Corsair Community

Intel D875PBZ question

misterheadache

I searched the forums for the answer to my question, but I don't think it has been asked yet: -Is the Intel D875PBZLK MoBo compatible with the TWINX 1024-3200C2PT memory set "out-of-the-box"? I don't intend to overclock or change any system settings, I just want to be able to plug in the RAM and go. Thanks!:D

It should plug-n-play, I used a pair of 512mb PC3200C2 stix in my P4C800 MOBO before I got the PC4000 RAM. It was solid and fast. The PC3200LL is better but the PC3200C2 should be adequate. That MOBO will run the PC3200LL at the tight timings and give you somewhat better performance without OCing the CPU so it may be worth the price difference now as opposed to wishing you had later. Either way, solid setup. Mike.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by specmike [/i] [B] . . . That MOBO will run the PC3200LL at the tight timings and give you somewhat better performance without OCing the CPU so it may be worth the price difference now as opposed to wishing you had later. [/B][/QUOTE] Hello Mike; I had done some searching on the D875PBZ and Corsair memory before I ordered my board last month. From the posts it seemed that the TWINX -3200LL was a good choice. I must say the combination is stable at the default settings. However your mention of tight timings has me intrigued. Can you explain what setting I should adjust my bios for to achieve these improved timings? I have the latest BZ87510A.86A.0047.P12 bios update. Thank you

If your manual RAM timings are listed in the same order on the Intel as on other boards, the fall in the order of 2,3,2,6. They start with the CAS Delay. I'm no expert on the timings but I have learned that smaller numbers=less latency=better performance. Find in your manual how to set the RAM timings manually and set them to 2,3,2,6 and see if your board will run them that "tight". If you find instability, try 2,3,3,6. Also, there is a tutorial on the Corsair home page about what these timings do and what each term means. Good luck, Mike.

I found this recipe on another thread: "Chipset Configuration" settings: Extended Configuration [User Defined] SDRAM Frequency [400 MHz] SDRAM Timing Control [Manual - User Defined] CPC Override [Auto] SDRAM RAS Act. to Pre. [5] SDRAM CAS# Latency [2.0] SDRAM RAS# to CAS# delay [3] SDRAM RAS# Precharge [2] I ran 1 hour of memtest86 3.0 without any errors. Then I booted up to WinXP, and I'm running stable for the second day. This was with Twinx512-3200LL

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by fnbrowning [/i] [B]I found this recipe on another thread: "Chipset Configuration" settings: Extended Configuration [User Defined] SDRAM Frequency [400 MHz] SDRAM Timing Control [Manual - User Defined] CPC Override [Auto] SDRAM RAS Act. to Pre. [5] SDRAM CAS# Latency [2.0] SDRAM RAS# to CAS# delay [3] SDRAM RAS# Precharge [2] I ran 1 hour of memtest86 3.0 without any errors. Then I booted up to WinXP, and I'm running stable for the second day. This was with Twinx512-3200LL [/B][/QUOTE] Excellent! I figured you could do those timings 2,3,2,5 but I suggested something a bit conservative just to get you started and stable. Glad your setup is working. Happy Computing, Mike.

Well . . . Success for me!!! I bought the Intel D875PBZ mobo, the boxed 3.0G 800MHz FSB proc, and the 1GB TWINX 1024-3200C2PT memory kit and it all works great! I did not have to tweak anything in the BIOS to get this combo to run, it ran fine “out-of-the-box”. Although, I did initially put the RAM in wrong, hehehe… I had put the two sticks in the same channel, which the BIOS caught right away and warned me that the memory would only run in single channel mode. Once I read the damn manual I discovered my mistake and put one stick in each channel all was well. Initial SiSoft Sandra memory bandwidth benchmarks were 4,717MB/s Integer, 4,692MB/s Float, all Sandra “defaults” on including buffering. Rest of the system is Antec Sonata case w/added 120mm front fan 2 WD 36G 10,000 RPM Raptor drives in RAID 0 config ATI Radeon AIW 9700 Pro Audigy 2 So, all is well except for the CPU fan noise – it’s running at 5000RPM even at system idle, CPU temps around 37C (see other thread). Got to solve this issue for complete happiness

Could you post the revision # of your Intel MOBO. I know a few fellows that would be interested to see if they could RMA for a bug free board. And, what bios version are you running? As to your noise, I'd take a look at the Zalman 7000ALcu. It cools as well as, if not better in some tests, than the 100% copper unit, weighs much less, installs without removing the MOBO, and has a speed control for the fan. Nice rig and thanx for your time, Mike.

Archived