Corsair Community

HXi Series Available @ Newegg

SpDFrek

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed the 850 in my son's PC. Died almost immediately. Fan test is functional but that's it. So, the fan test is meaningless, regardless of what the packaging says. Replaced the old PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 he's had for some time and he's back to his gaming.

Requesting a replacement from Newegg as it's quite possible it's just one of those rare defective units that slips through QC and not the norm for this product. So the first review could be up in the next day or two, depending on the response about whether or not I'll receive a replacement. Although a DOA isn't really a review.

• Corsair Employee
Fan test is functional but that's it. So, the fan test is meaningless, regardless of what the packaging says.

No. The fan test is to test the fan. Not the PSU. AXi series has a "self test" that can tell you if the PSU is functioning properly, but the HXi's fan test is only for testing the fan.

Requesting a replacement from Newegg as it's quite possible it's just one of those rare defective units that slips through QC and not the norm for this product. So the first review could be up in the next day or two, depending on the response about whether or not I'll receive a replacement. Although a DOA isn't really a review.

Considering all PSUs are burned in before shipping, it's more likely something happened in transit than that it left the factory DOA. How was it packaged? I've received some pretty stupid packaging in the past. Not necessarily from Newegg, but from Amazon, I'll get a PSU box inside a box that's four times larger and the PSU is flopping around inside all the way from who-the-heck-knows-what warehouse.

Newegg's service is usually pretty good. They should have it swapped for you quickly. If not, doesn't hurt to put a trouble ticket in with Corsair support.

• 2 weeks later...
No. The fan test is to test the fan. Not the PSU. AXi series has a "self test" that can tell you if the PSU is functioning properly, but the HXi's fan test is only for testing the fan.

Considering all PSUs are burned in before shipping, it's more likely something happened in transit than that it left the factory DOA. How was it packaged? I've received some pretty stupid packaging in the past. Not necessarily from Newegg, but from Amazon, I'll get a PSU box inside a box that's four times larger and the PSU is flopping around inside all the way from who-the-heck-knows-what warehouse.

Newegg's service is usually pretty good. They should have it swapped for you quickly. If not, doesn't hurt to put a trouble ticket in with Corsair support.

I submitted a ticket with Corsair today as Newegg informed me they have no more units available.

It was packaged in a retail box, which was inside a shipping box, wrapped with those plastic airbags...shipping was fine, no damage to anything. I can't recall ever receiving a package from Newegg that has shown any signs of abuse or accidental damage. Which is one of the reasons I use them almost exclusively for electronics and computer equipment. (for over 8 years!).

I re-read the documentation and yes, you're right, it does state "The fan can be validated prior to system installation via a self test switch, which confirms the fan is functional at any time." But later in the manual the third step of 'using the fan self test feature' on page 8 states "The fan spins for a moment, you're good to go!" And since that whole process comes before the 'Installing [your PSU]', it's a little misleading, because you're not necessarily 'good to go'. Well, maybe that's being a little too literal.. I'll agree it's a fan only test.

I hope Corsair sends a new unit, not only because of the obvious, but I've NEVER purchased a DOA piece of hardware in my 25+ years of building PCs. No exaggeration...I've never received a DOA item (or DOA within minutes of installation). I'd like to give Corsair the opportunity to show DOAs are rare with their products.

• Corsair Employee
I submitted a ticket with Corsair today as Newegg informed me they have no more units available.

It was packaged in a retail box, which was inside a shipping box, wrapped with those plastic airbags...shipping was fine, no damage to anything. I can't recall ever receiving a package from Newegg that has shown any signs of abuse or accidental damage. Which is one of the reasons I use them almost exclusively for electronics and computer equipment. (for over 8 years!).

It's not Newegg I'm worried about. It's UPS, FedEx and the USPS. You don't have to have or see physical damage for the unit to be damaged. It's called shock. If the retail box is slamming around inside the shipping box, the PSU can still get damaged from that shock.

I hope Corsair sends a new unit, not only because of the obvious, but I've NEVER purchased a DOA piece of hardware in my 25+ years of building PCs. No exaggeration...I've never received a DOA item (or DOA within minutes of installation). I'd like to give Corsair the opportunity to show DOAs are rare with their products.

That's damn lucky. I've had about every part from motherboard to CPU to graphics card, etc. in all my years.

very lucky

I have been messing with PC's for over 20 years and I normally get at least 2 items DOA every year

Archived