View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 07:04 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967277
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

As mentioned above, you can't have idle core temps lower than the coolant temp, which in turn can't be lower than your case (room) temperature. The case is always going to be warmer than the room. It's a small box with a bunch of metal pieces with current running through them. Tends to be warmer in there. More seriously, having a coolant temp of only 32C (the value on the right side of the pump) is pretty good for your room temp and suggests your case is not overly adding to your temperatures.

As for the front panel, it is not likely heat is being trapped in front since it won't pick it up until the exhaust side. This can be more of an issue when the radiator/fans are positioned for exhaust. Any difference in coolant temperature will be down to airflow and it is near certain the front panel poses more of a restriction than the open air environment. Does it matter? Probably not. Don't compare CPU temps with it on. 8700K is is far to dynamic and the OS and its own instructions extremely variable. Compare the coolant temp with and without the front panel to the room temp. (On- room temp 27/coolant 31, Off - room temp 27/coolant 30, etc). Keep in mind coolant temperature is additive to CPU temps, but this also means if you reduce the coolant temperature by 1C, you have only reduced your CPU temp by 1C. For the most part, this is small change and not worth the stress and probably not worth taking the front panel off.

I do have two suggestions. First, set your pump speed to balanced. In a 30C room you must have a fan or two running to keep you cool. You will never hear the difference between Quiet and Balanced in those conditions. It hard enough in quiet room, let alone a Summertime room environment. In my usage on the same CPU and cooler, I do see a 1-2C difference in coolant temp at idle between the very low 1100 rpm quiet speed and 2100 balanced. There most certainly is a difference at load and I would not use Quiet for that. Since the pump is not automatically adjustable to load, needing to change it back in forth from Quiet to Balanced and back between usages is a needless task. Set it to Balanced and be done.

Another thing to consider is fan speed. Nothing wrong with 400-500 at idle at the desktop and you won't see a meaningful change by increasing it. However, it looks like the front rail is your only intake source of air, so when you are under sustained load conditions with high GPU activity (gaming, rendering, etc.), you are going to want to facilitate some air exchange in the case. If you are overly conservative on the front intake fan speed, it may affect overall case temperatures which in turn affects everything. That is something you can tune over time and not directly related to your initial set-up.

Find a tuning/overclock guide specifically for Gigabyte Z370. I see where you noted you don't intend to overclock and that's fine. However, all Z370/8700K CPUs need some tweaking right out of the box - or rather the BIOS usually does. I don't know the GA equivalents, but Asus has features enabled by default that alter the multiplier across all cores while skewing the voltage table. This results in very heavy and unnecessary Vcore levels in the stock/default configuration. There is also an IA/DC load line calibration setting to reduce some of the voltage swings. The behavior you describe of popping up to 50C when opening a browser, etc. is completely normal on Coffee Lake CPUs, but you can soften the reactions.

You don't have a contact issue between cold plate and CPU. If you did, your idle temps would be higher and the spikes on program launch would be hitting the 70-90C range, rather than the very normal 50C. Even with a delid, I will still see spikes close to that on piggy programs like iTunes or poorly optimized games. That is how these newer generation CPUs operate.

Last edited by c-attack; 08-06-2018 at 07:07 AM.