The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 01:31 AM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 882036
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

i sure miss the days of having to tinker with my software,fans and lighting to keep them working
good old dayz

Old 12-10-2016, 04:21 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 882042
red-ray Reputation: 81
Thumbs up LED controller is a PIC16F1508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles13 View Post
Also, on a semi-related note, how do you set the IMCBus to 100kHz? I can access the "Edit->View IMCBus" menu but hitting the 100kHz button doesn't seem to do anything.
Thank you for the photos. When you press [100KHz] then the displayed clock should change from 356KHz to 100KHz as below, does it? Please attach before and after [SMB Bus] .PNG screen shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoGGi View Post
Well at least you had one good picture of the controller :)
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/PIC16F1508
Thank you for the link. Looking at http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e.../40001609E.pdf then the controller is capable of 400KHz, but only if the firmware sets it up to operate in fast mode. I suspect it fails to do this and Corsair need to fix the firmware.

After a looking at the datasheet the chip is a general controller so I expect the LED control registers are defined by the firmware. Given this then we really need Corsair to provide the firmware interface specification. I guess I will have to try and reverse engineer it.

I just noticed the PIC16F1508 has an Integrated Temperature Indicator Module so I wonder if there is a way to read this temperature. Does CL4 display the DIMM temperature? I was expecting the DIMMs to use the JEDEC standard, but this does not seem to be the situation.

Quote:

Last edited by red-ray; 12-10-2016 at 04:51 AM.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:38 AM

POST ID # = 882049
Waffles13 Reputation: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
Thank you for the photos. When you press [100KHz] then the displayed clock should change from 356KHz to 100KHz as below, does it? Please attach before and after [SMB Bus] .PNG screen shots.

The before and after for SMB Bus were 100% identical.
Attached Images
File Type: png SIV64X_2016-12-10_03-32-55.png (48.6 KB, 737 views)
File Type: png SIV64X_2016-12-10_03-33-36.png (12.3 KB, 709 views)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:16 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 882051
Arrow Press the [100KHz] button

Quote:

The before and after for SMB Bus were 100% identical.
Thank you, but you need to press the [100KHz] button to change the IMC SMBus clock speed to 100KHz and then post a new [SMB Bus] panel.

Please also post the [SPD] (Menu->Hardware->SPD Summary) panel.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:24 PM

POST ID # = 882102

Quote:
Thank you, but you need to press the [100KHz] button to change the IMC SMBus clock speed to 100KHz and then post a new [SMB Bus] panel.

Please also post the [SPD] (Menu->Hardware->SPD Summary) panel.
I had already tried hitting the 100KHz button a dozen different times across reboots and every time it had done nothing, except now for some reason it actually changed the clock. Not a clue what changed.

EDIT: And now after rebooting it's locked to 357KHz again and nothing changes it.
Attached Images
File Type: png SIV64X_2016-12-10_14-22-33.png (47.2 KB, 722 views)
File Type: png SIV64X_2016-12-10_14-23-10.png (36.8 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by Waffles13; 12-10-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 882108
Confused Neither have I

Quote:

Not a clue what changed.
Neither have I but now your DIMM LEDs are half showing/working. Comparing what you are seeing your DIMMs still seem to have issues even at 100KHz. What happens if you set 48KHz?

I also noted that the X99 SMBus has locked up. This is typically caused by another program accessing the X99 SMBus at the same time as SIV. CL4 should be OK as it uses the CPUID SDK, but ASUS AI Suite could cause this. Do you have AI Suite or any other program that access the X99 SMBus active?

The more data I see the more I feel the LED DIMM firmware is rather poor and does not work at all well. I wonder if Corsair will ever get their act together and address this.

Last edited by red-ray; 12-10-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:12 PM

POST ID # = 882133

Quote:
I also noted that the X99 SMBus has locked up. This is typically caused by another program accessing the X99 SMBus at the same time as SIV. CL4 should be OK as it uses the CPUID SDK, but ASUS AI Suite could cause this. Do you have AI Suite or any other program that access the X99 SMBus active?
I just reformatted yesterday, and in testing this I went through and killed any process from software I've installed. I cannot for the life of me get the SMBus to change to anything other than 357KHz, other than that one time it randomly worked and even then I didn't do anything special. I should note that it also did this on my previous install, so I assume it's something to do with my motherboard.

Is there any way to check what processes are accessing the SMBus?

Old 12-11-2016, 04:44 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 882149
Wink Not easily

Quote:
Is there any way to check what processes are accessing the SMBus?
No easily and it's also OK provided they use the Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method named mutex to interlock access. Programs such as AIDA64 + CPUZ + HWiNFO + SpeedFan + SIV (obviously) do this so are OK, but AI Suite does not. SIV lists known programs on the Menu->Help->SMBus Locks panel which also lists the state of the INUSE Wait hardware lock. This should be [Y]INUSE Wait 0 of 811 ms and if it's not then something is strange.

