Corsair Community

H150i PRO — Backplate nowhere close to flush

Cruzatte

I’ve read a bunch of folks talking about loose backplates on other Corsair AIO models, but I haven’t seen any issues on the H150i Pro.

I’m installing on an Asus Maximus X Code, and there are at least a couple millimeters of play. This is... disappointing!

Anyone seen this on a H150i? And what’s the actual correct advice — washer, or install pump and see what happens?

Just mechanically speaking, I don’t see how installing the pump on these standoff’s in their current state will firm anything up, since the install will still be dependent on the loose backplate frame.

Thanks for any of your input!

Well, make sure you have everything turned the right direction, 115x standoffs, and then screw it down. It won't be tight until then. I have the same board and the same bracket and did not have issues with the install. I was expecting trouble too, having been spoiled by 2011 socket for a while. Also, remember the backplate is not a vice. It is a way to distribute weight over a larger surface area. Focus on the getting the thumbscrews cleaning inserted and then tightened. Don't over do it. This can be a bit frustrating because it's not that easy to tell a slightly loose backplate from the normal temp behavior on a 8700K with the MCE enabled and other Asus default features.

Have you tightened the thumbscrews down yet? Remember, you are not bolting it to the motherboard. It is more like hanging a picture. When you tighten the thumbscrews down, the play should disappear. You probably want a hand on both sides the first time around. It still will not survive brute force attacks. I don't know why Intel doesn't specify all sockets are more secure like 2011/3 ($$$), but this is pretty much how it is.

• 9 months later...

I'm having the same exact issue after just mounting my backplate down and screw in the thumb screws until completely tightened. I may be using the same board and maybe too thin?

Please let me know what u did as now I'm stuck middle of build.

What I can do and use 2 black washers in kit not used and put them above board to compress the screw into. The plate will tighten to board then. I have yet to put the pump on to see if contact will be made to CPU but still looks like it will.

I'm using 399 msi godlike mb and 9900k

I'm having the same exact issue after just mounting my backplate down and screw in the thumb screws until completely tightened. I may be using the same board and maybe too thin?

Please let me know what u did as now I'm stuck middle of build.

What I can do and use 2 black washers in kit not used and put them above board to compress the screw into. The plate will tighten to board then. I have yet to put the pump on to see if contact will be made to CPU but still looks like it will.

I'm using 399 msi godlike mb and 9900k

The back plate is supposed to be loose by design. It should tighten up when you install the pump.

Yup it did... after bunch of Google reading (and seeing this has been in existence for years) either people mounted the thumbscrews to tighten or used rubber washers from HD vibration mounts. I think corsair just adding that to the manual would've quickly let us know.

Thank you

• 3 months later...

Its missing that rubber thing preinstalled for Intel cooler, if you read the manual it should be the original bracket from Intel stock cooler i think.. check the manual..

we are missing a bracket that dont come with asus motherboard.. or at least for me its like that.. cant see how it would tighten the cooler if the backbracket plays 2 or 3 mm