The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 07:23 PM

POST ID # = 750802
dogman1911 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman1911
Tell me how Cherry [I don't want to mention a competitor and be banned!] who boasts of having a state-of-the-art facility in Germania cannot produce enough plastic switches in the last few months to fill a soccer stadium 10 times over? I ordered a new vehicle from the US and it was built from scratch and shipped to Canada in about a month. And yet in monthSSSS, Cherry MX cannot produce countless plastic bits?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired
2. What does a vehicle have to do with Cherry? Your comparison just doesn't make sense. "state-of-the-art facility" doesn't mean that a company can make an infinite amount of an item in a picosecond. No one here knows what their manufacturing capability is, and I suspect something like this is considered internal information so we'll never know.
A motor vehicle is a complex piece of machinery that is made up of thousands of precise moving parts weighing over a ton, made of parts from all over the world. The point is that one can be manufactured and shipped across a continent in 1 month (along with many many other vehicles). How many moving parts go in to a tiny plastic Cherry switch? And how long does it take them to manufacture 104 switches? 6 months?

My analogy with the vehicle is quite pertinent I think, but your definition of a picosecond is a little off. This keyboard has been released/out of stock for MONTHS not seconds. The point of this particular discussion actually gives some credit to Corsair, because the switch shortage is Cherry's fault not Corsair. But strangely, Corsair seems to always leap to Cherry's defense.

The reason many people, including myself are hanging on even after all this corporate obfuscation is because we really like the design of the keyboard. Corsair might be confusing this with blind brand loyalty. There are just not a lot of keyboards out there with this excellent simple layout and quality of parts (defects aside), with mechanical switches, and with RGB capability. From a design perspective I cannot fault this design (k70) - it, to me, is near perfect.

One thing this whole episode has taught many of us consumers, is that Cherry is not the apex manufacturer that many of us have believed.
Perhaps this unacknowledged problem with Cherry is the reason two of Corsair's competitors seem to have stopped using Cherry's and have started their own line of switches.

Last edited by Wired; 01-05-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: fixed bbcode

Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM
TellarHK's PC Specs

POST ID # = 750804
TellarHK Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman1911 View Post
One thing this whole episode has taught many of us consumers, is that Cherry is not the apex manufacturer that many of us have believed.
Perhaps this unacknowledged problem with Cherry is the reason two of Corsair's competitors seem to have stopped using Cherry's and have started their own line of switches.
Corsair will never acknowledge supply issues directly as long as they have a relationship with Cherry, if ever. It's not that Corsair employees wouldn't love to tell us these things, it's that there are contracts and business relationships at stake. If Corsair were to badmouth Cherry or even admit that Cherry was the cause of supply or quality issues, this would be something Cherry could legally attack Corsair with as a disparagement. Legally, Corsair can't say a word unless my understanding is *way* off base.

All Corsair can do is communicate with customers about their product. And this is what they need to do now, at probably the worst possible time of year to do it. I don't fault them for being slow, but this patience won't last long.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:17 PM

POST ID # = 750815
Goat1 Reputation: 12

I'm pretty sure this is exactly it..

Old 01-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Froggy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 750816
Froggy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellarHK View Post
All Corsair can do is communicate with customers about their product. And this is what they need to do now, at probably the worst possible time of year to do it. I don't fault them for being slow, but this patience won't last long.
The problem is that corsair has always been terrible with communication. I wouldn't use the holidays as an excuse. Their policy of only communicating through official statement is frustrating! Why do you think I'm on the forum everyday posting? It's because the more noise we make the more pressure there is for them to come up with an official statement... They really need to revamp their customer service big time!

Old 01-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Froggy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 750820
Froggy Reputation: 10

Quote:
The reason many people, including myself are hanging on even after all this corporate obfuscation is because we really like the design of the keyboard. Corsair might be confusing this with blind brand loyalty. There are just not a lot of keyboards out there with this excellent simple layout and quality of parts (defects aside), with mechanical switches, and with RGB capability. From a design perspective I cannot fault this design (k70) - it, to me, is near perfect.
Well said! My feeling exactly

Old 01-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 750837
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman1911 View Post
A motor vehicle is a complex piece of machinery that is made up of thousands of precise moving parts weighing over a ton, made of parts from all over the world. The point is that one can be manufactured and shipped across a continent in 1 month (along with many many other vehicles). How many moving parts go in to a tiny plastic Cherry switch? And how long does it take them to manufacture 104 switches? 6 months?
You mentioned filling a soccer stadium / filling producing countless bits. Maybe their manufacturing capability can only fill one pizza box a month, or can they only fill a tissue box, or maybe a classroom.

I'm not a keyboard guy, but they make something like 10 different switches I think? No one knows what their manufacturing capabilities are or how they distribute it. Maybe one month based upon reasons x,y,z they make 15% of this key, 20% of that one, and the next month they make 5% of this key, 10% of that one, etc. It's an unsolvable problem from an end user perspective. Not enough information to solve.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 01-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Reonar Dauth's PC Specs

POST ID # = 750846
Reonar Dauth Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
You mentioned filling a soccer stadium / filling producing countless bits. Maybe their manufacturing capability can only fill one pizza box a month, or can they only fill a tissue box, or maybe a classroom.

