. But I really Think you should reconsider the AXi series since those are digital and can provide exceptionally Clean Power to the Components inside the computer.

Note that with the 0-RPM mode, by selecting a oversize PSU, the fan will not run, thus saving its Life. Depending on your usage pattern, it might still be good to enable the fan on low speed and let it run continually, since many start/stops will wear out the fan quicker than a coninuious run.

Yes, I would certainly pick the HXi if I were you. This because a platinum PSU provides cleaner Power to the Components inside the computer (eg, smaller ripple in the voltage), and your PC will survive longer, since the Components on the motherboard do not need to keep up with tidying the Power from large amounts of ripple.

Just as a note, the 80 PLUS certification level does not impact electrical performance (voltage regulation or noise/ripple) at all. It is only a standard for efficiency (you get 2% better efficiency with platinum over gold).

The RMi performs electrically better than the HXi series. Multiple reviews have shown this.

Another difference between the RMi and HXi that has not been covered elsewhere is the difference in DC cable construction. The HXi has all flat black ribbon cables. The RMi uses sleeved black cables for the ATX 24 pin, EPS, and PCIe cables while the SATA and 4 pin are the flat black ribbon cables like the HXi. This is really a personal preference, but the newer cables on the RMi are part of the performance increase on the newer parts.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your information and opinions.

??? > Will I be able to set up a Corsair PSU to run idle until the load justifies a need for the fan to kick in without Corsair Link? Is this the default? Is it triggered by a physical switch? I am building a system that will run OS X not Windows so I will not be using Corsair Link.

This is all new to me and I am bound to misperceive some of this.

Quiet operation is very important. There are products out there that score very well in reviews. At this point I'd pay more for something very good but extremely quiet. There appear to be many efficient products but you can score a 10 and still get too noisy for my taste when the engines have to power up. I have read of noise at the AXi level and in other PSU's of similar design using the same guts. The FDB seemed like it was a quieter design so I have been leaning towards the HXi and RMi and avoiding DBB designs.

It does not seem like the HXi is clearly superior to the RMi. As I said earlier, the HX850i and the RM850i are selling for the same price at Amazon and Newegg. The only difference is that Newegg is selling both for $10 less than Amazon. Price isn't really a factor.

Thank you again.

_

• Corsair Employee

??? > Will I be able to set up a Corsair PSU to run idle until the load justifies a need for the fan to kick in without Corsair Link? Is this the default? Is it triggered by a physical switch? I am building a system that will run OS X not Windows so I will not be using Corsair Link.

By default, the PSU is off until the load justifies active cooling. You would only need Link to set a default start point at 40% or higher.

Archived