Corsair Community

hx1200i will now not POST to Asus z270-A

Bmcd77

Hi,

I'm trying to get an hx1200i to post an Asus z270-A mobo.

I ran these 2 together no prob for 2yrs then the hx1200i went 'bang'. I've RMA'd it and now can't get the Asus z270-A to post.

However I can get the mobo to post with a spare Corsair Rm550x and I can get the hx1200i to post a different board too.

I've stripped the z270-a down to bare components. The led power light comes on and the cpu fan spins but no post. Bizarre given both post other systems ok. I booted the z270-a into win 10 and left it for 24hrs with the 550 psu but the hx1200i won't Post it. Any suggestions?

• Corsair Employee

Hi Bmcd77,

Can you please reach out to our Technical Support team at help.corsair.com? If you have already, what is your ticket number? It should start with 200. Is the other board/CPU combo is the one in your PC specs? It sounds like it would be best to have the HX1200i replaced.

Thanks for the reply.

The hx1200i I’m referring to I recently received (RMA) from 2003614893. This RMA was because of an original failure being 2003569782.

I’ve not raised another yet due to some disbelief that a third hx1200i could have an issue after the original was solid for 2 yrs but perhaps it could be the case. I always think I’ve missed something first.

I’ll consider another ticket if I don’t get any further running my own tests. Is there a PSU tester you can recommend to be absolutely sure?

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the reply.

The hx1200i I’m referring to I recently received (RMA) from 2003614893. This RMA was because of an original failure being 2003569782.

Do you recall the lot code of the original PSU?

Was the RMA done by Corsair in Almere, NL or by Scan in the UK?

And did the first PSU >>EVER<< work?

Edited by jonnyguru

Do you recall the lot code of the original PSU?

Was the RMA done by Corsair in Almere, NL or by Scan in the UK?

And did the first PSU >>EVER<< work?

The Original SN is : 18107137000013900648 not sure which part is the lot code. Part Number : CP-9020070 / 74-010584

The RMA was done by Scan in the Uk I presume. (it was def done in the Uk)

Ah... Missed this:

What is the motherboard that it DOES work in?

Its an Asus B150-M it's an older board I use for a mini budget server I built several years ago (DDR3, i5 7500, 6 HDD's) following this (https://blog.briancmoses.com/2017/12/diy-nas-econonas-2017.html)

The board in my estimation would have lower tollerances that the z270-a which is maybe more refined.

My first RMA of the hx1200i following the original failure had a 12v rail that was fluctuating down to 11.3v. I booted the B150-M with it and got voltage surge warnings and when in the bios the voltage figure I was watching was literally jumping around. I presumed that was why the Z270-a would not boot (I still think a fluctuating 12v rail on a higher end PSU out the box is a fault)

My second RMA is the one we are discussing. The rails seem stable (better) but something is off on iether the PSU or the Z270-a. It could be a subtle as a tolerance and I think the B150-M would have lower tollerances being an older more basic board. I presume that's why I can boot that one but not the z270-a.

• Corsair Employee

Ok... I'm asking because the list of motherboards that the AX1200 and AX12200i in the UK (batch isolated to our UK customers, it seems) are ALL Asus boards:

Bmcd77: Asus Prime Z270-A

PixelatedBox: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO

Turnip: ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi

Skeex: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO

Fidaros: Asus ROG-STRIX-Z390-F-GAMING

I think perhaps I should open a ticket again. My z270-a will run from a Corsair RM550x PAU so it’s intact and ok. I don’t know why the hx1200i won’t Post the board but I’ve tried everything I can think of. Hoping there isn’t a new revision of the hx1200i that is causing this.

thanks for the comments and suggestions thus far .

Let me know if you have a strong opinion either way (it’s the mobo / it’s the PSU)

Just would like to get my pc running again.

Some great service incoming from Corsair. Due to my comments on this forum in help.corsair.com they've got in touch with me to recommend an RMA of the PSU. Thanks to @jonnyguru for the response in here and sensible discussions and Corsair for proactively suggesting a new RMA. #2003681921.

• 2 weeks later...

just to finish this post off :

As indicated due to discussions on this forum corsair offered a third RMA replacement proactively. I in turn asked for an Ax1200i instead of another hx1200i since as described I could not boot my mobo with the 2nd replacement unit and wanted to try something different 3rd time round.

They shipped my hx1200i to California direct and quick couriered me an Ax1200i. I plugged it in to my Asus z270-a and it booted correctly immediately into the bios (unlike the 2 previous new hx1200i's). So it wasn't a problem on my end as I was starting to presume.

So conclusion is they've clearly got a batch of dodgy hx1200i's off a production line. When you are alone with you gear your last conclusion is that the new unit is faulty so I lost a fair bit of time fault finding.

None the less, the service I received from Corsair was very good and they got me an Ax1200i in the end which solved my problem. They communicated throughout keeping me in the loop so thumbs up to the service.

Also a quick well done to whoever asked what the batch number of the hx1200i was. Seems that was a good shout.

• Corsair Employee
just to finish this post off :

As indicated due to discussions on this forum corsair offered a third RMA replacement proactively. I in turn asked for an Ax1200i instead of another hx1200i since as described I could not boot my mobo with the 2nd replacement unit and wanted to try something different 3rd time round.

They shipped my hx1200i to California direct and quick couriered me an Ax1200i. I plugged it in to my Asus z270-a and it booted correctly immediately into the bios (unlike the 2 previous new hx1200i's). So it wasn't a problem on my end as I was starting to presume.

So conclusion is they've clearly got a batch of dodgy hx1200i's off a production line. When you are alone with you gear your last conclusion is that the new unit is faulty so I lost a fair bit of time fault finding.

None the less, the service I received from Corsair was very good and they got me an Ax1200i in the end which solved my problem. They communicated throughout keeping me in the loop so thumbs up to the service.

Also a quick well done to whoever asked what the batch number of the hx1200i was. Seems that was a good shout.

I got your unit back and it worked for me in most boards, but we did get it to not post in the fourth board we tried it in.

What kind of RAM are you using? Your sig only has the speed and capacity.

Ok... I'm asking because the list of motherboards that the AX1200 and AX12200i in the UK (batch isolated to our UK customers, it seems) are ALL Asus boards:

Bmcd77: Asus Prime Z270-A

PixelatedBox: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO

Turnip: ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi

Skeex: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO

Fidaros: Asus ROG-STRIX-Z390-F-GAMING

Well my second HX1200i psu has now started to have random power cuts for the last couple of days. This happens randomly at desktop idle, playing games ect doesn't matter if the pc is idle or underload. Refitted my 7 yearold AX860i and all is fine again with no problems so this is psu related. Starting to get a bit sick about this, seems like a compatability issue with certain Asus motherboards will i need to raise another ticket support jonnyguru?