Corsair Community

9900k cooling / H150i vs H115i platinum

Akis01

hello to forum!

i m on 9900k 1,33v @5 allcore / z390 aorus pro and i m searching the best cooling solution between H150i 360mm vs H115i platinum 280mm

now i m with Antec mercury 360mm ( mx-4 ) and my temps are at 1,33 voltage 88-94 cinebench r15/20 and at gaming 78-84

for @5,1 all core i need 1,365 voltage to be stable

and my temps there at +5 , so close to throtling..:evil:

any ideas ?

tnx

Edited by Akis01

It’s probably about 2C difference between them at maximum sustained load. For normal mixed use, there is probably slim to none in term of temperature. Where there is a definite difference is the fit in your case 360 vs 280 and some cases set up better for one or the other.

There also is a difference in tone between 3x120 and 2x140. In theory, you can run the three 120 mm fans at slightly lower speed/noise levels for the same performance. However, 120mm fans are generally more identifiable with a higher frequency than a 140mm with its lower, coarser tone. This is being a bit picky, but some people have a clear preference for one vs the other. I have two systems, one is 2x360 and the other 2x280 and all 140mm based. I go back and forth as to which I prefer. You’ve chosen a 360mm now, so presumably there was a reason.

All that said, there are no miracles in cooling. You can’t change brands and drop 10C. If your temps are too high, you are going to have to look at voltage. If you can’t drop voltage, then you need to scrape every degree you can. Cinebench multicore is a very quick test. Fans and cooler capacity don’t come into play. Just voltage and conductivity. Your games would be a better source for data in relation to cooler performance. Not sure if that Antec can measure coolant temp or not, but that is the measure of efficiency for a cooler.

It’s probably about 2C difference between them at maximum sustained load. For normal mixed use, there is probably slim to none in term of temperature. Where there is a definite difference is the fit in your case 360 vs 280 and some cases set up better for one or the other.

There also is a difference in tone between 3x120 and 2x140. In theory, you can run the three 120 mm fans at slightly lower speed/noise levels for the same performance. However, 120mm fans are generally more identifiable with a higher frequency than a 140mm with its lower, coarser tone. This is being a bit picky, but some people have a clear preference for one vs the other. I have two systems, one is 2x360 and the other 2x280 and all 140mm based. I go back and forth as to which I prefer. You’ve chosen a 360mm now, so presumably there was a reason.

All that said, there are no miracles in cooling. You can’t change brands and drop 10C. If your temps are too high, you are going to have to look at voltage. If you can’t drop voltage, then you need to scrape every degree you can. Cinebench multicore is a very quick test. Fans and cooler capacity don’t come into play. Just voltage and conductivity. Your games would be a better source for data in relation to cooler performance. Not sure if that Antec can measure coolant temp or not, but that is the measure of efficiency for a cooler.

tnx for the reply

yes i know .. is a matter of voltage

also i ll use thermal paste kryonaut ( better vs mx 4 )

i think h115 pro is another option with noctua fans , it has bigger radiator than h115 platimum

in my country -- 135 euros H115i pro / 145 e H115i platimum / 172 e H150i

so... ?:evil: difficult .....

I like the H115i Pro over the Platinum for my uses. I already have RGB fans spilling out of closets everywhere and have plenty of airflow. However, you might be someone where you can make a strong case for the Platinum, especially if its only 10 euros more. For that small amount, you will get 2 x ML140-RGB Hi-speed fans with a 2000 rpm max. These are identical in performance to a Noctua NF-A14 industrial... and of course they light up.

The H115i Pro fans will be capped at 1200 rpm and are NOT RGB. I just finished writing a post diminishing the important of running 140mm fans at 1500 rpm or more. That said, you are the person running right against the edge of their throttle zone where a 2C reduction might keep you out of trouble.

The Platinum is supposed to have a slightly better cold plate, but I have not tested that on my equipment.

The Platinum can act as its own lighting controller for those two fans. No other Corsair RGB gear is required. If you already have Corsair RGB fans the relevant gear, you plug them in with your existing stuff or use the Platinum's controller.

