Corsair Community

H115i Platinum vs H115i Pro vs H150i Pro

nfxcr3w

Hi i'm looking for a great AIO Cooler to go with the i7 9700K Build i'm doing soon and wanted your guys help to decide which one to buy.

I'm looking for a Quiet AIO Pump and Fan with great cooling Performance but can't decide on which one to get?

I see you are looking at the 280mm, but i’ve had good success with cooling the i7 8700K with the H100i RGB Platinum. I can’t say that I even hear the pump and my idle temps are usually low 30’s and then mid-50’s under load.

I would expect the H115i Platinum would perform similarly as the pump is the same, being 6th gen. Whether you need a 280mm rad vs. 240mm may just come down to your preference based on your case.

Tony

I see you are looking at the 280mm, but i’ve had good success with cooling the i7 8700K with the H100i RGB Platinum. I can’t say that I even hear the pump and my idle temps are usually low 30’s and then mid-50’s under load.

I would expect the H115i Platinum would perform similarly as the pump is the same, being 6th gen. Whether you need a 280mm rad vs. 240mm may just come down to your preference based on your case.

Tony

Cheers i did hear that h115i rgb platinum uses CoolIT instead of Asetek not too sure which is better. But i keep hearing so many mixed reviews it's hard to decide.

Cheers i did hear that h115i rgb platinum uses CoolIT instead of Asetek not too sure which is better. But i keep hearing so many mixed reviews it's hard to decide.

You are correct, I forgot the Asetek is in the Pro version. Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Note, while you can add RGB fans to the non-RGB versions after the fact, if you are interested you may want to get the RGB Platinum. The Platinum version has the RGB lead cables attached to the pump with the Fan wires - so you don't need a Commander Pro or Lightning Node Pro, which is kind of nice.

Best of luck with your new build.

Tony

They are manufactured with different partners and the hardware is not identical, however end cooling results are largely the same. If don’t have a preference (or a grudge) against one or the other, it doesn’t matter.

There are some other differences to be aware of. The Platinum series cooler’s have an internal lighting controller that will provide controllable rgb effects for its two fans and the pump cover. This might be of interest if you don’t have other Corsair RGB fans/strips and allows a beginning step into the arena. If you already a LNP or Commander Pro and some RGB fans, this is going to have less value and you would likely run the lighting through that controller and not the cooler. You do pay for the extra hardware and RGB fans on the Platinum.

Quiet - The Pro series cooler’s have an extra low pump speed (1100) the Platinum does not. This is a little too slow for prolonged load, but if you spend a lot of time on the desktop in low load situations and you know you are sensitive to any noise in the case, this may have value. The Pro has three speeds at 1100/2160/2850 and the Platinum three speeds between 2000-3000. On a 9700K, you will likely leave it at 2000 for load situations and be done. It is not necessary to alter pump speed within that range.

The H115i Pro is going to be less expensive without the internal lighting controller and it does not come with RGB fans. There is an issue with USB connectivity for some Platinum users that is being resolved, but may bear consideration. Lots of threads in this section.

They are manufactured with different partners and the hardware is not identical, however end cooling results are largely the same. If don’t have a preference (or a grudge) against one or the other, it doesn’t matter.

There are some other differences to be aware of. The Platinum series cooler’s have an internal lighting controller that will provide controllable rgb effects for its two fans and the pump cover. This might be of interest if you don’t have other Corsair RGB fans/strips and allows a beginning step into the arena. If you already a LNP or Commander Pro and some RGB fans, this is going to have less value and you would likely run the lighting through that controller and not the cooler. You do pay for the extra hardware and RGB fans on the Platinum.

Quiet - The Pro series cooler’s have an extra low pump speed (1100) the Platinum does not. This is a little too slow for prolonged load, but if you spend a lot of time on the desktop in low load situations and you know you are sensitive to any noise in the case, this may have value. The Pro has three speeds at 1100/2160/2850 and the Platinum three speeds between 2000-3000. On a 9700K, you will likely leave it at 2000 for load situations and be done. It is not necessary to alter pump speed within that range.

The H115i Pro is going to be less expensive without the internal lighting controller and it does not come with RGB fans. There is an issue with USB connectivity for some Platinum users that is being resolved, but may bear consideration. Lots of threads in this section.

You are correct, I forgot the Asetek is in the Pro version. Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Note, while you can add RGB fans to the non-RGB versions after the fact, if you are interested you may want to get the RGB Platinum. The Platinum version has the RGB lead cables attached to the pump with the Fan wires - so you don't need a Commander Pro or Lightning Node Pro, which is kind of nice.

Best of luck with your new build.

Tony

Thanks guys i think i'll stick to the H115i Platinum then since i diidn't like the sound of the h115i pro slow pump for prolonged load

since i do a lot of video editing i need that coolling performance. :biggrin:

You simply set the Pro pump speed to the middle setting - same as the Platinum. Aside from that, pump speed has little effect on end cooling performance.

So that would be Balanced settiing in iCUE on the Pro variant?

You simply set the Pro pump speed to the middle setting - same as the Platinum. Aside from that, pump speed has little effect on end cooling performance.

I'm actually trying to get my H115i Pro pump speed and fan curves set up now as well.

After reading this thread yesterday, I tried setting pump speed to extreme, and didn't notice much of a noise difference so have left it there. But now I see you saying it doesn't effect cooling performance much.

Any general comments or advice on what your recommendations are and why? e.g. is there any downside to me leaving it on extreme?

So that would be Balanced settiing in iCUE on the Pro variant?

