Corsair Community

iCue not reporting all my case fans

acsrand

icue v1.0.4 not reporting all my case fans i.e. not reporting fans connected to my MOBO (only reporting 2 of the four case fans)

PS-Corsair Tech told me not to upgrade my icue from v 1.0.4 so that is the reason I am using an older version of icue

"1.0.4"? You can't possibly means CUE 1 since that was 5-6 years ago and would likely not work with any Z390 motherboard. Are you looking at a firmware version for something? Regardless, none of your device firmware versions will have anything to do with the CUE program's ability to understand your motherboard data. It does or it does not and that may change from boot to boot.

I am not sure there is anything we can do for you on the User end. If you want to report it at as a bug, you will need to detailed. Exact motherboard, BIOS version, exact iCUE version, and precisely which motherboard headers are not reported.

"1.0.4"? You can't possibly means CUE 1 since that was 5-6 years ago and would likely not work with any Z390 motherboard. Are you looking at a firmware version for something? Regardless, none of your device firmware versions will have anything to do with the CUE program's ability to understand your motherboard data. It does or it does not and that may change from boot to boot.

I am not sure there is anything we can do for you on the User end. If you want to report it at as a bug, you will need to detailed. Exact motherboard, BIOS version, exact iCUE version, and precisely which motherboard headers are not reported.

C-attack, then what is this if not the version number (see attached)?

Why does the iCues program ability to understand my MOBO change from boot to boot?

486454169_ICueFWver12jan2020.PNG.d764142acde9d2d3cfe57ef1e846a739.PNG

The 1.04 is the firmware version for your H150i cooler. It is not related to your motherboard fans. If you go to the Settings -> General it will list the iCUE version or you can look in the Windows -> Settings -> Apps list.

The information that comes from your motherboard is presented in the manner determined by the motherboard manufacturer. Typically they don’t have an interest in making it easy to read for 3rd parties. However, fan speeds are generally not so tricky. You will need to describe which headers they are connected to and show us what your iCUE dashboard looks like.

The 1.04 is the firmware version for your H150i cooler. It is not related to your motherboard fans. If you go to the Settings -> General it will list the iCUE version or you can look in the Windows -> Settings -> Apps list.

The information that comes from your motherboard is presented in the manner determined by the motherboard manufacturer. Typically they don’t have an interest in making it easy to read for 3rd parties. However, fan speeds are generally not so tricky. You will need to describe which headers they are connected to and show us what your iCUE dashboard looks like.

C-attack: iCue v3.18.77

see attached fan / MOBO definition and iCue dashboard

1833033057_iCueDashboard12jan2020.thumb.PNG.89e5409c6f8bbe155d7744c7dcd87da2.PNG

1120745779_GORT1FanConnectionsiCue12jna2020.PNG.7f911d9f0709c93742977168e5b0ba6e.PNG

Before we get too far into this, I would go ahead and update to iCUE 3.24. There were some issues on 3.19 and 3.22, but you are now 6 months out of data so it would be silly to waste hours of your time trying to solve this if the problem as been corrected already.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/downloads

It really should detect all your fans on standard motherboard headers and the fans are not common complaints. Temp data is something else, but then AIDA and HWiNFO also tell me I have some 13C and 14C sensors on my board in a 30C room, so I think that one is one Asus. Now where you can get into trouble is running HWiNFO, AIDA, HWMon, etc. at the same time as iCUE. They may cause data to go missing.

Right click the three horizontal lines in the corner of the motherboard box. Select the trash can to delete it. Go back up to the Dashboard drop down menu, System Info >, add the motherboard back in. Did the fans show up this time?

Is there anything about the physical fans that might affect the reading? Splitters, powered fan hub, etc.?

Before we get too far into this, I would go ahead and update to iCUE 3.24. There were some issues on 3.19 and 3.22, but you are now 6 months out of data so it would be silly to waste hours of your time trying to solve this if the problem as been corrected already.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/downloads

It really should detect all your fans on standard motherboard headers and the fans are not common complaints. Temp data is something else, but then AIDA and HWiNFO also tell me I have some 13C and 14C sensors on my board in a 30C room, so I think that one is one Asus. Now where you can get into trouble is running HWiNFO, AIDA, HWMon, etc. at the same time as iCUE. They may cause data to go missing.

Right click the three horizontal lines in the corner of the motherboard box. Select the trash can to delete it. Go back up to the Dashboard drop down menu, System Info >, add the motherboard back in. Did the fans show up this time?

Is there anything about the physical fans that might affect the reading? Splitters, powered fan hub, etc.?

C-attack, ok updated the iCue to V3.24.52 (see attached) and deleted / added back in the MOBO iCue monitoring.

