Corsair Community

How to upgrade the NVMe drive in the i160?

I own a Corsair One i160 model and swapped out the internal 2 TB HDD by a Samsung 4 TB SSD without any problems. Is there any tutorial / information on how to upgrade the 480 GB NVMe drive that (as I have read) sits on the back of the mainboard? Has anyone done this already and can tell me how difficult it is? I understand that this procedure voids the warranty despite I do not really understand why :sigh!: My plan is to swap this by a Samsung 2 TB NVMe.

From what I've heard, the only way to access the M.2 SSD is to remove the GPU assembly. That's more major surgery than just replacing the HDD, and I expect that's why it affects the warranty. Here's an article with a tear-down that shows the layout: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/One_i160_Gaming_PC/

As someone who has built my own computers for many years, I've had to realize that, at some point, you just have to accept that you bought a finely-engineered prebuilt system and resist the urge to tinker beyond a certain point. Could you build a great system yourself? Sure. Could you build a system like this one? No. So be happy with what you have. That's the trade-off for having a system as remarkable as this one.

• 4 months later...

Just got my i160, also very curious about upgrading the M.2 NVMe SSD. Has anyone had any luck yet doing this?

Also - curious as to whether i'd see a benefit gaming if I upgrade the 2tb HDD to an SSD, and use that for game storage? Will I see faster loading times if i keep it on the NVMe SSD vs a SATA SSD?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees

The M.2 is located on the back of the motherboard for most of our CORSAIR ONE, which mean it required a complete tear down of the internal components, this is NOT recommended, unless you are a veteran builder with a lot of small form factor building experience.

Your game loading time will NOT improve going from an HDD to an SSD.

• 4 weeks later...
I have just updated the internal M.2 NVMe SSD from the 500 GB default model (in the i160) to a 2 TB Samsung 970 Evo. Works like a charm! There were a few screws (<10) to loosen in the process, but in general the change of the SSD was not difficult. It was just behind the GPU. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
Can you expand on the process, steps by chance please?

This is a pretty rough guide, but should give you an idea of the process. Be really careful when doing this as your warranty will likely be void if any damage occurs while you attempt this.

1. Open Up CORSAIR ONE by pressing release button on rear of system and lifting the top fan assembly.
  2. Disconnect top fan.
  3. Remove screws securing side panel to video card side of system. (Side panel has radiator for video card cooling system connected to it, take care to just move this out of the way while you're working on it).
  4. Remove video card (this'll involve a number of screws, take note of size and location as you work around the graphics card). Be careful of any cables connected to the GPU cooler.
  5. Gently remove graphics card (unplug power/PCIe riser cables).
  6. Remove stock M.2 SSD (make sure you backed up your data), keep it safe in case you need to replace the stock SSD for whatever reason.
  7. Install new M.2 SSD (note that if it's brand new, you'll need to install Windows 10 and drivers)
  8. Reinstall graphics card.
  9. Close side panel and secure to chassis.
  10. Reconnect and install fan assembly to top of chassis.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the guide!

Removing the video card wasn't as difficult as I first thought, just be careful.

I first tried attaching a headspreader to the new M.2, but removed it after taking the foto. With the added 10mm (0,39") the M.2 was pressed against the riser cables.

1995484824_2020-03-0711_31_34-IMAG1231.jpg-IrfanView(Zoom_532x901).thumb.png.df483237ae3ce490c0a09486b8453ea1.png

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was also hesitant to switch out the NVME. I found a way without disassemble the whole PC. You can unplug the riser cable (after takings out the screws) but that is not quiet enough to reach the nvme easily.

Following do at your own risk:

You can bend the little upper metal tab that holds the riser up to have an easier time reaching the nvme. After that you can unscrew and take out the old (slow) nvme. Getting a new one in is a bit more difficult but if you don't have giant hands it was possible for me to do in 5 minutes and some patients. Bend the metal tab back, plug the riser cable back in and be done with it.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My factory nvm on my Corsair 164 died to the point the OS does not recognize its still in there.  Since the motherboard is only PCI 3 I bought a 1 TB PCI 3.0 drive replacement (Samsung 980). 

I set my computer to just run off of an upgraded 4 TB SSD I installed easily but I want to repair the nvme because of all of the speed benefits.

Thanks for the instructions set.  I was just curious if anyone has ever seen a video on replacing the NVMe posted.  My searches have come up empty.  I would feel more confident if I could see this done step by step since it was a $3,000+ computer in its day.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2019 at 11:24 PM, Corsair CJ said:

This is a pretty rough guide, but should give you an idea of the process. Be really careful when doing this as your warranty will likely be void if any damage occurs while you attempt this.

1. Open Up CORSAIR ONE by pressing release button on rear of system and lifting the top fan assembly.
  2. Disconnect top fan.
  3. Remove screws securing side panel to video card side of system. (Side panel has radiator for video card cooling system connected to it, take care to just move this out of the way while you're working on it).
  4. Remove video card (this'll involve a number of screws, take note of size and location as you work around the graphics card). Be careful of any cables connected to the GPU cooler.
  5. Gently remove graphics card (unplug power/PCIe riser cables).
  6. Remove stock M.2 SSD (make sure you backed up your data), keep it safe in case you need to replace the stock SSD for whatever reason.
  7. Install new M.2 SSD (note that if it's brand new, you'll need to install Windows 10 and drivers)
  8. Reinstall graphics card.
  9. Close side panel and secure to chassis.
  10. Reconnect and install fan assembly to top of chassis.

Do these same steps apply for the A200 ?

Edited by kalmiya