Corsair Community

GTX H100i pump fail?

djnapoleon

Hello everyone,

Early october this year my H100i decided to randomly start or not to start pumping on system boot.

The first time when it happened, i saw CPU temp on fresh boot hit 90 degrees in my temperature program running on system tray, i immediately shut down the system using PSU power switch.

I sat down thinking WTH just happened, tried to boot the system again but BIOS gave me CPU overheat error then it shut down.

Well, after half an hour i gave it another try but this time it was back to normal. This didn't happen in the following days but since then it has happened a few times over a month.

So basically if it doesn't start pumping, usually by few system startup tries it's back to normal again for a few days and by that i mean normal normal, the pump never stops with steady RPM when the system is on and I go for long 10+ hours on each session on my computer.

When this happens i always hear a static noise from the pump and that noise increases overtime, i'm assuming it increases with tempeture.

So in conclusion, should we say the pump is dying? time to move on, and let it rest in peace?

I bought this back in 2015 and it served me a good amount of time i think.

It may still be under warranty (5 years) if you are the original owner and have a copy of the purchase invoice. However, you would still be responsible for shipping it to Corsair, so factor that into any cost analysis. At that age, I would probably lean toward replacing it with a newer model.

Random starting or not staring could be electrical contact issues on the pump motor, a bad power wire, or something else difficult to trace or diagnose, let alone repair. However, do make sure you haven't inadvertently cut power to the unit on a BIOS flash or through fan controls. The H100i GTX/v2 still gets its power from the motherboard header and at the standard default 60% DC, that is right about the starting voltage for the unit. It is possible that is your roll of dice luck on each attempt. Make sure CPU Fan control or whatever header is powering the cooler is disabled or set to 100% in some way.