Corsair Community

Corsair Virtuoso sound problem? TRY THIS!

Kelevra

For some time I've had issues with my Corsair Virtuoso SE. I could never get it to work 100% right.. On default settings 24bit sound and 24 bit recording/mic they would NEVER work. it was either sound and no mic.. or no sound but the mic worked. if you're like me I have great news for you! TODAY I present to you.. THE SOLUTION!

I have fixed ALL my issues I've been having with the headset by changing the dongle and USB (charging) cable to USB 2.0 ports. For some strange reason the headset doesn't mesh well on usb 3.0 at least on intel. This is likely because of the USB 3.0 endpoints are limited to 96 on intel vs. 256 for AMD which chokes/throttles the headset as far as data transmission. The headset doesn't support or have usb 3.0 data lanes so using it on 3.0 is a waste. Plug it in to usb 2.0 and call it a day!

To further add to this working theory.. When the headset was plugged into USB 3.0 I had to downgrade my sound to 16-bit sound to get both sound and mic to work on 3.0 so if you don't have USB 2.0 or just hellbent on using USB 3.0 then that's how you get sound and mic working on intel based windows 10 machines.

Disclaimer: This is only a working theory that the USB 3.0 endpoints are the issue as having the headset and an xbox 360 controller plugged into the same/shared pair of USB 3.0 ports would make the controller fail to install. When I removed the headset the controller works 100% fine. I'm fairly confident it has to do with the endpoints and the headset gobbling up too many for usb 3.0 on intel based machines.

Edited by Kelevra
  • Thanks 1

So awhile back I had similiar issues, the real problem with USB 3.0 is the frequency it operates on is VERY VERY close to the frequency that dongle transmits on also. Having the dongle near any other cables also plugged into USB 3.0 cause a TON of interference around the dongle as the wires act as little antennas. This basically makes the dongle blind to your headset at times so you get lost audio, choppy connection, lower audio quality in general. I found that if you just move the dongle away from the other 3.0 devices either 2.0 slots or use an extension cable all problems with bad connection go away.

Good lord. My Motherboard only has USB 3.0 ports. That would explain why I just can't usse this headset in wireless mode. Using it via USB works fine.

Can you tell me if a USB 2.0 Cable for the dongle could help?

Not sure but neither the dongle or cable has 3.0 data lines/connections. The limitation is hardware based (CPU/mobo chipset) so even plugging it into a usb 3.0/3.1 will still consume the endpoints even when using a USB 2.0 extension cable. There may be a way through the bios to disable 3.0 and thus the ports become 2.0 without the endpoint limitations.

So awhile back I had similiar issues, the real problem with USB 3.0 is the frequency it operates on is VERY VERY close to the frequency that dongle transmits on also. Having the dongle near any other cables also plugged into USB 3.0 cause a TON of interference around the dongle as the wires act as little antennas. This basically makes the dongle blind to your headset at times so you get lost audio, choppy connection, lower audio quality in general. I found that if you just move the dongle away from the other 3.0 devices either 2.0 slots or use an extension cable all problems with bad connection go away.

I didn't experience this exact problem. The problem seemed to be an (over)saturation of the bandwidth/endpoints available on usb 3.0. I couldn't have my mic AND sound both at 24bit. whether that was hardwired or wireless through the dongle. I had to put my sound down to 16bit and mic at 24bit. it would not work the other way around either.

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure but neither the dongle or cable has 3.0 data lines/connections. The limitation is hardware based (CPU/mobo chipset) so even plugging it into a usb 3.0/3.1 will still consume the endpoints even when using a USB 2.0 extension cable. There may be a way through the bios to disable 3.0 and thus the ports become 2.0 without the endpoint limitations.

I just wanted to give a small update. Couple of weeks ago my 3rd RMA made it to my hands. All of the RMA's were because of lost connection again and again. When the 3rd pair arrived I've noticed that it must be a newer revision of the headset because it is clearly different. I was excited at first. Plugged the dongle into various USB 3.0 ports (rear and front, tried tower under the desk and on top of the desk) and all of them gave me connection losses. Even my PS4 gave me interrupted connections again and again. And then the magic happened. I found an old usb 2.0 extension in the storage bin under my desk. Plugged it into my motherboard. Plugged the dongle into the extension and placed the dongle under my monitor.

NOT. A. SINGLE. CONNECTION. PROBLEM. AT. ALL.

What kind of black magic trickery is this?! I feel really sorry for doing three RMA's when the solution was that easy.

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanted to give a small update. Couple of weeks ago my 3rd RMA made it to my hands. All of the RMA's were because of lost connection again and again. When the 3rd pair arrived I've noticed that it must be a newer revision of the headset because it is clearly different. I was excited at first. Plugged the dongle into various USB 3.0 ports (rear and front, tried tower under the desk and on top of the desk) and all of them gave me connection losses. Even my PS4 gave me interrupted connections again and again. And then the magic happened. I found an old usb 2.0 extension in the storage bin under my desk. Plugged it into my motherboard. Plugged the dongle into the extension and placed the dongle under my monitor.

NOT. A. SINGLE. CONNECTION. PROBLEM. AT. ALL.

What kind of black magic trickery is this?! I feel really sorry for doing three RMA's when the solution was that easy.

I don't know what it is, but if I was a betting man, I would say you're rocking an intel CPU? intel doesn't give USB 3.0 enough resources.. THAT or corsair's drivers aren't playing well with USB 3.0/1. Been using USB 2.0 since posting this and not ONE. SINGLE. PROBLEM. It's crazy. all the headaches for MONTHS trying to figure it out and it was as simple at plugging it in to 2.0. I'm glad this helped/ you figured it out? It's unclear if you tried 2.0 before seeing this post

• Corsair Employee
For those of you without PC specs uploaded, or outdated specs in your profile, can you post those? I'd like to see if we can narrow this down and provide details to our Validations team to look at. Also, if you can attach logs to your post, it would be helpful. You can export the logs in iCUE under the settings tab.