Corsair Community

Issue with hydro x gfx waterblock

Toony

Hi .

I just build new system, I been running my ASUs 2070 super gpu on air cooling for 3 days making sure it work, today I fitted my water cooling, the gpu won’t boot up with Corsair hydro block on it, I get white light on motherboard, so I drained the system, put the stock cooler back on it booted up fine, swap back to the water cooling it will not boot am I missing something, ? The rbg connected is plugged in to my commander pro and the rbg works fine but card won’t boot it’s weird?

Any help be grateful

Thanks

There isn't any sort of wired connection between the gpu block and the gpu itself, so I wouldn't think it's a technical incompatibility in that sense. One thing that could prevent it from working is if there is a thermal shutdown because your thermal paste wasn't applied correctly, your card is indeed not compatible with the block so proper contact isn't established, you didn't install the block correctly (not flush and reasonably tight), or if you didn't actually fill your loop. I'm not sure if that's the case here though, but I'd definitely check to make sure your GPU is listed as compatible with the block you purchased. If it is, then there are some other possibilities to consider?

Other than that, it's just sanity checks from there. Are you 100% sure you plugged in 8/12 pin power connectors to the GPU? Are you 100% sure you actually plugged in the DisplayPort/HDMI cable to the GPU itself? Are you 100% sure the GPU was properly installed in the PCIE slot? If you're vertically mounting, when you tested it stock, did you use a riser cable? Or did you just test it horizontally and only use the riser cable after you installed the water block? If so, you could have a bad riser cable. Any of those things not being correct can trigger the VGA light on your motherboard.

Does your CPU have integrated graphics? If so, one thing you could try is booting the machine while having your DisplayPort/HDMI cable plugged into the motherboard to force it to use the integrated graphics. From there you could check BIOS or any installed system monitors to see if the graphics card is being detected, and check temps and/or Event Viewer to see if anything is off.

Crazy unqualified possibility: I know most Motherboard BIOS will refuse to boot if something isn't installed on the CPU fan header for the CPU (until you disable the check anyway). I'm not sure if some GPUs have the same safety mechanism in their BIOS...could be it's freaking out when it detects that the fans are no longer connected. I've NEVER heard of that though so I highly doubt that's the issue. Just brainstorming here...

Edited by nerdballer

hi

yes I checked that the waterblock was compatible through corsair website and it says it was.

the GPU card is asus 2070 super turbo model: TURBO-RTX2070S-8G-EVO

the waterblock is CX-9020009-WW which corsair website says is compatible.

The card is running perfectly fine at moment in the computer with default air cooler, soon as I put the waterblock on it doesn't post tried this 3 times, and with and without the backplate installed in case it was that.

I do have raiser cable and vertical mount it works fine with card on air cooler and with different gpu card but at moment I took it out just to try and get waterblock to work which is not working vertical mount or just normally plugged in to the pci-e slot, but its all works on air cooler

when I remove the block the whole chip and the block shows it connecting with the thermal paste, the pads are showing indents in them as if they hitting the chip on the card to.

yea all the power connectors are plugged in as I working with all the same cables on air cooler, I did wonder if the card is causing issue with no fan connected, but never had this in past and I cant see bios setting to change there either for that.

thanks

Edited by Toony

hi

yes I checked that the waterblock was compatible through corsair website and it says it was.

the GPU card is asus 2070 super turbo model: TURBO-RTX2070S-8G-EVO

the waterblock is CX-9020009-WW which corsair website says is compatible.

The card is running perfectly fine at moment in the computer with default air cooler, soon as I put the waterblock on it doesn't post tried this 3 times, and with and without the backplate installed in case it was that.

