Corsair Community

Odd fan speeds

ste_p0270

Hi All,

Just upgraded my pc and now have an issue with the Case fans spinning quicker and with an odd pulse..

Hardware:-

Corsair 465X Case

Ryzen 3600X CPU

Radeon RX5700XT GPU

Asus B450M-K Mobo

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM

1TB NvME

Corsair Commander Pro / RGB Hub

H100i Platinum AIO

Basically I have swapped out a A320M-K Mobo and Ryzen 2600 CPU for the 450 / 3600X combo.

Prior to my upgrade, the case fans connected to the Commander Pro would run at around 800rpm when not under any load, set as "quiet".

Now for some reason, they idle at around 1000rpm then pulse at around 1400rpm

The fans are set to "quiet" in iCue software but seem to be running at the speed you would expect to see when the "balanced" option is selected.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The default Quiet/Balanced/Extreme presets on the Commander Pro are based on CPU temperature. This is not an ideal choice by any means, but it is the only thing every PC system is guaranteed to have. As a result, small changes in CPU behavior can be very noticeable. Nobody needs their case fans to ramp up because they are playing music in the background and 1-2 cores are working on iTunes. This is especially true for the last round of AMD and Intel CPUs that react strongly to any work demand. No correlation between CPU temp and case fan function, so it doesn't help there either. The exception might be if you are running a air tower pair of fans from the C-Pro, but that is the one job most motherboard CPU fan headers can do better.

As mentioned above, the best thing you can do is get on your own designed curves as soon as possible. It's better control and likely more user friendly. The immediate quick change solutions are to use GPU temp for people that often run mixed load types like gaming and renders or you can use coolant temperature (H1xx Temp) for those using Corsair AIO coolers.

The most efficient control variable will be the temp probes or any other 10K thermistor connected to the C-Pro's 4 slots. Case fans help regulate case ambient temperature, so this is the natural fit. Where you stick those is up to you, but most people can get by with two -- one at the rear exhaust and one at the front intake. This essentially gives you in/out air temp. The trickier part is figuring out your normal temperature range so you can make an appropriate curve. That does take more time to learn, but ultimately may be more useful for some users.

Hi c-attack,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I have set the case fans to a less harsh ramp up based on the temp of the H100i. This seems to have had the desired effect.

I do have the temp sensors that came with the C-Pro, connecting them to the C-Pro is easy enough, but where would I attach on to the H100i? Do they physically go between the CPU and H100i copper plate?

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

Hi c-attack,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I have set the case fans to a less harsh ramp up based on the temp of the H100i. This seems to have had the desired effect.

I do have the temp sensors that came with the C-Pro, connecting them to the C-Pro is easy enough, but where would I attach on to the H100i? Do they physically go between the CPU and H100i copper plate?

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

Usually it's a good idea to put those sensors in strategic points of the case.

Air intake zone, air output zone, CPU and VGA zones.

I've written "zones" as it's obviously quite impossible to put them between the CPU and the AIO (for example), as they could even degradate performances.

Baio

Edited by Baio

As suggested above, you don't want contact between the sensor end and anything else. It measures air temp. If you make contact with something conductive, you usually get garbage values back.

Depending on how you orientated the case relative your viewing angle, you could run one out the back and tape it to the rear exhaust. If the H100i Plat is on the front, you could also run the "exhaust wire" up the top rear fan. Really makes no difference for the sensor, so take the best wiring choice. If the H100i Plat is on the front, you could tape it behind the radiator, although you will already know your radiator exhaust temp. It will be essentially the same as the coolant temp or H100i Temp. You might put it behind or in front of the single exposed fan or in front of the radiator to get actual intake air temp. Again, go with the best and cleanest wiring option. This one is going to be a data point rather than a control point.