Corsair Community

Commander Pro Power Limit Problem

wildfire99

I recently picked up a Corsair Fan Commander Pro and six HD120 RGB fans.

I hooked up three of them initially as a test and everything worked fine. I then hooked up all six and things seemed to work ok, but when I shut down the computer (using the Windows "Shut Down" command) the system would not power off correctly. The screen turned off as well as USB peripherals but the power button and internal LEDs all remained lit, and the fans remained lit and looked like they had throttled to about 50% of what they normally run at. The system was in zombie mode.

Upon forcing off the system by holding down the power button, the system restarted and I got a message telling me Windows was unbootable ("you must repair your system"). This was unprecendented, so I unplugged the new thing in the system, which was the Commander, and everything worked again; system shutdown was normal, etc.

I believe I traced the issue to power. I have a Corsair HX650 powering the system, and the Commander is hooked up via a SATA power plug, which also hosts the power plug for my SSD drive (Samsung Evo 850), and I believe the issue was that there was too much power draw on the line for the SSD to work properly.

In retrospect, it may also be that I had USB peripherals (Razer Orbweaver) attached to the Commander because I had to plug it into a header that was in use (no other headers available). However I wonder if there is an inherit power limit problem due to using a SATA plug for power? It's also odd that the power LED on the Commander does not stay lit, it flashes green during boot but then remains off.

Would this setup work fine if I just moved the Commander over to its own SATA power cord?

Is this in the wrong forum, or do I need to just submit a support request ticket? I'm mostly and immediately concerned about the fact that the LED on the commander isn't lighting up, and I have no idea if it's supposed to. If it's supposed to light up, I may just have a faulty unit.

The oddball thing is that this is my second unit... the first one exhibited the same behavior, but while powered on grew too hot to touch comfortably then made a pop noise and stopped working.

The first unit I had was in an old test system, the second (replacement) unit I installed in my main computer just to ensure no power supply problems, and it doesn't light the LED either aside from a brief flash on startup.

I guess I can RMA the second unit too, especially since I'm seeing strange behavior from it as well as noted earlier, but I wanted to make sure before I tried a third unit, as I rarely see two bad items in a row. Nothing is plugged into the second unit except six HD120 RGB fans and one of the USB headers for the front case ports (in a Corsair 600T).

Edited by wildfire99

Just as an FYI for anyone looking at this later: after reviewing YouTube videos for Commander Pro installs, they show the same behavior as my unit. The green LED does NOT remain lit when the unit is in use. It flashes green a couple times at startup/power on and then stays off.

• 4 months later...
What was your solution for this? I am having similar issues with mine. Worked fine for a while and now when I choose shutdown in windows, the mobo shuts off and windows shuts down but my fans continue spinning at a steady rate and the RGBs stay lit. Only way to shut it down is to hit the power switch on the PSU. If I hit the power button the system fires back up normal.

• 1 year later...

I had this same issue and after a little troubleshooting I found the problem. If you have the commander pro plugged in on the same data power extension as a hard drive or ssd and there are 6 fans plugged into the commander pro (or just something that'll draw a lot of power like 6 fans) there won't be enough power for both the pro and the hard drive/ssd, I tested this by unplugging one them per startup and when I unplugged the pro it detected my harddrive and it was back to normal thankfully my system boots off of a m.2 ssd the 1tb hard drive is just storage.

SOLUTION: thankfully I have a fully modular psu and added a second sata power cable and it all runs fine another thing that made think it is the cable itself was because I have an Evga 750w GQ gold+ psu so I knew I had enough power to run this setup.

20190831_002106.thumb.jpg.fb8ffc1fd891b65024c6f0236f25a484.jpg