Corsair Community

Is a Corsair One pro Plus supposed to be *THAT* noisy ?!?

miklolivier

Hi,

I've posted my problem in another thread, but as it is closed for a few months now, i was afraid my case would not be seen, and i decided to make my own thread.

I've just bought (from french Amazon) a Corsair One Pro Plus, the one with i8700K, 1080Ti, 16Go RAM. Everything was good, until i tried to do what this computer is made for : gaming. As soon as i launch any game, the C1 gets very noisy, just like a plane taking off, and it goes to a point it's almost impossible to play without a headphone (not even to mention the nice discussion with my girlfriend about the new expensive computer preventing to listen to TV...). I've recorded you a video for you to see how the C1 acts : [ame=

]
[/ame]

I precise i updated the Family Win10 to a Pro Win10, and it's up to date. All the drivers are, of course, also up to date. Temps in Corsair Link are normal, and the sound in idle, while not absolutly inaudible, is not noticeable. The problem is it goes totally crazy at load, just like jgarcia noticed in this thread

So, what's going on ? Is it "normal" ?!? I mean : i know it's a high end set, with a big GPU, etc... but Corsair Ones are said to be quiet ! Q-U-I-E-T. I don't expect to have a totally inaudible solution with this kind of equipment, but i just can't accept to game next to a plane's reactor while paying 2800€ for a device said to be "dangerously quiet".

Is that an hardware issue ? What can i do ? I mean, there are 2 cases :

1 - ALL C1 Pro Plus are making that much noise and i'll have to send it back to get a refund (which will be very annoying), but then PLEASE, stop saying C1 are quiet, because they're NOT AT ALL.

2 - It's a probable hardware issue, and i'll have to send it back (same annoying thing than before as it's also a WORK machine...), but who will i have to deal with ? Corsair or Amazon ?

Sorry for the sometimes sarcastic tone, but i'm very very disappointed. I am really looking for help. Thanks a lot by advance

EDIT : Another video, showing how it goes with just the homescreen of SubNautica. I agree a phone is not the most accurate device to measure sound, but i guess it's enough to get the global idea... And here is a report of temperatures and fan speeds in idle, subnautica homescreen (second video) and Assassin's creed performance test (first video) : Corsair Link reports

[ame=

]
[/ame]

1401091206_CorsairOne.thumb.jpg.897c79744ea9f0293a0a5f2fabe535ed.jpg

• Corsair Employee
While the Pro Plus does packed all the high-end components inside and therefor expect to be a bit noisier, the one from your video does seems louder than expected. You've mentioned you update from Windows 10 Home to Pro, do you have the CORSAIR LINK for CORSAIR ONE installed? Because that software control all the cooling aspect of the system.

Yes, Corsair Link is installed. It's the 4.4.4.9 version, and here are some reports i've screenshot with it during idle, Subnautica homescreen (second video) and Assassin's Creed Origins (first video) : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YMPFQqgGuRhU6E4QwpGg39GACuhF_egr

I've attached the same file to first post, if you prefer.

Unless that is amplified in some way, I find it to be extremely noisy at idle. Under load, that is ridiculous. Sounds like an AntMiner :biggrin:

I was about to recommend this machine to a friend and came here to look for any potential issues, I am glad I did.

Unless that is amplified in some way, I find it to be extremely noisy at idle. Under load, that is ridiculous. Sounds like an AntMiner :biggrin:

I was about to recommend this machine to a friend and came here to look for any potential issues, I am glad I did.

Honestly, at idle, it's not a problem for me (noise is a very subjective data). While it's noticeable, it's not noisy (maybe like an xbox one s or a normal laptop idling), and any ambiant sound covers it . We're obviously up above the 20dB Corsair is arguing, but i've worked with it a few days as a graphic artist, 8 hours a day, you forget it very quickly...

The real problem is at load. I mean, if the noise of my device is "normal", it's just impossible to consider the C1 Pro Plus (maybe other versions are quieter) for gaming at all. In a house, everybody will be aware that you are gaming (my son woke up the first night i tried to use the C1 asking why mommy were using her hair dryer at this time of night -_-). In a LAN, people around you will look at you just as if you've got the EBOLA virus. And "Ready for VR" should be replaced by "Ready for VR if you've got a headphone able to cover the sound of an aircraft next to you".

