Corsair Community

XG7 GPU Water Block Design Flaw

dsbello

Issue:

If the tubing is applying a bit too much force on the manifold (where the ports are at) a leak might develop. Other GPU blocks in the market use 3 screws to hold the manifold whereas the XG7 uses only 2.

Workarounds:

*Try to tighten the screws, they may still be loose.

*Limit unnecessary weight on ports

Reddit Thread:

Youtube Video:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Leak can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/WNQpa2rAbzU?t=210

Youtube Video (LinusTechTips had the same leak):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQMCvQ01e80&feature=youtu.be&t=704

Linus tightened the screws

https://youtu.be/wQMCvQ01e80?t=842

Yawb0oa.jpg

Edited by dsbello

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Watercool gpu blocks only have 2 screws and they don't leak. I would really check for a damaged O ring first possibly a sharp edge etc. Just because it has only 2 screws does not mean that it will leak.

The leak is occurring at middle of the manifold midway between the two inlets/outlets t the top of the block proper so I doubt the O-rings play a part. I saw a video of this the other day and I believe the problem comes from tubes pulling downward when the card/block is traditionally mounted in a case. Vertical mounting (or mounting in a test bench) doesn't seem to invite the problem described in the video.

Additionally, if you over-tighten the 2 screws, you end up bowing the manifold in the middle and thus greatly increase the risk of a leak. I use EK blocks and they have 3 screws holding down the manifold which is the case for a number of other manufacturers.

Edited by BlaiseP

This whole thread seems a little "click bait" ish....

More accurately than "XG7 GPU LEAKS..!!!"

I think you could say " XG7 GPU can be broken if installed wrong"

I wouldn't say its delicate but it can be broken pretty easily

all that said - it doesn't leak when installed properly and in working order

Edited by QuaZar-Kid

I think I might tend to agree here. I now a guy using soft tubing and he has not had a single problem with this. So I agree, installing it wrong will cause a leak. More fear mongering as far as I am concerned. Heck the guy in the video might be paid buy EK to try and discredit Corsair. I think this is probably an extreme thought, but ya never know in todays world. But most certainly installing it wrong is going to break it. That's just kind of a duhh thing.

This whole thread seems a little "click bait" ish....

More accurately than "XG7 GPU LEAKS..!!!"

I think you could say " XG7 GPU can be broken if installed wrong"

I wouldn't say its delicate but it can be broken pretty easily

all that said - it doesn't leak when installed properly and in working order

• 1 month later...
But the guy in the video is using soft tubing.. Doesn't look like it's installed incorrectly to me. If it's so delicate that putting the typical amount of tension on it that is inherent in running hard tubing that it causes it to leak, then it's definitely a design flaw. The Corsair stuff has decent materials being used, but not where it counts.

• 1 month later...

Fake News... watch him Flexing it from 3.30 on wards. he wanted it to leak.. he made it leak.. EK is his God now!

and for the benefit for those quoting away from this forum.. i am NOT a corsair employee!

Edited by Zotty

Regardless whether it's forced or not, it looks like a weakpoint nevertheless. And since reports have been coming in from different people before that video as it seems in this thread, it should definately be a concern. Corsair equals quality and imho that means if there's a potential flaw then they should at least look into it and not shrug it off as "dude is shilling EK".

just my 2 cents

“Whether it’s forced or not”?? PSA: if you pick up your entire case by the tubes, it may place undue stress on the water cooling system. This is in the category of things you should not do. What physical pieces of your PC respond well to flex testing? The GPU circuit board? SSDs? Anything? Don’t grab stuff in your case and try to bend it. Bad.

As far as I’m aware, this is the only guy with the problem. I haven’t seen any one else in here actually have this happen and presumably most users follow the above the suggestion of not randomly grabbing onto the edge of their block and trying to separate the terminal from the main block. I don’t know if this guy is legitimate or not, but he spends the first half of the video complaining Corsair sent him a new gpu block and about where they shipped it from. Can you imagine if they had taken the original and driven a plastic spike down the middle and mailed it back? Now that would be video worthy.

looks

that's all most have will have done is look at that video and decided... its instantly created sales for EK.

i have several of these blocks my self.. and indeed have witnessed a lot of people fit them through Discord/Here/Reddit/Facebook.. gotta be honest. not seen a single one leak.

Bottom line.

Force anything with a seal enough and it will leak.

shame y'all are feeding that channel with views now...

here's a theory

his original leak was caused by him flexing it while fitting the 3d printed tube supports he has around his soft tubing. i am calling user error all the way.. and he knows it. hence he fails so miserably at hiding how hard he is forcing that block as he unboxes it.. my thumb doesnt bend that far!. and then when it doesnt leak he picks it up while running and flexes it again.. clearly.. in front of your eyes lol. if you can't see that you must be blind.

and this whole thread is scripted by said youtuber.. Pawns in his game of views we are

and still not a Corsair Employee

Edited by Zotty

HI.

Since my video card is not compatible with hydro x, but if it was appropriate I would prefer corsair hyrdo x again.

but if you look at it objectively it should have been 3 screws.

Compared to its competitors, it is very affordable and you don't have to buy a back cover for a gpu block for example at an extra cost.

that's all most have will have done is look at that video and decided... its instantly created sales for EK.

i have several of these blocks my self.. and indeed have witnessed a lot of people fit them through Discord/Here/Reddit/Facebook.. gotta be honest. not seen a single one leak.

Bottom line.

