Corsair Community

VIRTUOSO RGB Headset audio crackle

The solution for me is to go back to the Headset Earphone Properties ( inside the sound control panel ) and look at the 'Advanced' tab format. For some reason when it's clipping it's using some weird format like 8 channel. Just select the normal '2 channel, 24 bit, 48000 Hz ( Studio Quality )' and it fix the problem.

The solution for me is to go back to the Headset Earphone Properties ( inside the sound control panel ) and look at the 'Advanced' tab format. For some reason when it's clipping it's using some weird format like 8 channel. Just select the normal '2 channel, 24 bit, 48000 Hz ( Studio Quality )' and it fix the problem.

I work in IT as noc engineer and you are spot on, This cause by Dolby surround processing on the iCUE software, I try a number of versions and all do the same thing low and high volume, Random sound cuts, Distorted sound, audio crackle. Some games doing it more then others and radio steam as well. . If you switch to Windows's Spatial sound it will fixed the issue. Some people report no issue in wired mode this may be due to Dolby surround processing and the sound compression over wireless.

I am still running the iCUE software with DTX: Headphone:X and Equalizer APO, I dont know if I will stick with DTX but on 14 day trial.

Also I running the latest version of iCUE and the USB flashing red then turns off but does not impact sound quality. Quit iCUE and the light comes back on.

Corsair should to move DTX or dolby atmos, I dont think this issue is fixed able with the current dolby version. .

I work in IT as noc engineer and you are spot on, This cause by Dolby surround processing on the iCUE software, I try a number of versions and all do the same thing low and high volume, Random sound cuts, Distorted sound, audio crackle. Some games doing it more then others and radio steam as well. . If you switch to Windows's Spatial sound it will fixed the issue. Some people report no issue in wired mode this may be due to Dolby surround processing and the sound compression over wireless.

I am still running the iCUE software with DTX: Headphone:X and Equalizer APO, I dont know if I will stick with DTX but on 14 day trial.

Also I running the latest version of iCUE and the USB flashing red then turns off but does not impact sound quality. Quit iCUE and the light comes back on.

Corsair should to move DTX or dolby atmos, I dont think this issue is fixed able with the current dolby version. .

Update: Did some more testing I found only get the audio crackle / clipping issue when set to 8 channels in wireless. In wired mode has no issue. Also just install iCUE v3.29.110 and it has fixed the issue for me. I made some sound files will which allow me to replicate the issue and the sound files no longer have the clipping / audio crackle. Also if you use any of the windows 10 DTX: Headphone:X or dolby atmos sound plugs you be limited to 16 bit sound.

After updating the headset's firmware to 0.17.149, I realized when in wired mode, no EQ setting in iCUE worked anymore (note I did not use any Windows spatial sound config, the EQ settings are not grayed out/disabled), also changing to the virtual 7.1 in iCUE had no effect. So I forced reupdating the firmware. This time, EQ now works, virtual 7.1 works, but there is a constant crackling sound when I play any audio while in virtual 7.1. It doesn't matter where I plug the USB cable, whether in a USB hub, or directly in the PC's back USB port, the crackle still happens with the virtual 7.1. Using a different USB cable also doesn't help.

But I will note that stereo mode doesn't have any problem in wired mode. Also, none of these problems occur in wireless mode.

There is also this strange problem that when I right-click my system tray's volume icon (to open Sound Settings), whatever music I was playing stops (regardless of the music player), and I have to click play again. This pausing bug only seems to happen one time after connecting the headset to the PC. If I disconnect/turn off the headset, then reconnect it, right-clicking on the volume icon makes it happen again. I never had this problem with my 2-year old SteelSeries Siberia 800.

My iCUE version is 3.29.110

Dongle firmware version is 0.16.80

EDIT: Ok I just retested now, the crackling in wired 7.1 surround seems to have diminished a lot. I can only notice a very short crackle, happens only every few minutes, a lot more tolerable, at least for now. This is a really strange headset.

EDIT 2: I think I may have figured it out for my case. I have about 80% RAM usage having dozens of Firefox tabs opened (I know, my bad). It could be something with the page file because when I alt+tab back to a program I haven't accessed in a long while (I never turn off my PC so a lot of programs just sit around), there would be an intense audio crackling for a short time while the program comes back up. I've been closing some Firefox tabs and the crackling seems to have gone completely. This might explain why it only happens sometimes. It doesn't seem to be related to CPU/GPU usage, I have Folding@Home open, which puts the CPU and GPU in intense load, and it doesn't affect my music playback. So my guess is RAM/pagefile.

