Corsair Community

FYI iCUE and Ryzen 3000

Sacco Belmonte

Well, he's not entirely wrong, Icue is upping the voltage of the 3000 series, I have a 3700x and with Icue off it shows a much lower voltage than with Icue on,

Currently, Voltage with Icue off is sitting on between 1.0v - 1.4v, With Icue on, Voltage is locked on 1.480

Icue is monitoring your system which is not needed in my case, I only have a STRAFE RGB keyboard and that's it, I would love to know if you can detach the monitoring service from Icue

1281541000_VoltagewhileIcueisoff.jpg.798294ef316db20ca6f72a3ca04f554a.jpg

895783249_VoltagewhileIcueison.jpg.c2b67a16843973b3b5ea6ad43c3b1435.jpg

I recently upgraded to 3800x and I believe this article explains what is happening.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

In short the CPU is acting normally and boosting in response to activity. If you bought a 3000 series processor you got yourself a high performance processor and it's boosting to give you that performance when called upon.

Maybe the boost is too sensitive or maybe some apps are aggressive in some way using the CPU, but I think vendors and consumers are trying to figure that out in response to these newly observed behaviors, and what the balance should be given the perception that something is wrong. I think these CPU's behave much differently than anyone expected.

On the face value it seems iCue is somewhat aggressive and a user may appear to see continuous voltage and boost when in reality it's jumping up and down so fast between cores that it appears constant but it's not. One thing that cannot respond as quickly is thermals. It takes time to dissipate the heat.

It would be nice to be able to tweak iCue for a lower CPU footprint (greater efficiency) if possible and disable monitoring when not necessary.

Edited by A Computer Guy

Installed my 3900X using Liquid metal. (h115 i Pro with 4 fans)

I'm getting a slightly higher idle temp compared to my 1800X with NTH1 but nothing to worry about. Max spike is around 50c and lowest idle (hot summer day) is 40c

Max temp under load (CB20) 78c

All this while running at stock.

Nothing in iCUE is working differently. No hiccups or lost connections. All animations working normally.

Edited by Sacco Belmonte

OC'd my 3900X by CCX

This, or any other form of fixed freq OC will result in a very smooth operation with iCUE, iCUE will not show spikes anymore. My idle temps are now 38-40 with occasional 50c spikes. Just as normal as it gets.

Running Zen at stock is a disaster, the scores are real bad (despite how good they look against the competition) and the temps are atrocious because the BIOSes are overvolting the chip too much by default.

With this CPU and this OC. Corsair service uses less than 1% CPU 80% of the time.

OC'd my 3900X by CCX

This, or any other form of fixed freq OC will result in a very smooth operation with iCUE, iCUE will not show spikes anymore. My idle temps are now 38-40 with occasional 50c spikes. Just as normal as it gets.

Running Zen at stock is a disaster, the scores are real bad (despite how good they look against the competition) and the temps are atrocious because the BIOSes are overvolting the chip too much by default.

With this CPU and this OC. Corsair service uses less than 1% CPU 80% of the time.

This is interesting thanks for this info!

I can reproduce the same problem with the old LINK software, with it open voltage is stuck to 1.45, as soon as I close LINK voltage drops to 1.2 and changes between 1.1 to 1.5 depending on the load, as it is supposed to do.

AMD released an updated chipset driver today that was supposed to address the issue of high idle voltages due to utilities monitoring the hardware. I used to have a problem with iCUE, Discord, and Steam all causing this issue. Discord and Steam no longer cause this issue, but iCUE still does. In order to get sub 1v during idle I have to uninstall iCUE. Otherwise it's locked at 1.45v almost all the time.

Would be really nice if Corsair would put their 2-cents in on this issue.

AMD released an updated chipset driver today that was supposed to address the issue of high idle voltages due to utilities monitoring the hardware. I used to have a problem with iCUE, Discord, and Steam all causing this issue. Discord and Steam no longer cause this issue, but iCUE still does. In order to get sub 1v during idle I have to uninstall iCUE. Otherwise it's locked at 1.45v almost all the time.