Yes, 2160 is balanced on the Pro. The “Quiet” setting is about the same on the Platinum. Balanced on the Platinum is around 2450.

I'm actually trying to get my H115i Pro pump speed and fan curves set up now as well.

After reading this thread yesterday, I tried setting pump speed to extreme, and didn't notice much of a noise difference so have left it there. But now I see you saying it doesn't effect cooling performance much.

Any general comments or advice on what your recommendations are and why? e.g. is there any downside to me leaving it on extreme?

AIO cooling systems are short in length and typically only have one component. The restriction level is low. You don’t need a lot of pressure to create moderate flow. Additionally, there is a balance between the flow speed (or cycle rate) vs time in radiator channel. Increasing the flow rate means more trips to the radiator in a given interval of time, but also less time in the radiator to have the heat dissipated. It also means each unit of water is in the CPU/GPU block for marginally longer and may pick up more heat, thus the coolant temp is "warmer". Temp drop per pass is typically 1-1.5C at most, so these are fine margins either way. Trying to assess the difference is tedious and tiny. The notable exception to all this is there does seem to be a minimum pressure level where coolant flow rate is dramatically affected and this tips the scales. The 1100 rpm pump speed can push temps up 6-10C depending on CPU. Too slow is too slow, but faster is not necessarily better.

Aside from the increased noise, there isn’t a downside to the higher speed (excluding the argument above). In a theoretical sense, faster must be more wear, but that is not how they are assessed (hours of operation) and nobody drives their car at 25 mph everywhere because it’s less wear than 45-65 mph. Use it how you need to.

Edited by c-attack

Yes, 2160 is balanced on the Pro. The “Quiet” setting is about the same on the Platinum. Balanced on the Platinum is around 2450.

AIO cooling systems are short in length and typically only have one component. The restriction level is low. You don’t need a lot of pressure to create moderate flow. Additionally, there is a balance the flow speed (or cycle rate) vs time in radiator channel. Increasing the flow rate means more trips to the radiator in a given interval of time, but also less time in the radiator to have the heat dissipated. It also means each unit of water is in the CPU/GPU block for marginally longer and may pick up more heat, thus the coolant temp is "warmer". Temp drop per pass is typically 1-1.5C at most, so these are fine margins either way. Trying to assess the difference is tedious and tiny. The notable exception to all this is there does seem to be a minimum pressure level where coolant flow rate is dramatically affected and this tips the scales. The 1100 rpm pump speed can push temps up 6-10C depending on CPU. Too slow is too slow, but faster is not necessarily better.

Aside from the increased noise, there isn’t a downside to the higher speed (excluding the argument above). In a theoretical sense, faster must be more wear, but that is not how they are assessed (hours of operation) and nobody drives their car at 25 mph everywhere because it’s less wear than 45-65 mph. Use it how you need to.

Thank you c-attack. ;):

Whooops. Lost in all of this was the 360mm H150i. At full tilt with high fan speeds, there is not a lot of difference between a 280 and 360mm for CPU level loads. You can start to stretch things out with 300W+, but that is only going to come into play on GPU or multi-component systems. As whether to go with a 360mm or 280mm, it is your case that should be the determining factor. Yes, a lot of them can do both, but that does not mean one fit isn't better than another. There are often little mounting flanges or other items that might make one or the other more desirable. There are also aesthetic reasons too. My 740 Air is a big, wide case. It screams out for all 140mm fans everywhere and it looks really nice. Additionally, I can put a 280mm in 3 different places in the model. A 360mm has only one mount location. Easy choice. On the other hand, a skinnier case like a 460 or 570 really does better with 120mm based radiators and the extra width of a 280/140 can be a problem, precluding other hardware or mounting locations.

I am always in favor of getting the largest radiator that fits your space. It allows you to keep low fan speeds and thus a quieter environment at idle and load. After that, it really is case specific and not performance.

• 2 weeks later...
Whooops. Lost in all of this was the 360mm H150i. At full tilt with high fan speeds, there is not a lot of difference between a 280 and 360mm for CPU level loads. You can start to stretch things out with 300W+, but that is only going to come into play on GPU or multi-component systems. As whether to go with a 360mm or 280mm, it is your case that should be the determining factor. Yes, a lot of them can do both, but that does not mean one fit isn't better than another. There are often little mounting flanges or other items that might make one or the other more desirable. There are also aesthetic reasons too. My 740 Air is a big, wide case. It screams out for all 140mm fans everywhere and it looks really nice. Additionally, I can put a 280mm in 3 different places in the model. A 360mm has only one mount location. Easy choice. On the other hand, a skinnier case like a 460 or 570 really does better with 120mm based radiators and the extra width of a 280/140 can be a problem, precluding other hardware or mounting locations.

I am always in favor of getting the largest radiator that fits your space. It allows you to keep low fan speeds and thus a quieter environment at idle and load. After that, it really is case specific and not performance.

Just a quick update I went with the H115i Pro RGB in the end since it was in my price range had to remove the thermal paste and reapply it since it was bone dry out the box and the CPU Spiked to 100c now its all good with MX-4 Thermal Paste applied. How's my Temps looking? normally my CPU Idles around 27c and when gaming around 50 to 65c

Capture1.png

Looks like you are in good shape. CPU temp is right at the coolant temp (lowest theoretical temperature). Load temps sound fine, although this is always Vcore related.

Seems to be doing the job well, so as c-attack said - you look to be in good shape. Glad your upgrade worked out.

Tony

Thanks guys im more then happy with my Build now 1000x better then what i had. Glad i researched better this time.

• 7 months later...