To access the SMBus the program needs to use a device driver so it worth checking the Menu->Windows->Services->Driver Control panel to see if a driver get's loaded. I also posted http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037 about locking.

Last edited by red-ray; 12-11-2016 at 09:02 AM.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:58 AM

POST ID # = 882249

Quote:
SIV lists known programs on the Menu->Help->SMBus Locks panel which also lists the state of the INUSE Wait hardware lock. This should be [Y]INUSE Wait 0 of 811 ms and if it's not then something is strange.
I assume this is bad then?

Quote:
To access the SMBus the program needs to use a device driver so it worth checking the Menu->Windows->Services->Driver Control panel to see if a driver get's loaded.
What specifically am I looking for on this screen?

In terms of other software locking the SMBus, is that something that only occurs when the bad software is running or can it happen as long as it's installed/been run? I don't have AI Suite installed, however I do have Nvidia Inspector which doesn't show Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method when run. However, SIV is still having the same issues whether Nvidia Inspector is running or not, and even after a reboot where no unnecessary software is set to start automatically, SIV still has problems. I guess I should have taken more note of what state the PC was in when it worked that one time.

Also, is lack of Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method ONLY an issue in specific monitoring problems, or could it affect other software? I have things like f.lux and Borderless Gaming installed, but I don't know enough about the SMBus to know if there's any reason they would need to access it.
Attached Images
File Type: png 35ecf2592d.png (50.2 KB, 729 views)

Old 12-12-2016, 04:49 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 882263
Arrow Only programs that interact with the SMBus need to use Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method

Quote:
I assume this is bad then?
No, 0 of 812 ms is fine for your system and bad would be 812 of 812 ms. The 811 vs. 812 is down to slight differences in clock speeds on different systems and on my system here it's 811 ms. It's possible to get values that are > 0 and < 812, but this is rare and I have only ever seen this on systems with an SMBus connected mouse. As long as the first value is much less than the second all is OK.

Usually the problem software has to be active, but with AI Suite AFAIK there are ASUS provided device drivers that can cause the issue even when AI Suite is inactive.

Only programs that interact with the SMBus need to use Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method but there is no easy way to tell if they do. Typically programs that do display information about the DIMMs and/or motherboard temperature/fan speed/voltage information.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 886018
Thumbs up Windows 10 RS2 V10.00 Build 15001

The SIV 5.14 release controlled my CL hardware with no issues, but for full ACPI reporting SIV 5.15 Beta-08 or later is needed.

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: png siv_reg.png (124.9 KB, 652 views)

Old 01-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 887108
Thumbs up SIV Guide - 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicSqualo View Post
Reason: Updated PDF to version 1.16.
Thank you for doing the updates.

I am still trying to find the CL4 Guide, does anyone know where it is please?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:29 AM
deNaarling's PC Specs

POST ID # = 887306
deNaarling Reputation: 17

Hi Ray, first of all I would like to thank you for this awesome piece of software which I now use to control my Commander Mini. Took me a while to get a feel for the program, but the guide helped me well enough.

Now I was wondering.. Is it somehow possible to create a fan curve based on the difference between 2 temperature sensors? Was hoping I could do this with the 'Syntetic Sensors'. But so far as I understand them now you can only use those to group sensors and use the highest temp, no?

Old 01-18-2017, 11:14 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 887312
Arrow Only if I change the code

Quote:
Originally Posted by deNaarling View Post
Now I was wondering.. Is it somehow possible to create a fan curve based on the difference between 2 temperature sensors? Was hoping I could do this with the 'Syntetic Sensors'. But so far as I understand them now you can only use those to group sensors and use the highest temp, no?
Yes, it's just the highest temperature that can be used.

It would be possible for me to make what you are asking for possible, but I can't see why you would wish to do this. Maybe you can explain what you wish to achieve.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:51 PM
deNaarling's PC Specs

POST ID # = 887325
deNaarling Reputation: 17

Okay.., so at least I'm not overlooking something. :)

Quote:
...Maybe you can explain what you wish to achieve.
Why I would like a function like that is because I would like to base the fanspeed of my liquid cooling loop on the difference between the ambient and coolant temperature. (Pump speed as well if I had one with variable speeds)
Right now I have the fans set quiet when the coolant is 24c (5c above ambient / pc idle) and full speed at 32c (13c above ambient / pc full load).
The ambient at this moment is 19c, so the set fancurves work fine. But during summer ambient can rise over 30c. Meaning the fan curve should be adjusted.
To prevent having to adjust the fancurves with (extreme) changing ambient temperatures, a fancurve based on the delta T coolant/ambient would be more convenient to keep the fans as quiet as possible while the pc is idle.

I can imagine this function would also be usefull for aircooling. Using a delta temperature to keep the fans spinning as quiet as possible if you're willing to let your components run hotter during summer.

Now I understand that SIV was not intended as fan controller. So if you feel this function is 'over-the-top' or unnecessary I can understand that. Like I said. I'm already happy with how it is now. :)

Closed Thread