View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 04:51 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1033421
DevBiker Reputation: 94

First, when going with ThreadRipper (or Intel Extreme) ... these are quad channel CPUs. So yes, you want to get them in sets of 4 matched DIMMs. It's when you have mismatched DIMMs on the same channel that you can get into problems.

The 3970X officially only supports 3200 but you can go up to 3600 before you get into issue with the fabric and the memory running at a 2:1 ratio, which will cause issues. Personally, I'm currently running 3466 Mhz in a 3960X.

As far as the QVL - the QVL is the list of memory that the motherboard vendor has tested. They may be a guideline but they aren't the final answer. I've got 8 3466 Dominator DIMMs running on my system just fine ... and they aren't on the QVL. If it's on the QVL, you can be fairly certain it'll work. If not, then it's likely to work but not certain.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Helpful Links and FAQs:
AIO FAQ | RGB FAQ |
HydroX FAQ | RGB Cables |
iCUE Tips & Tricks