I'm not a keyboard guy, but they make something like 10 different switches I think? No one knows what their manufacturing capabilities are or how they distribute it. Maybe one month based upon reasons x,y,z they make 15% of this key, 20% of that one, and the next month they make 5% of this key, 10% of that one, etc. It's an unsolvable problem from an end user perspective. Not enough information to solve.

Does any of that really matter? I'd assume that if there truly was an exclusive agreement between Corsair and Cherry then there would probably have been an agreement to the amount they'd produce. Either that number was significantly lower than demand (which I doubt given the instant hype for these keyboards) or something went awry along the way.

Even if Corsair had underestimated how popular they were going to be they should have come out right at the beginning and said something along the lines of "We ask that you bare with us as we weren't expecting such high demand and are unable to secure contracts with our partners to produce enough components to meet demand at launch or through the high demands of the holidays; However, if you are patient we will continue to release batches as quickly as we can produce them." (I'd assume someone in PR could put it more eloquently.)

That way we wouldn't be left to speculation about Cherry. It could have been any of the internal components, and we'd have an answer to that basic question.

Of course, none of that matters when what we're talking about here is that the MX RGB Blues have disappeared and there's been no official explanation or acknowledgement.

TL;DR: A small bit of transparency would have gone a long way, but it's getting awfully close to being too late for Corsair to save face.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:26 PM

POST ID # = 750966
Goat1 Reputation: 12

I agree,there is nothing more maddening than trying to find out some info when you want a product and they are silent. I'd also love to know why they aren't going to offer blues. What's so hard about getting blue switches out there? I really believe it isn't a Corsair deal,I believe its a Cherry issue. I also think that Corsair has no idea what to tell us,that's why we haven't heard anything. They aren't the only company that does this. This kind of PR isn't going to help them either.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Truth

POST ID # = 750968
Karoushi Reputation: 10

Yeah they need to get on top of this situation, fast.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Reonar Dauth's PC Specs

POST ID # = 751119
Reonar Dauth Reputation: 10

Well, it's Monday again and the holidays are over. Hopefully we can get a response soon.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:43 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 751211
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Hi all, Im back from vacation (I hope everyone had a good holiday). I wanted to confirm that unfortunately, we are (at least for the foreseeable future) discontinuing Cherry MX Blue RGB keys. We are NOT discontinuing Cherry MX Blue (Single LED) which is still found on our Corsair Gaming non-RGB K70.

The official statement is as follows:

"Due to extremely low yield on RGB blue switch, it is not possible for Corsair to continue production on this product. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for patience thus far, please contact our Customer Service if you have an open order with Corsair and waiting for fulfillment. For those of you who do not need RGB but still want Cherry MX blue switches, we ARE producing the non-RGB K70/K95 keyboards with Cherry MX blue switches.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify it more though. First I want to apologize that we didn't announce it earlier. We ultimately made the decision to discontinue the Cherry MX Blue during the company shutdown so our distributors would know and react accordingly. We felt that it was best most of the customers who had pre-orders know right away rather than wait even longer for us to return to make it public.

Second, MX RGB Blue switches were difficult to create in the first place and we had constant issues of not having enough from Cherry due to their limited production capacity as they were also producing RGB MX Red/Brown and single-LED MX Red/Blue/Brown keys.

Third, Cherry MX Blue as a key overall isn't a very popular switch in comparison to Red and Brown. This may be contrary to what many believe but based on the volume of what we've been asked to produce, Cherry MX Blue is vastly outsold by Red and Brown MX (both RGB and single LED). This isn't just from a single region either and ultimately played a role in our decision to discontinue the MX Blue RGB.

We do apologize for those who were anticipating this version of our Corsair Gaming RGB Keyboards. For those customers who have issues with their already-purchased MX Blue RGB keyboards, our customer service are prepared to assist you accordingly. Feel free to post or PM me any questions or concerns you may have and I'll address them personally.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:58 PM

POST ID # = 751214
MHPALA Reputation: 10

Thanks for the info, James. Looks like i'm going for brown switches.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:05 PM
TellarHK's PC Specs

POST ID # = 751216

CorsairJames:

What will Corsair's position be going forward with warranty service on the RGB Blues? You say "assist you accordingly" but does that mean that we'll be able to get replacement keyboards for defects, or does that mean we're going to be pushed to other products?

Old 01-05-2015, 04:08 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 751217
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellarHK View Post
CorsairJames:

What will Corsair's position be going forward with warranty service on the RGB Blues? You say "assist you accordingly" but does that mean that we'll be able to get replacement keyboards for defects, or does that mean we're going to be pushed to other products?
You won't be able to get replacements since we won't have any, but our customer service will be able to provide you different options (different switch replacement for example).

Old 01-05-2015, 04:20 PM
TellarHK's PC Specs

POST ID # = 751218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
You won't be able to get replacements since we won't have any, but our customer service will be able to provide you different options (different switch replacement for example).
I'd rather have my money back. A keyboard that doesn't have some form of blue switch is completely unacceptable to me. I see why Corsair is going to take this approach, but I'm not going to like it at all. We'll have to see how the ticket I submitted over the weekend comes back.

I have a strong sense that my own level of anger at this is going to be eclipsed by people who will see this. You personally have my sympathy for what you and other Corsair support are possibly about to have unleashed upon you, but Corsair just burned me hard for $180+. They'd better make it right.

Thanks for letting us know at least.