I do have raiser cable and vertical mount it works fine with card on air cooler and with different gpu card but at moment I took it out just to try and get waterblock to work which is not working vertical mount or just normally plugged in to the pci-e slot, but its all works on air cooler

when I remove the block the whole chip and the block shows it connecting with the thermal paste, the pads are showing indents in them as if they hitting the chip on the card to.

yea all the power connectors are plugged in as I working with all the same cables on air cooler, I did wonder if the card is causing issue with no fan connected, but never had this in past and I cant see bios setting to change there either for that.

thanks

hi

Which cable do you use for the vertical?

hi

Which cable do you use for the vertical?

if you are referring to the issues with the First Gen Corsair Riser Cable... was an issue for Intel Boards,, z390 to be specific... the OP is AMD if his PC specs are up to date ;): and the machine would still boot but get no display...

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=187028

this sounds like the block and board are shorting maybe....

Edited by Zotty

if you are referring to the issues with the First Gen Corsair Riser Cable... was an issue for Intel Boards,, z390 to be specific... the OP is AMD if his PC specs are up to date ;): and the machine would still boot but get no display...

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=187028

this sounds like the block and board are shorting maybe....

I use the cablemod riser cable kit it works fine with card on air cooler and spare old ti560 card I have lying about, at moment its not fitted in the pc and the card just plugged into the pcie port, both card work in this port to, but the moment I put waterblock on with ot without backplate, vga light comes on wont post, am sure it a block issue but I cant narrow down to where as if it is I can try return it as it not even month I have had it as it was all bought brand new.

thanks for replies :)

Do you clean the PCIE contacts on the card after mounting the block? It sounds silly but it happens that just a slight trac of skin oils can defeat contacts.

I have once seen my card work at X8 speed because the PCB wasn't completely clean. same for the riser cable contacts.

It would be a big coincidence that this would cause the issue only when you try the waterblock, but could be worth checking too, and it would be an easy fix.

hi

on the riser cable no but I have on the card on 2 of the attempts to get it working with watercooling made sure everything was clean, each time I removed the card I put the plastic cover for the pcie contacts back on to make sure I have not damaged or got dust or dropped anything on the card

Sounds weird man. I guess if it was me, I'd probably try these things.

If my CPU has integrated graphics, I'd plug my video cable into the MoBo and see if the GPU is even being detected or not once I get into BIOS or Windows.

I'd try different outgoing ports on the GPU. I doubt that's the issue, but it doesn't hurt to check.

If you really want to test if it's an issue with the video card freaking out when no fans are detected, you could try leaving the stock cooler on but not plugging in the fans to the GPU's fan header. If it doesn't boot up at that point, then we know that's the issue. You wouldn't damage the card by testing this for a few minutes as the heatsink would still have plenty of thermal runway to absorb any heat before temps got too high. A lot of GPUs these days don't even run the fans when idling...

hi

its weird alright never had this issue before with any gfx and waterblock in past, I not tried running the stock cooler without the fan plugged in, there 2 cables on the stock cooler white and brown? which is fan guessing the other controlling the small rgb on fan or could I just unplug them both,

if the card doesn't post with fan disconnected is that fault or card been designed to work with fan connected as fail safe?

ryzen 7 3700x don't have intergrated gpu chips and my monitor only has hdmi no display ports as I have not updated monitor thinking hdmi would be ok :)

thx

I'd probably leave both unplugged to replicate how the GPU sees things when it's installed on the waterblock. What we're trying to determine here is whether the GPU isn't happy when those things are unplugged, or if perhaps you're getting some sort of short when the waterblock is installed. If things work on the stock cooler even when those cables are unplugged, then we know it is something specific to having the waterblock installed. If it still doesn't work, then we know it's something related to the GPU not being happy when those cables aren't plugged in.

