Corsair Community

X470 MB power connectors

TheJDMan

Hello all! My first PC build in nearly 40 years and wow how things have changed. I built a new game PC to play with since I retired. The mother board is an MSI X470 Gaming Plus and my power supply is a Corsair TX650M. The build is finished and is running well. The MSI X470 MB is equipped with an 8 pin power connector labeled "CPU_PWR1" and a 4 pin power connector labeled "CPU_PWR2". Supplied with the power supply were a number of modular power cables one of which was marked "CPU" and consisted of a single 8 pin connector obviously for the MB 8 pin power connector. Nowhere in the PS bundle of modular cables did I find a 4 pin CPU power cable. My question is, is the 4 pin CPU power connector necessary? I suspect not. Any insight will be appreciated!

I believe that these additional power connections are for overclocking. If it's running ... then obviously, you are good. But I don't think that they are absolutely required in most cases, especially with a Ryzen 5. Ryzen 7 and especially Ryzen 9 may be a different story.

This is something that's pretty new, by the way - it wasn't until very recently (on both AMD and Intel platforms) that the second CPU power connector was even optional for mainstream class processors. Which is why most PSUs don't have the second connector. You would likely see it on the higher-end, higher power PSUs that also target HEDT.