Corsair Community

Vengeance Memory Issue

ElusiveNeutrino

I have a Sager NP8180 (Clevo P180HM) and I can't get my new memory to work with it.

Notebook user manual:

http://www2.sagernotebook.com/Sagernotebook/manual/Manual_NP8180.exe

My particular hardware:

Intel Core i7-2960XM;

Corsair Force GT 60 GB SSD + 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)

6X Blu-Ray Burner/Reader / 8X DVDRW Super Multi Combo Drive

Intel Ultimate-N 6300

Everything but the SSD was factory installed.

When I pull out the stock memory and place the two vengeance modules in, I can't power on. I don't get a BIOS splash or indicating lights. I can however hear fans whirring and optical drive will open when I depress it (won't open without power).

If I pull either of them out leaving only one vengeance module in, the notebook does POST and BIOS reports the correct amount of memory installed (4 GB at this point) but Windows won't boot.

Shortly after the Windows splash, I get a BSOD with an error about missing files. Interestingly, it's a different file missing each time I attempt to boot in this config.

I threw in a Windows disc and ran the memory tests and got a few errors but couldn't boot to view any details.

I get the same result independant of which module I use or where I stick it.

Corsair RMA'd me a new set and I still have the same issue. I'm out of ideas and need help figuring this out.

XoticPC (the retailer) told me to contact Sager concerning this, and they've been useless. The only thing they will tell me is:

"We know the computer works properly with Samsung 1333MHz/1600MHz memory installed."

• Corsair Employee
I would remove the battery and the memory that is installed then turn the system on using just the AC Adapter and then it should beep or blink for no memory detected. Then just unplug the AC Adapter, and then install just one of our modules and plug the power back in and turn it on and see if it will let you into the BIOS setup and load setup defaults. If so then turn it off and add the other module and do the same steps.

I would remove the battery and the memory that is installed then turn the system on using just the AC Adapter and then it should beep or blink for no memory detected. Then just unplug the AC Adapter, and then install just one of our modules and plug the power back in and turn it on and see if it will let you into the BIOS setup and load setup defaults. If so then turn it ff and add the other module and do the same steps.

I did something similar when I tried the 2nd set. While there was no memory installed I powered on. Instead of using AC power, I was running on battery, though. Do you suppose it matters which source I use?

I don't think I got to the BIOS menu or got any errors either. If I remember correctly, all the lights came on to include the disk activity indicator, except the screen was black.

• Corsair Employee
I would check with the reseller to see if they can swap them but these modules should work, I suspect there may be some other issue. or you can try and do an RMA with us directly but if there is some compatibility issue there is not a lot we can do.

Archived