Force anything with a seal enough and it will leak.

shame y'all are feeding that channel with views now...

here's a theory

his original leak was caused by him flexing it while fitting the 3d printed tube supports he has around his soft tubing. i am calling user error all the way.. and he knows it. hence he fails so miserably at hiding how hard he is forcing that block as he unboxes it.. my thumb doesnt bend that far!. and then when it doesnt leak he picks it up while running and flexes it again.. clearly.. in front of your eyes lol. if you can't see that you must be blind.

and this whole thread is scripted by said youtuber.. Pawns in his game of views we are

you sound very cranky and there is real no reason for it. Hes showing a design flaw so it can be fixed in the future.

JayZTwoCents just posted a video regarding this today:

[ame]

[/ame]

Hes showing a design flaw so it can be fixed in the future.

JayZTwoCents just posted a video regarding this today:

No, that is absolutely not what the first guy is doing. Jay's approach is more thorough, has some basic scientific merit to it, and his intent is clear.

You can have separate conversation as to whether the phrase "design flaw" means "something is breakable", "not idiot-proof", or "happens with normal use". Thus far the only people seeing this have done it deliberately and those most concerned don't seem to actually have the product in question.

@Zotty & c-attack

I understand your standpoint and absolutely agree it's not gods miracle that something breaks that has force applied to where it shouldn't and I'm not shilling for this dude at all I can assure you.

But people are stupid and will handle stuff exactly the way the creator has not intented. It would be in Corsair's intent too to take look at that connection in order to prevent more RMA's and bad pucblicity from the youtube influencer gang wouldn't it?

No, that is absolutely not what the first guy is doing. Jay's approach is more thorough, has some basic scientific merit to it, and his intent is clear.

You can have separate conversation as to whether the phrase "design flaw" means "something is breakable", "not idiot-proof", or "happens with normal use". Thus far the only people seeing this have done it deliberately and those most concerned don't seem to actually have the product in question.

Major Hardware actually started the whole leak investigation because he found his XG7 leaking in his rig.. just sitting there.

It's true for 99.9% of people it will work okay, but nonetheless it's a slightly flimsy design, just because the manifold is not stiff enough to work perfectly with just two screws.

Because it's molded, they can't make it thick because of deformations when the plastic cools (the constant thickness rule), so it would require 3 screws to deal with the inherent flex of a thin plastic piece.

They did not point at a scandal or a monstruous hidden flaw.. it's a weak point of this block, and unless people point at it, it won't be resolved.

In the PC enthusiast world, "Good enough" is not enough :) at least not at this price point. I would be very reluctant about installing a potentially leaky block on a 1200$ card. It has to be sturdy, and work, no matter what.

just sitting there.

Wrong... he forced all the 3d printed stuff onto his tubing, he even said it was tight in the original video. this was all user error imho

scandal

the Scandal is him clearly flexing that joint with his thumb at 3 mins 30 seconds.. so much so his thumb and knuckle go white.. and when it didnt leak while running he then went and picked it up by the fittings and flexed it some more. if you can't see that you are blind. he set it up to leak,, he wanted it to leak.. he made it leak.. and he didnt make it happen easy.

to add...

what sort of 'major' review channel claims they dont know a major player has an RMA system in place?. was scripted to dramatise it.. was titled as click bait.. was driven by his need for more subs/views., no more no less

Edited by Zotty

you sound very cranky

lol.. not cranky,,, just factual.. got several of these my self.. no leaks.. i run a very busy Discord server that has seen many of these fitted by totally new builders.. no leaks.. i daily surf these forums and reddit and several facebook building groups offering help. no leaks... sorry dude.. can only say what i see..

don't get me wrong.. i am not saying that it shouldnt be looked at.. or indeed made stronger.. what i am saying is. in this case.. the user caused this and for nothing more than subs/views and has made it look like this will happen to anyone who stands in the same room as one lol

everyone is feeding his deception by giving him views now.. mission achieved

Edited by Zotty

Just watched Jayz' video and have to agree with Zotty.

The way Major Hardware handled the issue on his video was exaggerated and not a "review of a potential problem"

I'm not smart enough to understand 4D marketing chess and I don't really care because I refuse to be a shill for anyone.

But I share LeDoyen's opinion on this. I'm using 90% Corsair hardware because I like the quality, the looks, the feel. It's a premium product, regardlass of what we're talking about. But at the same time I'm using products from EK, Alphacool and Bitspower because they cater best for my requirements where Corsair can't.

But by Corsair putting out premium products at a premium price, it's all more important to handle such claims from anyone with a large audience. And improving your product can't be a bad thing in any scenario.

Tbh I'd still buy the Corsair block if it was compatible with by GPU.

And that’s fair and there is nothing wrong with suggesting improvements or expressing desire for specific changes. That’s half the point of the forum. This was Corsair’s first block. You always make improvements going forward.

However, as I scan around other sites and see who keeps posting this stuff, it’s not someone who has the block and is concerned. It’s not someone considering a purchase and asking relevant questions. It’s someone who appears to have no custom water cooling parts at all and leaves the link with no comment or some rehash of the sensationalist title. Some people are just like that and boredom is surely at an all time high right now.

I think the key take away is don’t bend your water cooling gear. Don’t bend your gpu. Don’t bend your cpu socket pins. Most electronics are like this. Or did they ever finish that “flexi-phone”?

Or did they ever finish that “flexi-phone”?

I'll just leave this here :laughing:

flexi phone

but yeah, you're right. Yet still, as I mentioned before - people are stupid and make stupid things they are not supposed to. But if the stupidity leads to some sort improvement, it's not that bad of a thing is it?