There is nothing special about the Fan connections, as shown in the prev. attached, ALL fans connect separately to a header on the MOBO i.e. not driving any of the fans via a split cbl or hub etc. (and I can see them in my BIOS setup).

Also, I am about to add to additional thermistors to my system and connect to my MOBO. So any info. on how to get iCue to display the measurements from these added thermistors would be helpful.

542587304_iCueDashBrdv3_24.5213jan20.thumb.PNG.833d84fde756e522277882eb9387fdb8.PNG

578491358_ICueFWv3_24.5213jan2020.PNG.5a23a8fd7fc88acc4e498bf820e00d79.PNG

C-attack, ok updated the iCue to V3.24.52 (see attached) and deleted / added back in the MOBO iCue monitoring.

There is nothing special about the Fan connections, as shown in the prev. attached, ALL fans connect separately to a header on the MOBO i.e. not driving any of the fans via a split cbl or hub etc. (and I can see them in my BIOS setup).

Also, I am about to add to additional thermistors to my system and connect to my MOBO. So any info. on how to get iCue to display the measurements from these added thermistors would be helpful.

c-attack, one more item, my GeForce RTX 2080 has 3 fans, iCue only displays info. about 2 of the 3 fans.

I don’t recall anyone else having problems with selective fan detection. Devices or distinguishing between temp readings is something else. I can report it as a bug, but will need your current BIOS version. Lots of GA boards out there and they should all behave similarly. This is why I was asking GA Fusion, AIDA, etc that might be trying to get the data at the same time.

The temp probes should show up automatically in the motherboard section. What is annoying is temp 1 may not always load as “temp 1”. It might be temp 2 tomorrow. You will want to figure out which is which and give them a name to make tracking easier.

I believe we ascertained at an earlier point all the 2080 triple fan models will show as two fans in iCUE. Since the program is capable of showing endless numbers of fans, the theory is the three fan models still have two fan headers like the Nvidia reference design and piggy back the 3rd on a splitter. You probably can check this by comparing the number of fans MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision reports. If they also report 2, there are probably only two headers. Those fans should always be running the same anyway. No need for independent gpu fan control/monitoring.

I don’t recall anyone else having problems with selective fan detection. Devices or distinguishing between temp readings is something else. I can report it as a bug, but will need your current BIOS version. Lots of GA boards out there and they should all behave similarly. This is why I was asking GA Fusion, AIDA, etc that might be trying to get the data at the same time.

The temp probes should show up automatically in the motherboard section. What is annoying is temp 1 may not always load as “temp 1”. It might be temp 2 tomorrow. You will want to figure out which is which and give them a name to make tracking easier.

I believe we ascertained at an earlier point all the 2080 triple fan models will show as two fans in iCUE. Since the program is capable of showing endless numbers of fans, the theory is the three fan models still have two fan headers like the Nvidia reference design and piggy back the 3rd on a splitter. You probably can check this by comparing the number of fans MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision reports. If they also report 2, there are probably only two headers. Those fans should always be running the same anyway. No need for independent gpu fan control/monitoring.

c-attack Thanks for the info.,

BIOS is vF10. How will I find out the outcome of the Bug Report investigation?

it will be a few weeks before I try the additional temp. sensors. Good memory regarding the GeForce graphics card, I had forgotten the details.

• 2 weeks later...
c-attack, you never responded to "how will I find out the outcome of the Bug Report investigation" Please reply.

You won't and neither would I unless there is a universal issue that then requires a fix. At this point, you are the only person reporting this "selective" fan detection. A BIOS level problem would affect all the fans equally, either none show or all show. There are a lot of Gigabyte Z390 boards out there. It is most likely you are looking for a local problem, either with a install or a hardware issue with the fans themselves. The upgrade to 3.24 should have taken care of any install corruption. Deleting and re-adding the fans to the dashboard should have addressed a UI glitch. So that leaves the fans themselves.

Can you list what fans you are using and identify which 2 are on the "missing" headers?

C-attack, if you look at the information I provided on the 12th Jan at 5:35PM, the attached file shows all fans in my system and the header they are connected to. I will explain once again (see attachment from 12 Jan): excluding the Graphics card and the H150i radiator fans, the system has 1 Rear Fan exhaust fan [header Sys_Fan1/2/3/4], 1 Bottom inlet fan [header Sys_Fan1/2/3/4], 2 Front intake fans [header Sys_Fan5/6_Pump]. iCue dashboard only shows 3 fans for the MOBO, there should be 4. The iCue does not provide any information about which fan it is reporting for the MOBO, therefore I cannot tell you which 3 of the 4 fans the iCue is reporting.

