Corsair Community

H100i RGB PLATINUM SE which thermal PASTE?

Johnny87au

Maybe 1-2C. Check out independent TIM reviews. I have been using that one for several years, but I am beginning to think it is overpriced with no measurable advantage over competitors. Your call, but no problem in cleaning and applying what you normally use. I always do this for comparison purposes anyway.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut should give you the difference you are looking for. I'm using it with my H115i RGB Platinum myself. Every little temperature drop on that inherently hot 9900K is helpful, especially when you're overclocking/volting.

Well i've been reading about delidding the 9900k but apparently intel uses a special solder material which needs to be heated and not just glue ? I know using liquid metal on the actual die underneath the IHS will reduce temps by up to 10+ C which is huge for the 9900k...

I have not delided any of the 8700/9900K models. Sorry. I would definitely use liquid metal on the re-attachment after the delid. I would not use it on cold plate of the AIO for normal TIM coverage. Most liquid metals will strip the metal or discolor in a very short amount of time. I am not saying it is harmful to the cooler, but be aware and make an informed choice. Even on my bigger TDP CPUs, a 2C improvement was not worth scarring the cold plate.

I have not delided any of the 8700/9900K models. Sorry. I would definitely use liquid metal on the re-attachment after the delid. I would not use it on cold plate of the AIO for normal TIM coverage. Most liquid metals will strip the metal or discolor in a very short amount of time. I am not saying it is harmful to the cooler, but be aware and make an informed choice. Even on my bigger TDP CPUs, a 2C improvement was not worth scarring the cold plate.

Yeah if I was to delid man I'd use liquid metal on the actual direct die itself. But for the IHS and aio cooler I'd just use the kyronaut. I think I'll just use the kyronaut for now and see if I can get a 1-2c decrease which is what I'm after :)

Well i've been reading about delidding the 9900k but apparently intel uses a special solder material which needs to be heated and not just glue ? I know using liquid metal on the actual die underneath the IHS will reduce temps by up to 10+ C which is huge for the 9900k...
Don't expect as much of a difference as there was on older CPUs for the 9900K with just Liquid Metal replacing the stock solder. The stock solder works quite a bit better than the TIM used on older chips. On some 9900K chips it might even be worse with the Liquid metal instead of the solder. If you sand the die down a bit, you might get better results, but the question is if you want to go there as it's rather risky.

Don't expect as much of a difference as there was on older CPUs for the 9900K with just Liquid Metal replacing the stock solder. The stock solder works quite a bit better than the TIM used on older chips. On some 9900K chips it might even be worse with the Liquid metal instead of the solder. If you sand the die down a bit, you might get better results, but the question is if you want to go there as it's rather risky.

You think sanding down the chip and just using kyronaut on the cooler will help by say 2-4c without delidding it ?

You think sanding down the chip and just using kyronaut on the cooler will help by say 2-4c without delidding it ?

:D:Sanding down the actual IHS without taking it apart, is what I mean

Sanding down the IHS or the bottom of the cooler will only really help if one or both of them aren't flat (some CPUs aren't) so you have a better contact area and maybe require less thermal paste to be efficient. That said, it probably won't make much of a difference either and probably void the warranty. I'd just try to use a thin layer of Kryonaut on the IHS and see how it goes before trying anything drastical.

To clarify, what I meant in my previous post was sanding down the actual die underneath the IHS on a delidded CPU, since that's apparently thicker than that of previous CPUs and helps with thermals more than simply replacing the solder, at least according to various people that have done it. One has to be careful not to sand it down too much, though, otherwise you might damage the die. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk, but it's anyone's choice.

Edited by Glzmo