StormShadow, i really think Corsair needs to be much clearer about this noise problem. Normal or not, just be transparent about this data, otherwise people will complain and complain and post killer threads and/or reviews everywhere on the internet, and people like Qqu will refrain from puchasing C1 reading false informations or isolate case experiences. As a Corsair employee, would it be possible for you to post a simple video of a C1 Pro Plus (with a 1080ti, as it seems to be center of the problem) at load ? We'll be able to judge what is "normal".

I mean, i can totally understand that such a rig in such a small volume can't be quiet (at least, as quiet as i want). I can, i totally can. I will not blame Corsair for not being able to do what's impossible, and i'll go on enjoying all my other Corsair products. I'm also sure C1 will still be a success, as other people may have very different needs and wants than mine. But I really have to know if my issue is normal, and so i have to get a refund because the device doesn't match my needs, or if it is totally abnormally crazy loud and i will find joy and happiness by replacing it and having a new quiet one...

Stormshadow, did you also see the Corsair Link reports ? Are they normal ?

Honestly, at idle, it's not a problem for me (noise is a very subjective data). While it's noticeable, it's not noisy (maybe like an xbox one s or a normal laptop idling), and any ambiant sound covers it . We're obviously up above the 20dB Corsair is arguing, but i've worked with it a few days as a graphic artist, 8 hours a day, you forget it very quickly...

The real problem is at load. I mean, if the noise of my device is "normal", it's just impossible to consider the C1 Pro Plus (maybe other versions are quieter) for gaming at all. In a house, everybody will be aware that you are gaming (my son woke up the first night i tried to use the C1 asking why mommy were using her hair dryer at this time of night -_-). In a LAN, people around you will look at you just as if you've got the EBOLA virus. And "Ready for VR" should be replaced by "Ready for VR if you've got a headphone able to cover the sound of an aircraft next to you".

StormShadow, i really think Corsair needs to be much clearer about this noise problem. Normal or not, just be transparent about this data, otherwise people will complain and complain and post killer threads and/or reviews everywhere on the internet, and people like Qqu will refrain from puchasing C1 reading false informations or isolate case experiences. As a Corsair employee, would it be possible for you to post a simple video of a C1 Pro Plus (with a 1080ti, as it seems to be center of the problem) at load ? We'll be able to judge what is "normal".

I mean, i can totally understand that such a rig in such a small volume can't be quiet (at least, as quiet as i want). I can, i totally can. I will not blame Corsair for not being able to do what's impossible, and i'll go on enjoying all my other Corsair products. I'm also sure C1 will still be a success, as other people may have very different needs and wants than mine. But I really have to know if my issue is normal, and so i have to get a refund because the device doesn't match my needs, or if it is totally abnormally crazy loud and i will find joy and happiness by replacing it and having a new quiet one...

I agree with you 100%. Can't have a claim of being dangerously quiet when it applies only at idle. I did watch your videos again and decided is wasn't as noisy at idle as I first thought but under load, that is ridiculous. I'd be interested in the dB levels.

I build my own custom water loop rigs but I was researching for a friend. He wants a compact high-end gaming rig. He is fairly computer illiterate and will need a plug and play system so I thought the One would be perfect. I built his last computer for him which meant I was the defaulted tech support guy, a role I would have happily conferred to Corsair however, I don't think he would be happy with the noise levels the machine puts out while gaming.

I think his wife plans on making this a X-mas gift so we have some time to decide on a plan. I'll check in and see if there are any developments at a later date. I hope you get this resolved!

• Corsair Employee

That's a fair point. We did publish a statement regarding the 20 dB claim, and it was tested on the lower end model of CORSAIR ONE.

Looking at the screenshots you have provided, everything except the GPU cooler is normal. The blower fan on the GPU cooler is the culprit in this case, it could be a defect on the propeller where the blades are unbalanced. Please create a ticket on our support site and let me know your ticket number and we will go from there.

"Is a Corsair One pro Plus supposed to be *THAT* noisy ?!?"

In my experience, the answer is yes.