C-attack, if you look at the information I provided on the 12th Jan at 5:35PM, the attached file shows all fans in my system and the header they are connected to. I will explain once again (see attachment from 12 Jan): excluding the Graphics card and the H150i radiator fans, the system has 1 Rear Fan exhaust fan [header Sys_Fan1/2/3/4], 1 Bottom inlet fan [header Sys_Fan1/2/3/4], 2 Front intake fans [header Sys_Fan5/6_Pump]. iCue dashboard only shows 3 fans for the MOBO, there should be 4. The iCue does not provide any information about which fan it is reporting for the MOBO, therefore I cannot tell you which 3 of the 4 fans the iCue is reporting.

That does not answer the question above regarding the make and model of your fans. Are they all the same? If not, which one is not reporting. You may have to do some basic troubleshooting steps like unplugging or changing the speed of various headers to learn which header corresponds to which Fan # in iCUE. No one here can do that for you. The specific header not being reported seems fairly relevant. I can guess, but that's not really the point and if it turns out you only have three reported fans because two of your fans are sharing a dual-control (mirror) motherboard fan header, this will all have been all for naught. You may want to find out if SYS Fan 5/6 are really independent control.

Edited by c-attack

if you look at the information I provided on the 12th Jan at 5:35PM, the attached file shows all fans in my system and the header they are connected to...

I don't know of any specific issues with those fans and if they are reporting on one header, there is no reason to suspect a fan wiring design is preventing it on another. However, your referenced attachment above lists two fans (front top and front bottom) as both on the SYS_FAN 5/Pump 6 slot. According to your motherboard manual, this is 1 fan header with a dual mode function. It can be set in "pump mode" where it is locked at 100% (like for an AIO pump) or put back into regular fan mode (SYS FAN 5). What is not clear to me is if there is indeed a splitter for the front two fans or is the manual is misleading and there are actually two fan headers there, but they really share the same fan control circuit and thus report as 1 fan -- effectively an internal splitter. I am afraid that is a very motherboard specific question and probably only answerable by someone with a GA Z370/390 board.

There also is the question of if the missing fan speed is one of the front two fans and you intend to run them both at the same speed, how much value does reporting the identical shared speed provide.

c-attack, well I did as you suggested. I unplugged the 2 front fans and no changes noted on iCue Dashboard! I then unplugged SYS_FAN2 (Bottom Fan) and iCue showed that the #2 fan speed as 0. It is extremely difficult to get to the rear fan plug, it took nearly 30 minutes the 1st time I installed it and I had to use a set of forceps to install it. So I am not going to go through that pain just to try and figure out what iCue is doing. Some thing is very screwed up with the iCue reporting. Since iCue is only reporting 3 MOBO fans, and I know know it is not reporting the front fans, something is screwed up since it is reporting a MOBO fan that must either be associated with the iCue radiator or the GeForce graphics card, or who knows what. And before you ask, the 3 MOBO fans iCue is reporting are all running a different speeds (according to iCue) so there is know way the iCue is reading one fan and showing it as a second fan. There has got to be someone at Corsair who understand the iCue and can provide me with some info. to resolve my issue. Are you a paid rep. of Corsair? Edited by acsrand

c-attack, to refresh: my sys has 4 system fans (excluding the Graphics card fans and H150 CPU cooler fans). iCue is reporting for the MOBO 3 fans (1, 2 and 3).

iCue Fan 1 = my Rear Fan SysFan1

iCue Fan 2 = my bot. Fan SysFan2

iCur Fan 3 = some phantom fan! My two front fans (MOBO SysFan#5 FrontTop and MOBO SysFan#6 FrontBot are not reported!)

Here is the link for Corsair Tech Support. https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us It also can be accessed through the Support Ticket System link in the header above. I was under the impression you already had spoken with them. This is the User Forums. We are users helping other users.

Before you embark on a long conversation with Tech Support regarding the possibility that iCUE is bugged specifically for your motherboard and not other GA users, I think it would worth your time to resolve the mystery as to how your front fans are connected. You said no splitters, but they are listed as sharing the SYS 5/Pump 6 header. That is one of those odd headers that does not behave like a standard chassis fan header. You have 2 other SYS fan headers that are not in use. Do those report? Would it be easier to move the connectors to one of them than the amount of time invested thus far? Also, it is likely easier to set the fan to specific fixed speed in the BIOS versus unplugging, but that is your choice. I am curious about your control over the front two fans in general. Another way to test this is to fully quit iCUE from the task manager (program and services), then run HWiNFO, HWMon, or another monitoring utility to see if it picks up the reading from Sys5/P6.

To my knowledge, no other users on Gigabyte boards or any other have reported missing motherboard fans in any recent version of iCUE. Good luck.

Edited by c-attack