Edited by AnomalusUndrdog

latest Firmware and Software

yeah, i am having same issues here. it all boils down to the ICUE software i fear.

Whenever i close Icue (not minimize to tray) the white light comes on and everything works perfectly but no EQ.

So if we could SAVE the EQ settings directly into the Headset i wouldn't need the software.

I had some bootloop issues thanks to the HIDCLASS.sys driver aswell.

So please check your software and drivers CORSAIR, it's a pity how this great Headset suffers from poor software.

• 1 month later...

I found this setting was on 8 channel, I changed it to what is in the picture and fixed it.

under sound properties select your headset and press the properties button on the bottom right of the window. Next select the advanced tab and change it from 8 channel to 2 channel 96000 Hz.

I hope it's this easy for the rest of you.

38qIA83.jpg

Edited by BrokeWar

I found this setting was on 8 channel, I changed it to what is in the picture and fixed it.

under sound properties select your headset and press the properties button on the bottom right of the window. Next select the advanced tab and change it from 8 channel to 2 channel 96000 Hz.

I hope it's this easy for the rest of you.

38qIA83.jpg

this only applies to usb mode though

• 5 weeks later...
I found the root cause of the problem on my computer. But not the solution. I have the virtuoso with a 3900x and x570 aourus elite with windows 10 all updated. I Have constant cracking sound like I am under water when I use the headphones. It has something to do with the power settings. Because it only does it when I use my pc in power saving mode in control panel. When I use hight performance or ryzen balanced. My problem goes away within 2 or 3 seconds. And It comes back as i turn power savings. It would be nice to use it properly it power saving mode. Because i don't need 12 cores at 4ghz to run factorio for an example. Power saving mode vs high perfomance mode. I have an additional 40watt usage on idle according to icue and my power supply.

Try going into Power Settings>Your Power Plan>Advanced Power Settings

Then USB settings and disable Selective Suspend.

If on wireless, it could be interference from where you have your dongle placed during higher power levels as well.

• 2 months later...
My pair of virtuoso non-se version is one month old and started making crackling noises a few days ago. Didn't have this issue before it is mostly noticable when playing games and not so much when listening to music. It doesn't matter if it's in wired or wireless mode, the issue appears in both modes. Tried using different Hz values in windows and it doesn't seem to fix it.

My pair of virtuoso non-se version is one month old and started making crackling noises a few days ago. Didn't have this issue before it is mostly noticable when playing games and not so much when listening to music. It doesn't matter if it's in wired or wireless mode, the issue appears in both modes. Tried using different Hz values in windows and it doesn't seem to fix it.

It looks like the corsair iCUE causes the crackling issue. Tried all of the last three versions of iCUE and all have the same problem. Uninstalled and did a clean install but hasn't solved it. Everything seems to work fine without iCUE. Unlucky, cause I was using the equalizer to tweak the sound but have to live without it I guess.

Try adjusting the Auto Audio Repositioning feature in iCUE, and see if that improves your audio experience. The article below outlines the use of this feature:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=200565

I just fixed the audio crackling issue with iCUE. I set iCUE to windows 8 compability mode and it works fine. Definitely has to do something with a recent Windows 10 Update.

Had crackling for a while and saw this thread, got dishearthened. Updated drivers, tried a new USB slot, did the power settings. Also tried different sound profiles.

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere. I have just uninstalled Nvidia RTX and the crackling seems to be gone for now.. will put down an update if not.

(Will try the windows 8 compatibility if it doesn't!).

Edit: Literally after posting, 5 mins later - crackling. Will try the windows 8 compatibility now.

Edit 2: The Win8 compatibility Fix didn't work either. Starting to think I should just send it back and get a different brand despite loving this one :(.

Edited by Ayarea

Had crackling for a while and saw this thread, got dishearthened. Updated drivers, tried a new USB slot, did the power settings. Also tried different sound profiles.

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere. I have just uninstalled Nvidia RTX and the crackling seems to be gone for now.. will put down an update if not.

(Will try the windows 8 compatibility if it doesn't!).

Edit: Literally after posting, 5 mins later - crackling. Will try the windows 8 compatibility now.

Edit 2: The Win8 compatibility Fix didn't work either. Starting to think I should just send it back and get a different brand despite loving this one :(.

Have you set it for both iCUE and iCUE Launcher (the one which starts with windows) ?

