Corsair Community

Scimitar side buttons not working

I had the same problem with my side buttons not working after a windows update. (windows 10). So i tried to repair as this thread suggested. I must say your CUE

is a disgustingly unsafe piece of software, as it seems to be doing stuff in the kernel it shouldn't be doing?

Here's the trouble: When repairing, in the final stages it kills Windows Audio and Windows Audio End Point Builder. And I mean KILL. I cannot restart them nor trigger them to start on their own by restarting/turning off the computer. So the repair got the side buttons working, but killed ALL audio.

I ended up having to do a system roll back, and my audio came back but now the side buttons wasn't working again. I repaired the CUE once more, this time with the CUE being open, and that did nothing, didn't kill the audio, didn't fix the side buttons. Just to be sure it was the CUE repair that killed my audio, I ran the repair again with CUE properly closed, and surely, at the second last step of the repair sequence, all windows audio was killed. So now I have a to do a roll back again, only to get a mouse that doesn't give the functionality I bought it for.....

This SHOULD NOT happen.

This is still happening in as of March 2018. What a horrible piece of software. I really regret buying Corsair :(

Guys i fixed it! i went into corsair utility engine and went to global settings, selected my mouse and installed the latest software. it said i had the latest version of it already installed it so i force installed it and now my mouse works fine. make sure to restart your computer after you install it. i hope this works for you! Edited by Diseam

I just got a new Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB through RMA because I had a different issue (mouse detected doubleclicks sometimes on single clicks), and this new one has four side buttons which do not register at all. I've tried clean installing everything related to the mouse but I just can't figure this out.

Guys i fixed it! i went into corsair utility engine and went to global settings, selected my mouse and installed the latest software. it said i had the latest version of it already installed it so i force installed it and now my mouse works fine. make sure to restart your computer after you install it. i hope this works for you!
i found out it only fixes it temporarily. you have to do this process every time the mouse glitches and it will work for a little while. (if anyone could send me a link with another mouse that has 12 side buttons ill probably sell mine)[Corsair, i like the mouse so please fix it!]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. I bought this mouse refurbished from Newegg. The side buttons worked great for about 1.5 months.

What I tried:

1) Update firmware...CUE said it was current (didn't update)

2) Repair CUE software...side buttons didn't work (either before or after reboot)

3) Update CUE software...side buttons didn't work (either before or after reboot)

What I did to make it work after reading this thread (probably temporarily):

1) Delete the "Corsair composite virtual input device"

2) Clicked "Scan for hardware changes"

Once these two steps were completed, I was able to open up notepad and use my side button macros. No telling how long this fix will work, but at least it's easy and doesn't require reinstalling/repairing things that break the audio.

1) My hardware is updated in my profile

2) The mouse is plugged into the powered USB 2.0 plugs on the far left of my my motherboard (when looking at the back)

The answers to your support questions:

1) Windows 10 64bit version 1803 (OS Build 17134.5) ...this is insider's build so it's a bit ahead

2) CUE v2.24.50

3) Firmware version v2.04

4) Yes...I have a "Corsair composite virtual input device" listed under Human Interface Devices

This is still happening in as of March 2018. What a horrible piece of software. I really regret buying Corsair :(

5th of may........still the same stuff. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a response from corsair on how to fix this. This mouse wasn't exactly cheap. so dissapointed. won't be buying from them again.

• 2 weeks later...
I found a solution! All you have to do is go to add or remove programs on windows, and click modify, then repair. Im not sure how long this fixes it for, but my buttons started working as soon as i did this

• 1 month later...

I was having the same issue with a WoW profile I created but I found an easy solution that appears to work. How long it will work for I don't know.

All I had to do to get it working was go back in to iCue go the the Actions list of the profile and click in to each action.

The buttons then worked straight away. I am guessing this is likely because they have been re-saved.

• 1 month later...
Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I've gone into the default profile, I went into actions for each of the "G" keys I assigned them to F13 ~ F24 yet nothing recognizes any of the actions , I've rebooted I've done everything I can think of. Why does the mouse not have a default configuration out of the gate for the "G" keys?

Most programs don't recognize F13-24, unfortunately. Your best bet is to assign them obscure combinations (ctrl+shift+y, etc), or something else unused in your program/game, and assign that same combination to the function in your program or game you want it to perform.

So very strangly i haven't had this issue since upgrading my motherboard and also since the latest version of iCue so i assume one of the two fixed it now all i gotta figure out is why sometimes the mouse is way too fast until i reboot and my scrollwheel randomly scrolling back up when scrolling down :beatchair

• 3 weeks later...

Just registered to say this appears to still be happening apparently randomly.

6/9/2018 - latest iCue and firmware.

Thanks to the suggestions in this thread, a repair of iCue has got the buttons working again.

Still hoping for a permanent fix from Corsair.

• 2 months later...
I get this on occasion with my Dark Core. I fix it my doing a repair install of iCUE. There are more than one driver installed for the mice, and the side buttons have their own device driver entry. If the side buttons stop working, it's because the driver isn't running.

I have contacted Corsair and the first 2 emails were shockingly generic. I know exactly what the problem is and it is easy to fix. I use a Logitech G25 also, setting isolation to off screws up the G25 but all buttons work as is.

Logitech rep said if it a driver issue then it will get done. Yeah right.

Here is my original post

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=182223

David.