Would be really nice if Corsair would put their 2-cents in on this issue.

I wish they would sort it out also, however there is a temp fix that will let you keep iCue running (kinda) but fix the voltage spiking and pegging and 1.4+

Step 1: Hit Windows+R (bring up run)

Step 2: Locate "Corsair Service"

Step 3: Right click "Corsair Service", click properties.

Step 4: Hit "STOP"

Step 5: Select "Disabled" from the "startup type" dropdown.

Step 6: Hit apply

Now check voltages they should now drop down low again :) The solution is crap, it stops some functionality from iCue (My ram vanished for me so could not control its RGB), but at least the CPU isnt pegged at 1.45v.

BTW for the new chipset driver, make sure to uninstall the old chipset driver first. Then see if the Ryzen power plan has gone. If so then install them, if not delete the ryzen power plan's then install the chipset drivers. make sure after drivers are installed the Ryzen balanced plan is selected.

Why corsair can't come out with this info as a temp fix i don't know! Right now its on them, other software even NZXT's CAM that is notoriously bad was fixed.

I wish they would sort it out also, however there is a temp fix that will let you keep iCue running (kinda) but fix the voltage spiking and pegging and 1.4+

Step 1: Hit Windows+R (bring up run)

Step 2: Locate "Corsair Service"

Step 3: Right click "Corsair Service", click properties.

Step 4: Hit "STOP"

Step 5: Select "Disabled" from the "startup type" dropdown.

Step 6: Hit apply

Now check voltages they should now drop down low again :) The solution is crap, it stops some functionality from iCue (My ram vanished for me so could not control its RGB), but at least the CPU isnt pegged at 1.45v.

BTW for the new chipset driver, make sure to uninstall the old chipset driver first. Then see if the Ryzen power plan has gone. If so then install them, if not delete the ryzen power plan's then install the chipset drivers. make sure after drivers are installed the Ryzen balanced plan is selected.

Why corsair can't come out with this info as a temp fix i don't know! Right now its on them, other software even NZXT's CAM that is notoriously bad was fixed.

This is awesome!

Thanks for the information. I am probably just going to do a fresh install of Windows again. This will be my 3rd fresh install since getting the 3900X a couple of weeks ago. I just don't want any residual registry settings or files lingering in my system from all the tweaking and fiddling I've done trying to sort this issue out.

I do have Corsair RGB RAM too, but Gigabyte's RGB 2.0 can manage it for me so that's ok.

Thanks again for the tip. I'll try it out.

I don't think the problem is iCUE at all.

Look, this is me playing CEMU with a gazillion background apps running, including iCUE and OBS.

The temperatures are really good. My idle temps are 37c/46c with all thos apps running.

The only difference is that I'm running a fixed OC, so the system is not all crazy boosting aimlessly.

I think AMD has to work on their boosting algo, which sucks right now.

[ame]

[/ame]

I don't think the problem is iCUE at all.

Look, this is me playing CEMU with a gazillion background apps running, including iCUE and OBS.

The temperatures are really good. My idle temps are 37c/46c with all thos apps running.

The only difference is that I'm running a fixed OC, so the system is not all crazy boosting aimlessly.

I think AMD has to work on their boosting algo, which sucks right now.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2019/07/30/community-update-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2

You running a fixed OC means you dont have CPU Voltage on "Auto" like most of us do and have it set to a specific voltage. Hence why its not locked at a constant 1.4+

I have a 3900X running on a Asus X470 Crosshair board with the latest BIOS and chipset.

I have stopped all process and left ICUE as the last one. And wouldn't you know it, as soon as i killed ICUE. My voltages dropped and the CPU properly idled.

I truly do belive ICUE is causing the voltages to lock.

I might be wrong but I believe is the other way around. AMD didn't test these CPUs other than with totally empty windows installations it seems. Totally missing the fact you need to fine tune your algos to account for that.