Have you set it for both iCUE and iCUE Launcher (the one which starts with windows) ?

Ah I didn't know the launcher needed that too, will try that, thanks so much!

EDIT: Still crackling. I bought it in June, and I'm seriously considering to send it back for either a new one or a different headset.

Edited by Ayarea

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased Corsair Virtuoso (non-SE). Guess what it's doing? CRACKLING!

I have tried it Wired, Wireless, Upgrading iCUE, Downgrading iCUE, upgraded firmware, NVIDIA Broadcast On/Off/Removed/Upgraded/Downgraded, Reinstalled Windows 10.

For reference:

Windows 10 v2004 (OS Build: 19041.630)

iCUE 3.36.125

VIRTUOSO/Dongle Firmware: v0.19.157/v0.18.88

NVIDIA Broadcast v1.0.0.30

• Confused 1

Just purchased Corsair Virtuoso (non-SE). Guess what it's doing? CRACKLING!

I have tried it Wired, Wireless, Upgrading iCUE, Downgrading iCUE, upgraded firmware, NVIDIA Broadcast On/Off/Removed/Upgraded/Downgraded, Reinstalled Windows 10.

For reference:

Windows 10 v2004 (OS Build: 19041.630)

iCUE 3.36.125

VIRTUOSO/Dongle Firmware: v0.19.157/v0.18.88

NVIDIA Broadcast v1.0.0.30

I feel you dude.

Today I thought I finally fixed it by setting the energy settings to Ryzen Performance setting, but after 10 mins of no crackling it started again.

I am so upset. I tried everything I could, but it seems I gotta send it back, which sucks cause the quality of the mic is amazing and so is the sound if it doesn't crackle + it looks cool :(.

I would like to say that we shouldn't have to troubleshoot and find work arounds for a product that's considered top tier and $220.00 for the SE. It's a joke we're beating our heads against the wall with ZERO solution from corsair other than "uninstall the software, now drivers, then reboot, then play with the dongle a bit and if that doesnt work did you try sacrificing a baby goat before performing a moon dance to summon the gods of corsair support??" The product support is a joke and in my case i cant tell if its just crappy/failing hardware or the newly updated software that caused my issues.. Below is my story and all the tests I attempted. tl;dr 3.5 hours later and after multiple forums posts and tests of my own I was unable to resolve the crackling/static and consider these now garbage and unusable.

After watching many reviews and comparisons I pulled the trigger on these August 2019. Initially these headphones were great when I bought them August 2019. No complaints, did what I wanted them to do and my only gripe was how heavy they felt after wearing them a few hours. Fast forward to October 2020 and notice my wireless range had dropped off a bit and I could no longer take my dogs out while outside and stay connected to my laptop or desktop when on VOIP calls. Chalk it up to maybe interference so plug in USB and don't notice much of a difference on either device.

Start listening to music and begin diving into my work and could not focus on anything except this constant crackling/static sound. Screw it, 3.5mm cable will resolve this with a quickness. Nope, still there

7.1 is off, spatial is off because I don't like how they sound to begin with. Only thing I could find was that icue had updated along with my drivers for the dongle and headset/firmware after checking my windows event logs.

I try and revert back to the previous version, nope oddly enough the issue is still there. I delete all the drivers this time and the software and reboot and try again. Nope, followed the steps outlined on these forums and still crackling away on my windows 8.1 machine regardless of USB, wireless dongle, or 3.5mm jack. Mind you, my other headsets have zero issue when I test them out to rule out the PC as the issue. At this point I can't even hold a conversation on them since they cut out and crackle so bad at this point.

Switch to my wife's Acer Predator laptop which is windows 10 and only 3 weeks old. No icue installed or ever had a headset plugged in or a game played on it. I turn off wifi/bluetooth to prevent interference and automatic driver installation. I found that the issue was still present but no where near as bad as my devices which has some sort of corsair driver and/or icue installed on it. So the issue is firmware residing on the headset that I cant seem to wipe/reset or a hardware issue that is then exacerbated by the software? IDK but I'm done with this **** and have spent way too much time merely to prove a point these were over priced and corsair was a joke since they needed their product to revolve around poorly coded software/applications that ruined their product LOL. (Same issue with Corsair Link cpu cooler software). Good luck to you all and hope you stay away from this product or are able to get your money back or RMA'a at the least.

I normally would go and buy Put contracts and hope your stock tanks but given how well Corsair markets their products there will be plenty of fools like myself that continue to buy their ****.

