Corsair Community

H80 and Commander Pro

nonamename

I need some help here. I'm pretty confused about a few things. I have a corsair H80i water cooler and just installed the commander pro.

1. water pump should be connected to motherboard or commander pro?

2. fans from water pump should be connected to motherboard or commander pro?

3. iCue software should be installed not the iLink or whatever it is "link" software, is that correct?

4. are the temperature probes even needed either? I see that the iCue software sees my motherboard sensors and can read those as well as the GPU sensor as well. Shouldn't those be enough to regulate temperature/fan speeds???

5. why is this information so hard to find!?!?!?

thanks in advance for any help, i'm kinda annoyed with this commander pro in that there seems to be very little amount of data on how to set it up for dummies. I really wish there was more literature on recommended fan connections and such.

Edited by nonamename

I need some help here. I'm pretty confused about a few things. I have a corsair H80i water cooler and just installed the commander pro.

1. water pump should be connected to motherboard or commander pro?

2. fans from water pump should be connected to motherboard or commander pro?

3. iCue software should be installed not the iLink or whatever it is "link" software, is that correct?

4. are the temperature probes even needed either? I see that the iCue software sees my motherboard sensors and can read those as well as the GPU sensor as well. Shouldn't those be enough to regulate temperature/fan speeds???

5. why is this information so hard to find!?!?!?

thanks in advance for any help, i'm kinda annoyed with this commander pro in that there seems to be very little amount of data on how to set it up for dummies. I really wish there was more literature on recommended fan connections and such.

Correct, install iCue. There is also this thread you can refer to for further cooler setup. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174442

1.) pump connects to CPU Fan the Pump header on some boards are set to always on so check in bios if so. (there always needs to be a fan of some sort plugged into cpu_fan header no matter what)

2.) fans from pump connects to commander pro

3.) icue is the link of the old corsair link + cue (so use icue if possible if u want better software vs old software)

4.) those are optional, you can add them if you want additional readings or more specific ones. the readings from the gpu, motherboard, ram etc are fine as well

5.) see link attached

thanks for the reply! The info is much appreciated.

Another question, how do I control the fans of the pump itself that are on the radiator? I don't see an option in commander (the pump doesn't show up but I think it might after i reboot as the USB device had a "!" on it, and uninstalling/reinstalling fixed that).

1. As above, although something has to be on cpu fan to boot up. Since the H80i needs a full 12v signal at all times (100%, Full Speed, or disabled), putting it on cpu fan is usually a good place. That header has low value as a case fan header.

2. Most people will be better served with the radiator fans on the cooler’s fan controller. As long as the unit has power, those fans will operate natively with coolant temperature and protect the cooler if something were to go wrong. It is possible to use the Commander Pro for the radiator fans and set the control variable to coolant temperature (H80i Temp), however the C-Pro will loose contact with that data on every restart, boot, or if you quit iCUE. The next sound you will hear is the fans hitting 2400 rpm. Most people find that a little alarming/annoying and it it will not happen on the H80i’s own controller. You can still work around this if necessary by using those temp probes to measure radiator exhaust temp. That is roughly equivalent to coolant temperature and the temp probes are the native sensor value for the Commander Pro. They are for data gathering and fan control (external temp, case temp at various places, etc). GPU temp is a common control variable for case fans, but the same conditions above will apply - no iCUE running, no control.

I got it now, thanks a lot for the help!

What kinda threw me a bit was the fact the h80iv2 plugs into the USB on the controller, yet in the iCue software it's nowhere to be found. I thought it was for controlling the fans or pump or something.

Now I think it's just for the lighting effects on it. I can't seem to get it to be seen by the controller though and I'm not sure why.

The controller itself is seen by Windows 10, USB ID is correct on it and it shows as healthy in the device manager.

I got it now, thanks a lot for the help!

What kinda threw me a bit was the fact the h80iv2 plugs into the USB on the controller, yet in the iCue software it's nowhere to be found. I thought it was for controlling the fans or pump or something.

Now I think it's just for the lighting effects on it. I can't seem to get it to be seen by the controller though and I'm not sure why.

The controller itself is seen by Windows 10, USB ID is correct on it and it shows as healthy in the device manager.

if anyone is interested, I fixed the issue of the H80iv2 not being seen when plugged into the commander pro. The issue was the usb was plugged in incorrectly to the port. The port allows you to put the cable in incorrectly which is a first, the port itself is just too large, so you can have it on the second set of pins instead of the first, so it's not fully plugged in.

This might help some others so I thought I'd post it.

if anyone is interested, I fixed the issue of the H80iv2 not being seen when plugged into the commander pro. The issue was the usb was plugged in incorrectly to the port. The port allows you to put the cable in incorrectly which is a first, the port itself is just too large, so you can have it on the second set of pins instead of the first, so it's not fully plugged in.

This might help some others so I thought I'd post it.

Yeah, I've done this. It is easy to do.