I have had 3 Pro Plus units replaced via RMA and they have ALL been just as noisy as your video. Funnily enough, my other half also complained about the noise and couldn't watch TV properly due to it.

Aw man- this is disconcerting to read considering I've been anxiously awaiting the impending One Elite refresh. I feel like all the rave reviews I've read have not indicated that these units are that loud (and as you mentioned, rather quiet). So I'm very curious as to how your situation resolves and if this is hardware issue. Perhaps no reviewers tested the 1080ti? That amount of noise while playing games is unacceptable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
"Quiet" may be the biggest marketing scam in history. I purchased a new Corsair One Pro for my wife for her birthday. We are not gamer's but I wanted her to have a FAST reliable "quiet" machine, so I got this one. It is so loud that I can hear it in my bedroom on the other side of the house. It is unbearable to work on the machine. I purchased mine through Amazon and I am returning it. SO DISAPPOINTED. registers 58 decibels on Sound Meter app at 17% load.https://www.dropbox.com/s/bq4ijy1c8dzf63d/2018-10-13%2012.34.06.mp4?dl=0

OK, so sorry about the delay to update this post, but it took some time for the problem to be solved.

So... What happened ? First, i made an RMA ticket on Corsair's website. They answered quite fast, and with the help of StormShadow (thanks a lot...) who relayed this post with the videos to the support crew, they concluded the unit was obviously faulty.

So they gave me 2 options :

1 - sending the unit for a repair

2 - proceed to a complete replacement

I took the second option, to verify myself if everything's all right with the new unit. They asked me a 500$ guarantee fee (which is given back in the end of the procedure), and they sent me a whole new unit from Hong Kong, via FedEx. We've lost a lot of time here (a full week) because of a misunderstanding, but when the unit was sent, it took 3 days to be delivered. I have to say the support crew was very nice and understanding, because i live in 2 different places and i often change from first to second then back to first, etc... and they payed special attention to calculate when the unit would be delivered to send it to the right adress. Thumbs up.

The plan was pretty simple : if the replacement unit was OK, i would be sending my original faulty unit to Corsair and keep the good unit, if the replacement unit was also noisy or had any other problem, i would be sending it back to Corsair, and my original unit back to Amazon for a full refund. In both scenarios, the 500$ fee was refunded.

The new unit was what i expected from a Corsair One : silent, fast, powerful. And as i suspected, the problem was about the GPU. I tested both unit with Furmark. The original faulty one was going up to 80°C in a couple of seconds, making the GPU fan going to 3000+ RPM, and then the system was fighting to keep the GPU under 86-88°C, with the helicopter turbine sound you can hear on the vids. The second unit, with the same test, slowly goes to 60°C (taking 5 to 10 minutes for that), and then stays around this temperature. The most i've seen was 62°C after an hour of burning test. And at this temperature, the GPU fan is around 1800 RPM, so it's noticeable, but not *noisy* and totally normal. And most of all, totally playable with. My other computer, with the same CPU (cooled by a Be Quiet DARK ROCK PRO 4) and an MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming is slightly more noisy at full load than this Corsair One.

So i installed the new system, tested it in all configurations (working, gaming, idling, burning, etc...), and when after a week i've seen everything was OK, i contacted the support team to send my original faulty unit back to Corsair. I reseted the unit back to factory state, put it in its original case, Corsair sent me a prepaid DHL label, and DHL called me to schedule when they could come and take it, which was done yesterday, without any problem.

Sorry for the long description, but i thought it was important to detail the whole process for other customers to have a full testimony of how things can go with Corsair support.

Finally, I must say i'm impressed. When StormShadow asked me to make an RMA ticket, at first, i thought it would be a long nightmare with no final solution, at least a full month of repair time, no real improvement when receiving the repaired unit, etc... and I hesitated a long time between trust Corsair and follow the replacement process or blow off everything, get the refund and look at another product. But I was wrong. Ok, we've lost time and it could have been faster, but the 9 hours time difference didn't help to have a fluid communication, i had a lot of constraints they had to deal with (and they succeeded to do it !), my english is not that perfect, and i'm sure it could have been way faster with other customers. The replacement unit was flawless, I had plenty of time to test, do what I had to do, etc... And finally I have a functionnal Corsair One, i'm happy, and the replacement process was not the pain in the *** I expected.