• Corsair Employee
I would like to say that we shouldn't have to troubleshoot and find work arounds for a product that's considered top tier and $220.00 for the SE. It's a joke we're beating our heads against the wall with ZERO solution from corsair other than "uninstall the software, now drivers, then reboot, then play with the dongle a bit and if that doesnt work did you try sacrificing a baby goat before performing a moon dance to summon the gods of corsair support??" The product support is a joke and in my case i cant tell if its just crappy/failing hardware or the newly updated software that caused my issues.. Below is my story and all the tests I attempted. tl;dr 3.5 hours later and after multiple forums posts and tests of my own I was unable to resolve the crackling/static and consider these now garbage and unusable.

After watching many reviews and comparisons I pulled the trigger on these August 2019. Initially these headphones were great when I bought them August 2019. No complaints, did what I wanted them to do and my only gripe was how heavy they felt after wearing them a few hours. Fast forward to October 2020 and notice my wireless range had dropped off a bit and I could no longer take my dogs out while outside and stay connected to my laptop or desktop when on VOIP calls. Chalk it up to maybe interference so plug in USB and don't notice much of a difference on either device.

Start listening to music and begin diving into my work and could not focus on anything except this constant crackling/static sound. Screw it, 3.5mm cable will resolve this with a quickness. Nope, still there

7.1 is off, spatial is off because I don't like how they sound to begin with. Only thing I could find was that icue had updated along with my drivers for the dongle and headset/firmware after checking my windows event logs.

I try and revert back to the previous version, nope oddly enough the issue is still there. I delete all the drivers this time and the software and reboot and try again. Nope, followed the steps outlined on these forums and still crackling away on my windows 8.1 machine regardless of USB, wireless dongle, or 3.5mm jack. Mind you, my other headsets have zero issue when I test them out to rule out the PC as the issue. At this point I can't even hold a conversation on them since they cut out and crackle so bad at this point.

Switch to my wife's Acer Predator laptop which is windows 10 and only 3 weeks old. No icue installed or ever had a headset plugged in or a game played on it. I turn off wifi/bluetooth to prevent interference and automatic driver installation. I found that the issue was still present but no where near as bad as my devices which has some sort of corsair driver and/or icue installed on it. So the issue is firmware residing on the headset that I cant seem to wipe/reset or a hardware issue that is then exacerbated by the software? IDK but I'm done with this **** and have spent way too much time merely to prove a point these were over priced and corsair was a joke since they needed their product to revolve around poorly coded software/applications that ruined their product LOL. (Same issue with Corsair Link cpu cooler software). Good luck to you all and hope you stay away from this product or are able to get your money back or RMA'a at the least.

I normally would go and buy Put contracts and hope your stock tanks but given how well Corsair markets their products there will be plenty of fools like myself that continue to buy their ****.

Thanks for taking the time to provide a lot of feedback in your post. Based on the thorough troubleshooting steps and testing on multiple devices with and without iCUE installed, it does sound like there is something related to your specific headset that is causing static, even over an analog 3.5mm connection which has virtually no software ties other than your onboard sound card. If you haven't already submitted a ticket through our portal, I would recommend doing so. Be sure to include the details you provided in your post as it should help expedite the process.

https://support.corsair.com/

If you don't receive a response within a day or two, feel free to PM me your ticket number and I'll reach out to support to escalate your ticket.

Thanks for taking the time to provide a lot of feedback in your post. Based on the thorough troubleshooting steps and testing on multiple devices with and without iCUE installed, it does sound like there is something related to your specific headset that is causing static, even over an analog 3.5mm connection which has virtually no software ties other than your onboard sound card. If you haven't already submitted a ticket through our portal, I would recommend doing so. Be sure to include the details you provided in your post as it should help expedite the process.

https://support.corsair.com/

If you don't receive a response within a day or two, feel free to PM me your ticket number and I'll reach out to support to escalate your ticket.

I still have audio crackling with my virtuoso when using the iCUE software.

Changing it to Windows 8 compability mode helped at the beginning but after a few days it starting crackling again. I have to use my virtuoso without the iCUE software. The problem is, I'd like to use the EQ from iCUE again and I have a corsair strafe mk2 rgb keyboard which I have to use without all those nice rgb settings... Pls fix the software.

• 2 weeks later...
Just recently started having the audio pop on me sometimes. I've uninstalled icue multiple times now same with the drivers. I've also tried windows 8 compatibility mode now as well. It seems to get worse throughout the day. Edited by Bradman02