Found this solution on youtube on how to get the back and forward button to work again on my Corsair Gaming GLAIVE RGB Mouse. Pretty simple

That posting above belongs to a different forum thread.

Meanwhile, I also have a Scimitar RGB mouse that is pretty much a $80 useless item since the side buttons don't work. Last year I tried to map the buttons to certain keys without success. Now I tell gamers to stay away from Corsair mice and go with Logitech.

Yeah it's pretty absurd that the buttons aren't natively programmed for the keys 1 through = since it's supposed to be an MMO mouse. The Razer Naga comes like that, but you can still remap any of the keys to perform any function the software allows... When is corsair going to get on board with this? I had to make all 12 actions on, STO, SWTOR, WOW, and it's ridiculous. The other issue I have is that iCue doesn't always pick up the application I'm running and stays at default. STO for example. I have the .exe setup, so it should change the profile as soon as I run STO but it doesn't. Then I have to reorganize my profiles putting STO at the top so it is accepted as the default each time I start a gaming session.

• 2 months later...
MY SOLUTION

When the side buttons stop working.

1. Close out of CUE

2. Start menu --> Device Manager --> Human interface Devices --> Uninstall Corsair Composite Virtual Input Device. DO NOT CHECK UNINSTALL SOFTWARE

3. Remove USB then reinsert USB

4. Start up CUE

5. Give it a couple seconds.

Thank you, this solved my issue for now...

Bought my Scimitar mouse in November and today when I turned the computer on, the side buttons suddenly didn't work. Tried rebooting the computer, unplug the mouse, plug it in in other USB ports and update iCUE with no success. Going into the device manager and uninstalling the virtual input device solved the issue.

Three year old issue which Corsair still hasn't addressed? I'll most definitely go back to Logitech when it's time to get a new mouse.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

(first sorry for my bad english)

after some chatting with Joseph from tech support I managed to solve the problem with my SCIMITAR PRO permanent.

Repairing the software up to 3 times after PC restart was my first solution as well. When starting iCue always an macro error showed up.

Then I recognized that my mouse firmware was 1.10 what is very old. But updating the firmware with iCue always led to iCue crashing.

Joseph told me to update the firmware manually.

1 - Please completely exit out of the Corsair Utility Engine Software

2 - Disconnect the device entirely from your system

3 - Using a paperclip, thumb tack, or thin object, please hold down on the reset button located underneath the device or under the top right weight on the M65 mice.

4 - As it is pressed down, please connect the device to a USB port, still holding the button under the device.

5 - A file explorer pop-up will be displayed showing drive name as CRP_DISABLED (Open it manually if it doesn't through file explorer)

6 - Transfer the bin file that was attached to this ticket over to the CRP_DISABLED drive. Please ensure you first delete the firmware bin file that is on the CRP_DISABLED drive.

7 - Once transferring is complete, disconnect the device, and then reconnect it normally.

Unfortunately I cannot attach the file here for your guys. For that you have to write the support by yourself.

But since I updated the firmware of the Scmitiar everything is working fine again :-)

Appreciation to Joseph from tech support for his patience and that last good hint. I'm happy again :-)

• 3 months later...

Posting here because the numeric buttons of my newly installed Corsair Scimitar PRO RGB mouse simply did not work.

I plugged in the new mouse, turned on my PC. Windows 10 detected the new mouse and automatically installed software for it.

On my part, I immediately followed the instruction manual of the Scimitar, downloaded iCUE (since AFAIKnew MMO mouse need software to run their buttons), installed it. Was surprised to find everything but the side buttons worked. Turn on my game (Guild Wars 2) and nothing from the side buttons. Notepad and other non-game programs registered nothing coming from the side buttons as well. Checked for updates, updated, but still nothing. Tried editing my iCUE profile/settings- still nothing. Tried remapping my keys on iCUE- nothing.

I restarted my PC wondering if that was what it needed. In the few moment immediately after logging onto my Windows 10 profile, I quickly turned on Notepad and the number keys did work- but soon didn't. That was around the time I knew my other startup programs turned on. That gave me an idea...

I turned off iCUE. Went to the lower right of my screen, shut it down. And thus the number side keys did work. Notepad, my MMO, also Overwatch- it was fine.

So it seems that iCUE is the problem while Windows 10 can simply dig up the software/driver needed to run my Scimitar mouse without it?

I checked my PC's Devices and Printers in its Control Panel and my mouse is fully listed there; not "mouse" or a similar generic term but a complete "Corsair Gaming Scimitar PRO RGB Gaming Mouse".

I then uninstalled iCUE and restarted my PC. As I'm typing this, the mouse seems to be working just fine without it.

Full disclosure: I'm not at all versed with the finer, higher parts of computer operation. I don't know how to edit the registry, I don't know the finer points of tweaking my OS's settings, I don't even know how to fine tune the graphics settings in my game. I'm a pretty simple guy who likes simple set-ups. I understand that without iCUE, I can't set up anything more complex or even control the LED lighting of the mouse. However, that's fine because I never really did that anyway with my previous mice. Simply having the 1, 2, 3, to 0, -, = of the side buttons is enough for me.

Whatever the case, I hope this helps, whether other Scimitar users who're content with at least the basics of the mouse working or Corsair itself fix the problem.

I will continue to monitor my Scimitar's behavior and will repost here if it stops working or similar.

Edited by Messenger