Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 793290
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
  • I can't work out why you posted this in this thread, do I need to read another thread? If so a link would be appropriate.
  • Are you saying that Corsair do not have all the source for the Corsair Link software and Corsair Link firmware? That would explain a lot.
  • Unfortunately, this has largely been the case for some time. Link had originally been developed by CoolIT, and CoolIT won't release the source to the proprietary firmware of their products, so we have to work with them. That adds complication to the process. We do have the source to the software; CL3 is based on our own source.

CL4 is being built from the ground up using the same firm responsible for our CUE software.

Quote:
  • I do test on a "tremendous variety of platforms". I also test SIV with 3 x CLCC and an old Link Commaner before releasing it. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=792644.
  • Given I wrote all the SIV code from scratch starting around 2001 I will accept it's probably easier for me than the guys who are picking up the pieces of CL. Then again I am only one and assume Corsair have a few developers.
  • Link was a comparatively minor project for a long time, it was only until recently that real resources were invested in it. That's a black mark on our record to be sure. Like I said, though, we've brought on a proper team for CL4.

Quote:
  • It took Tamas (ADIA64) less than 24 hours to implement Global\Access_CorsairLink support once I e-mailed him the semantics. Thus far Corsair have not even asked me what the semantics are.
  • The majority of the SIV CL implementation took about 3 months (evenings and weekends) and the took a couple more to figure out the firmware issues and work-a-round them. Had I had the NDA information it would have taken me far less time. When was CL4 started and how big is the team? (I know you can't/won't answer)
You already know how the NDA conversation ends. ;)

CL4 was started a few months ago and has a few developers working on it. It has a healthy team and good technical direction. My gut instinct is that the first couple of releases will be a little rocky while the new code base finds its footing, and then it'll eventually smooth out like CUE did. Long term it's the better solution.

Quote:
  • Is/will it possible to use Corsair Link to update Asetek firmware please?
Unfortunately, the firmware in the Asetek coolers isn't actually updateable. Yes, this is silly.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 793310
red-ray Reputation: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Dustin View Post
Unfortunately, this has largely been the case for some time. Link had originally been developed by CoolIT, and CoolIT won't release the source to the proprietary firmware of their products, so we have to work with them. That adds complication to the process. We do have the source to the software; CL3 is based on our own source.

CL4 is being built from the ground up using the same firm responsible for our CUE software.

CL4 was started a few months ago and has a few developers working on it. It has a healthy team and good technical direction. My gut instinct is that the first couple of releases will be a little rocky while the new code base finds its footing, and then it'll eventually smooth out like CUE did. Long term it's the better solution.
Thank you, this is what I have suspect for a long time. I assume it's the CLCC, H110iGT, H100i and H80i firmware that Corsair are missing. What are the long term plans for the CLCC?

My NDA point was with the datasheets it should take less time to implement CL 4 than it took be to add CL SIV support without them. I am still reverse engineering the Asetek protocol. With the datasheets it would have been working weeks ago.

What is the firmware source situation with the Asetek coolers? I too think no update is silly, but I suspect the Corsair RMA team don't

Were I designing CL 4 I would have the main hardware control in a Windows service written in C/C++ (both x32 and x64, no .NET!) and then a GUI that was not privileged and only active when the user was using it (x32 and eventually x64). I would also design in Global\Access_CorsairLink from day one. By doing this the development cost would be in the noise. It would also mean I could run CL4, AIDA64, HWiNFO and SIV all at the same time and check the new code in CL4 reported the same values as the others (note AIDA64 only reports Asetek AIOs). When I was developing the SIV CL support I had to keep swapping what was running to do these checks.

Last edited by red-ray; 09-01-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 08-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 793525

The original Corsair Link Commander is EOL, and honestly probably rightfully so since we're moving away from I2C and the original Cooling Nodes were less than stellar.

I'm not certain if we have access to the Asetek firmware or not, but the lack of updateable firmware is a lesson learned. I believe it was originally locked down to prevent firmware shenanigans like with the CoolIT units, but I'd be surprised if future coolers couldn't have their firmware updated.

As far as CL4 development goes, like I said, it's being rearchitected by a solid team. I can't say much more than that. I suspect a lot of your concerns will be alleviated by then and if they aren't, well, we'll keep working. Honestly, the interlock is an issue that even I've run into.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 PM
mattlach's PC Specs

POST ID # = 793628
mattlach Reputation: 10

Quote:
Link was a comparatively minor project for a long time, it was only until recently that real resources were invested in it. That's a black mark on our record to be sure. Like I said, though, we've brought on a proper team for CL4.
Takes a good company to be able to admit something like this.

I've always been impressed by Corsairs customer care. It's easy to be the good guy when everything is going right, but you can tell the true ones by how they handle the situations where something goes wrong. When Corsair replaced all the hardware in a member of the Hardforums system, after a pump seized and leaked all over the inside of the case, that was when I became a loyal customer.

I think just about every company has learned the hard way from supply chain agreements at one point or another. (I know mine sure has)

Looking forward to testing CL4 (and hoping for a Linux version, or at least some architecture data so one of the open source projects can do something with it. :p )

Old 08-08-2015, 02:25 PM
mattlach's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794649
mattlach Reputation: 10

This may be a silly question, but what happens if you try to run 3.1.5667 in Windows 10, instead of 3.2.5676?

Can it be coaxed into working by setting some sort of compatibility mode?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 817361
Confused Asetek Cooler firmware update

Quote:
Unfortunately, the firmware in the Asetek coolers isn't actually updateable. Yes, this is silly.
Please can you tell me why it's not possible to update the Asetek firmware?

When this was initially posted I felt this was silly and what is even sillier is that I expect the Asetek Cooler firmware can be updated . I have just managed to switch my H80iGT into firmware update mode and all I now need is some firmware to load, ideally some that implements all the missing functionally that is available in the CoolIT based coolers and missing from the Asetek ones.

Quote:
This is nothing to do with Fans not working when corsair link not started so why has it been moved to this thread ? It should be a new thread which is why I created a new thread .
Attached Images
File Type: png H80iGT Ready for new Firmware.png (23.7 KB, 2809 views)

Last edited by red-ray; 10-31-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 817607

You're over the line, Ray. Internally we're finding out how you've been able to access this, but these coolers were never intended to have their firmware updated in the field, and many of these "missing features" *can't* be "restored" because of controller limitations.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 817611
Confused I am surprised you feel this way

Quote:
You're over the line, Ray.
I am surprised you feel this way. I was expecting you to be pleased the firmware could be updated as this means some of the issues could be addressed. I will happily tell you how I got the cooler into firmware update mode, though obviously I will not post how to this.

I found out how to do this by accident when I was updating the firmware on a none Corsair Asetek based cooler.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 818086

It is, again, not possible. The hardware you're accessing is *not* the controller on the cooler. I've already gone through this with the engineers here.