If it's the latter, then I would think that's a fault with the GPU. Which exact Asus GPU are you using?

hi

am using the below card link there to

GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Blower EVO 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

TURBO-RTX2070S-8G-EVO

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-rtx-2070-super-blower-evo-8192mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-43s-as.html

well if it gpu that's at fault am stuck on using air cooling as I been trying to get answer for this for 2 weeks emailed the corsair, asus and the company I bought it from who told me since I removed the cooler I voided the warrenty on it which I knew was the risk anyway and is hoping its the waterblock, ill try unplugging the 2 cables see what happens

thx

Ugh i hate that for you man. It's weird how some manufacturers get all sketched out when you remove the stock cooler while other don't. I know EVGA is more open to it, and from what I've heard NVIDIA doesn't officially void your warranty if you open up their FE cards. I also noticed there are no tamper-evident stickers or tape or screws when cracking open the FE. I'm not sure about your model though. At the end of the day, if Asus can't prove you cracked open the card, and you don't tell them when you do a Return/RMA...well...that could give you some options...

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's just as likely that there's a short when the waterblock is installed as there being a GPU fault. That's the point of that next test.

I looked up your model but am having a hard time finding reviews that mention putting this model underwater. For sanity's sake, it would be nice to see proof that it has been done. I'm not sure if waterblock manufacturers just test PCB fit when put together their compatibility lists or if they actually fully install it and boot the system...

yea later today or tomorrow ill pull the card out unplug the small internal connectors and see if it boots, ill know straight away if it works, soon as waterblock is on I don't even get post screen up I just get white vga light on motherboard. if it passes that ill know it boot most likely.

I have feeling most waterblocks manufacturers get the pcb design make a block say its compatible as long as screws and stuff line up and don't actually test and boot systems,

I know when I looked at ek waterblock compatability for the card most of them says visual.

but ill try disconnecting first see what happens :)

thanks a lot for the help

hi all,

sorry been couple days to nice weather in uk not to enjoy it haha ..

so I took the stock fan off and disconnected it put it back in the pc and it boots without any issues in to window then I switch it off, tried waterblock nothing, so if certainly must be the waterblock causing this but not sure where. only other option I got is to purchase a different waterblock see if it work and if it does then corsair maybe not suitable for the card even though there website says it is . unless anyone else has suggestion,

I emails corsair directly 2 weeks ago but still waiting on a reply.

thanks

Please let me know what the resolution is. I have the same Asus Geforce RTX 2070 Super Turbo and Corsair XG7 waterblock. I tested the gpu on the bench with the stock cooler and worked fine. Then I swapped it out for the XG7 and the computer wont see the card at all. In the BIOS it shows the pcie slot as being empty. Today I removed the XG7 and reinstalled the stock blower. When I tested it in the system it worked just fine with no issues. Not sure how to fix this.

Please let me know what the resolution is. I have the same Asus Geforce RTX 2070 Super Turbo and Corsair XG7 waterblock. I tested the gpu on the bench with the stock cooler and worked fine. Then I swapped it out for the XG7 and the computer wont see the card at all. In the BIOS it shows the pcie slot as being empty. Today I removed the XG7 and reinstalled the stock blower. When I tested it in the system it worked just fine with no issues. Not sure how to fix this.

Hi

I will let you know the outcome, I have sent pictures to corsair hydro x team and is just awaiting a reply, I installed the block back on there today to take the pictures but still wont post.

thanks a lot Corsair GregX for the quick response and reply from the hydro x team very grateful for that :)

thanks

this is reply from corsair if anyone else has this issue

. (Corsair)

Jun 8, 2020, 5:29:29 AM PDT

Thank you for your patience.

Please accept my apologies for the late reply. I had to contact our engineering team for advice and was waiting for their reply.

We are really sorry to inform you, that ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Evo graphic card is not compatible with XG7 water block due to some components differing from the Founders Edition graphic cards. Thus, ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Evo graphic card has already been removed from the Hydro X compatibility list.

Please contact your retailer for the refund. If your retailer does not provide assistance, please attach a copy of your invoice, and we will help you out.

I am really sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I have a Asus Turbo 2080 super 8g evo. And have exact same problem.

What is the actual problem? Is the block not squeezing the GPU tight enough?

I ordered from overseas and fitted to the loop, don't really want to try return it.

Please describe the problem and see if I can alter it slightly to fit.

Thanks,

Alex