So I'm not saying Corsair can solve every problem like they did with mine, but I have to say they did a very good job helping me and solving my problem. And thanks again StormShadow for the way you helped things to go :)

OK, so sorry about the delay to update this post, but it took some time for the problem to be solved.

So... What happened ? First, i made an RMA ticket on Corsair's website. They answered quite fast, and with the help of StormShadow (thanks a lot...) who relayed this post with the videos to the support crew, they concluded the unit was obviously faulty.

I took the second option, to verify myself if everything's all right with the new unit. They asked me a 500$ guarantee fee (which is given back in the end of the procedure), and they sent me a whole new unit from Hong Kong, via FedEx. We've lost a lot of time here (a full week) because of a misunderstanding, but when the unit was sent, it took 3 days to be delivered. I have to say the support crew was very nice and understanding, because i live in 2 different places and i often change from first to second then back to first, etc... and they payed special attention to calculate when the unit would be delivered to send it to the right adress. Thumbs up.

The plan was pretty simple : if the replacement unit was OK, i would be sending my original faulty unit to Corsair and keep the good unit, if the replacement unit was also noisy or had any other problem, i would be sending it back to Corsair, and my original unit back to Amazon for a full refund. In both scenarios, the 500$ fee was refunded.

The new unit was what i expected from a Corsair One : silent, fast, powerful. And as i suspected, the problem was about the GPU. I tested both unit with Furmark. The original faulty one was going up to 80°C in a couple of seconds, making the GPU fan going to 3000+ RPM, and then the system was fighting to keep the GPU under 86-88°C, with the helicopter turbine sound you can hear on the vids. The second unit, with the same test, slowly goes to 60°C (taking 5 to 10 minutes for that), and then stays around this temperature. The most i've seen was 62°C after an hour of burning test. And at this temperature, the GPU fan is around 1800 RPM, so it's noticeable, but not *noisy* and totally normal. And most of all, totally playable with. My other computer, with the same CPU (cooled by a Be Quiet DARK ROCK PRO 4) and an MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming is slightly more noisy at full load than this Corsair One.

So i installed the new system, tested it in all configurations (working, gaming, idling, burning, etc...), and when after a week i've seen everything was OK, i contacted the support team to send my original faulty unit back to Corsair. I reseted the unit back to factory state, put it in its original case, Corsair sent me a prepaid DHL label, and DHL called me to schedule when they could come and take it, which was done yesterday, without any problem.

Sorry for the long description, but i thought it was important to detail the whole process for other customers to have a full testimony of how things can go with Corsair support.

Finally, I must say i'm impressed. When StormShadow asked me to make an RMA ticket, at first, i thought it would be a long nightmare with no final solution, at least a full month of repair time, no real improvement when receiving the repaired unit, etc... and I hesitated a long time between trust Corsair and follow the replacement process or blow off everything, get the refund and look at another product. But I was wrong. Ok, we've lost time and it could have been faster, but the 9 hours time difference didn't help to have a fluid communication, i had a lot of constraints they had to deal with (and they succeeded to do it !), my english is not that perfect, and i'm sure it could have been way faster with other customers. The replacement unit was flawless, I had plenty of time to test, do what I had to do, etc... And finally I have a functionnal Corsair One, i'm happy, and the replacement process was not the pain in the *** I expected.

So I'm not saying Corsair can solve every problem like they did with mine, but I have to say they did a very good job helping me and solving my problem. And thanks again StormShadow for the way you helped things to go :)

This is amazing! I'm definitely going to be buying a Corsair ONE now.

• Corsair Employee

Glad to hear things have worked out for you. I do my job for this kind of story. Thanks for sharing, it made my day!

Good! I have used Corsair for memory for every single build (personal, friends, family and occasional customer) since the late 90s. In all those years, I have had to RMA once or twice and never had an issue with the Customer Service. Glad to hear StormShadow has picked up where the great Yellowbeard left off (RIP).

Unfortunately, my friend has decided he wants a 2080 Ti system so unless a One with a 2080 ti makes an appearance, I'll be building his rig for him. :veryangry

Archived