Time will tell. All I know is AMD's boosting algo is so far a big mess (hence a fixed OC runs way better) and reddit is basically on fire.

Edited by Sacco Belmonte

I might be wrong but I believe is the other way around. AMD didn't test these CPUs other than with totally empty windows installations it seems. Totally missing the fact you need to fine tune your algos to account for that.

Time will tell. All I know is AMD's boosting algo is so far a big mess (hence a fixed OC runs way better) and reddit is basically on fire.

Could you provide any insight into how you setup your OC in your BIOS? Settings, etc?

I jumped from Intel i7 4790K to a Ryzen 9 3900X. Either I lost the silicon lottery with my 4790K or my motherboard before was garbage, because I couldn't OC that system at all beyond stock without crashes. I have been out of the OC game for quite a while and this is a whole new platform for me, so I have no idea where to begin with this on my new X570/3900X system.

I've seen my 3900X auto-boost to 4.5Ghz a few times on several cores, so I'm hoping my chip is actually half decent in that regard. Hearing stories of people who can't even achieve 4.4Ghz on a single core. I regularly see my cores boost to 4.35-4.4GHz with the current BIOS / chipset / power plan offered by AMD. It's just the idle voltages I hate seeing so high because I know it's just causing higher temps as a result.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Edited by CanuckBrian

It depends, I need to know which board you have so I can know it's VRM.

I have a X470 Taichi, whichi has a pretty good VRM and a lot of chokes and caps. They are all important in order to make decisions down the line.

Also depends on your cooler. Here I have a h115i Pro with 4 fans in push / pull.

If you meet those requirements.

1) Set a temporary OC in the BIOS to:

CPU freq: 4300Mhz

CPU Volt: 1.32V (do NOT use more, that is the max recommended so far)

Load Line calibration level 3 (Do NOT use anything higher, is dangerous and long to explain)

2) Boot, then use Ryzen Master to do a per CCX OC.

- Go to "Profile 1" and click on "Manual"

- Set your per CCX CPU frequencies as in the image. You can straight try them and if the system black screens during CB20 you can lower the clocks a bit on the second CCX first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36265&stc=1&d=1564677526

The other way to try is to have them all at 4.3Ghz first and raise the freq one CCX at a time and test with CB20 to find their individual higher freqs.

Note you should not include Vcore in your profile when you apply. I've seen Ryzen master setting the wrong vcore. For instance I set 1.26V and I get 1.32V. That's the reason you set an initial 4.3Ghz OC in the BIOS.

As you check stability with CB20 keep HWInfo open and look for CPU temp and vcore level. Your vcore should go down under a CB20 multitheread test to around 1.26V which is normal and expected under LLC3. It also depends from board to board.

If you still feel uncomfortable around 1.32V vcore you can set it to 1.3V and see how high your CCX would go.

Expect temps under CB20 on the mid/high 80s. Here I'm on the low 80s because I'm using liquid metal. Stock temps are right now worse than OC'd (in my experience)

Good luck!

Again, some NO NO's:

Do not use higher than 1.32V vcore. Despite if someone tells you 1.35V is fine, is not.

Do no use high level LLC such as 4, 5 on ASUS or 1, 2 on ASRock. They are BAD, spikes can kill a CPU and will degrade it over time, especially when transitions occur right after a voltage that is close to the max recommended 1.32V

About max recommended, so far that's the one we know for sure. It might be that we get an official statement at some point and the value is different, lower or higher. For now stick to 1.32V or less.

2019-08-01_18-31-53.jpg.6705285af48c376efcbd0ae1435ecf22.jpg

Edited by Sacco Belmonte

Thanks for the info.

My system specs are in the dropdown by my name on the message boards here. But if you can't see that for some reason then it's the following:

• Ryzen 9 3900X

• Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master

• 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz CL18

I'm using custom EK open loop water cooling with a 240mm Coolstream PE radiator.

Motherboard has a true 14-phase VRM (no doublers), and the cooling solution should be more than sufficient.