View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967398
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Room temperature often is the heaviest influence in a temperate climate. There is absolutely nothing I could ever do to take 10C off my end temps, except wait for it to snow.

Setting a specific voltage (either adaptive or manual) is a very good idea, if not required for most everyone regardless of intentions. Unfortunately, most of this stuff is brand specific in location and terminology, although often it exists across the spectrum. Asus has a 'default CPU behavior' selector that alters how aggressively you slide up and down the VID scale. GA may have something similar. All of the boards have some kind of feature that defaults to all cores running the Intel specified, single core turbo frequency (4.7GHz or 4700 MHz). Looks like GA is a more reasonable 6 core x 100% = 4400. Generally there is nothing wrong with using these features, as long you take back control over the voltage. Your shots above suggest your peak VID is 1.277 volts, which might reach 1.30v with normal overshoot and a moderate Load Line Calibration setting. Your temps actually look quite good for a 30C base temp, but I use 1.305 volts as my peak loaded overshoot value at 5.0GHz, so it would be surprising if you can't run a lower fixed or adaptive Vcore for 4.4GHz.

Start with these two. I have not read through it all, but it is generally a good place to see what people are doing and most are going to have the same kinds of questions (what does this function do, Vcore, LLC settings, etc.).

From Gigabyte originally: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...-oc-guide.html

Usual owners' thread: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...-settings.html

You don't have to do all the things these people are doing (or any of them), but there is information in there, especially when it comes to finding a target Vcore voltage or LLC setting. Unless you are having high temps issues, I don't see a reason to do much of anything at 4.4GHz other than set a specific manual or adaptive voltage. Adaptive voltage may have 1 or 2 other needed tweaks to keep it in check.