Corsair Community

Thank you Corsair & Please a request!

Greetings,

I own a K95 Platinum RGB keyboard. This is the third time I have had the wrist rest break on me in a 2+ year time. First off I want to thank Corsair for extending the warranty to cover this replacement when technically out of warranty. You didn't have to do it but you did and I'm enormously grateful for it.

That being said. I simply cannot understand why the wrist rest for the k95 Platinum RGB has never been made available for purchase separately. Each of the three times it has broken, I have had to do a full RMA and basically get a brand new keyboard when all I need is the wrist rest. That cannot be very cost-effective for you all, when you are giving me a $200 new keyboard for a $25 dollar part. You have just about every other wrist rest up for sale in your parts store, EXCEPT this one and it is puzzling why the wrist rest for your top-of-the-line keyboard doesn't have this option?

I love your keyboards. I have been a fan long before the original k95 and K70. I still have an M95 mouse! Sadly the one thing that Corsair has never been able to conquer is the plastic clips on their keyboards. May I make a suggestion and say instead of two plastic clips on each side but magnets!! They work! And since they are magnets they flex and you can have a wrist rest at a few different angles, all without any concern of it breaking. Even if you drop the keyboard, the wrist rest would simply diconnect. No breakage!

Anyway I'm outta warranty waiting on my ARMA. If this wrist rest goes I don't know what I'll turn to as I have had no fewer than 7 wristrests over 4 separate keyboards break on me and my wife. I have 4 K70 wrist rests in storage and pull one out every 9-12 months and I'm okay with that. Please let us buy the k95 platinum RGB wrist rests.. Please!

Thanks,

Ron

• Corsair Employee

From what I understand of it, the K95 RGB Platinum is the only device which uses that wrist rest. While you would think that we should just be able to sell the part by itself, it's a bit more complicated than that. We have to manufacture the part, label it separately from the production version of the wrist rest, package it separately, and then store it. Not to mention someone has to arrange all of that, spend man hours making the deals and contracts required to do that, etc... It's actually pretty dang expensive to do all of the work simply to have a part available for purchase that is only being bought by people who broke their previous one on this single very specific keyboard.

So, rather than not have it available (which used to be the case), the support teams arranged a system to have this done through them instead.

I fully understand this but consider this. When a wrist rest is broken and the keyboard is fully functional, what do they do with the returned keyboard? Part it out for replacement parts? Probably. At least the keys are transferable to other keyboards, but that is about it. The frame, circuit board, ect is also unique in size, shape and functions. On top of all that, the k95 platinum is considered their top tier keyboard which is also the most expensive.

I suppose that in the end they have priced it out to determine the cheapest way to go. The plastic moulding and rubber grip are the two components to the wrist rest. The cost of mass producing those isn't that much. For a $15 wrist rest they probably spend less than 2-4 dollars on the parts. Packaging is a cardboard box, so that leaves the labour of putting it in the box, logging it/out into inventory and slapping a label on it. Two of those three they have to do to send out a whole new keyboard.

In the end with the premium price on the keyboard, I do appreciate that if I break a wrist rest, they replace the whole keyboard with a new one. Still i find it odd to replace a $200 keyboard just cause you don't want to make a $15 part. Then at the end of 2 years, what do you do if it breaks? There is no recourse other than to not use the wrist rest or have to buy a new one.

That being said, my keyboard was 2 months out of warranty and Corsair graciously honoured it and is sending me a new one.

Hi brighttail, I've taken your feedback to the team and we'll be addressing some things you mention. Thanks!

Hi there,

I do appreciate this. I've owned Corsair Keyboards from all the way from the original K70 RGB to the K90 and K95 to the K95 PLatinum. Sadly each one has had issues with the wrist rest, with the exception of the K90 which the wrist rest was secured by two thumb screws. Plastic clips just simply break. I hope one day Corsair will move to magnetic mounting.

In the meantime I have stocked up on wrist rests for all those keyboards, as I still own and use them all in various forms and when they break I simply replace it. I hope to be able to do the same with the K95 platinum as it has been the best keyboard of them all and is now no longer under warranty.