When the price difference is €30, then argue you could buy your own fans and it might even out. At €10 that doesn't seem valid and their are other inducements. It seems like the real comparison for you would be H115i Platinum vs H150i Pro or XT (if available).

I like the H115i Pro over the Platinum for my uses. I already have RGB fans spilling out of closets everywhere and have plenty of airflow. However, you might be someone where you can make a strong case for the Platinum, especially if its only 10 euros more. For that small amount, you will get 2 x ML140-RGB Hi-speed fans with a 2000 rpm max. These are identical in performance to a Noctua NF-A14 industrial... and of course they light up.

The H115i Pro fans will be capped at 1200 rpm and are NOT RGB. I just finished writing a post diminishing the important of running 140mm fans at 1500 rpm or more. That said, you are the person running right against the edge of their throttle zone where a 2C reduction might keep you out of trouble.

The Platinum is supposed to have a slightly better cold plate, but I have not tested that on my equipment.

The Platinum can act as its own lighting controller for those two fans. No other Corsair RGB gear is required. If you already have Corsair RGB fans the relevant gear, you plug them in with your existing stuff or use the Platinum's controller.

When the price difference is €30, then argue you could buy your own fans and it might even out. At €10 that doesn't seem valid and their are other inducements. It seems like the real comparison for you would be H115i Platinum vs H150i Pro or XT (if available).

finally i ordered H115i pro , plus 2x of these fans Noctua NF-A14 industrial.2000rpm ( before read your response !! )

we ll see !!! :laughing:

after many many hours of searching reviews i think is the better option this radiator with better fans :biggrin:

now my temps at 5 @ all core ( with Antec 360 mercury ) are ... https://ibb.co/8xhT9c3

* the new model Corsair iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT is with 120mm fans ,, has the same pump as h115i pro ? is it can take 140mm fans ( the pro xt )??

Edited by Akis01

No, the new XT coolers will have similar hardware to the Platinum cooler line, but without RGB fans and with a black pump casing. Despite the "Pro" name, there is no relation to the Pro series of coolers. They probably should have left that out and simply called it the XT.

yesterday i change to my new H115i pro

at same voltage i m 6-7 degrees better than my old 360mm radiator

the fans are up to 1180 rpm

and my question is if worth the upgrade to noctua af14 fan 2000rpm

if the noctua stays at 1500 -1600 rpm .. i ll be better for about 5 celcious ??

and corsair link will can recognize them and control the noctua ??

Assuming a maximum overclock and resulting CPU wattage of around 225W, you might be able to get another 2-3C off the coolant (and CPU) temps by increasing fan speed to 1600 vs the 1200 max on the ML140-Quiet. In your original requirements, there was not going to be much headroom in the 1.3x voltage range, so if that 2-3C keeps you out of the throttle zone, then yes it may be worth it.

Did you opt for the H115i Pro or the H115i Pro XT? (Yes, the naming is bad). The H115i Pro will definitely control the A14 industrial 2000 PWM. I have used them for years. The CoolIT based controller on the XT is uncertain. I previously have told people the A14i 2000 RPM is fine on the Platinum series, but then we had a clear case of PWM control issues recently for one user. The XT will surely have the same controller as the Platinum, so I do not think that is 100% guaranteed. The ML140 Pro (black, non-LED) is going to have the same performance specs as the A14i and will work on all of them. It may be slightly less noisy in the 1400-1600 range, but that is slicing things fairly fine. All 140mm fans at 1500 are more than noticeable.

Assuming a maximum overclock and resulting CPU wattage of around 225W, you might be able to get another 2-3C off the coolant (and CPU) temps by increasing fan speed to 1600 vs the 1200 max on the ML140-Quiet. In your original requirements, there was not going to be much headroom in the 1.3x voltage range, so if that 2-3C keeps you out of the throttle zone, then yes it may be worth it.

Did you opt for the H115i Pro or the H115i Pro XT? (Yes, the naming is bad). The H115i Pro will definitely control the A14 industrial 2000 PWM. I have used them for years. The CoolIT based controller on the XT is uncertain. I previously have told people the A14i 2000 RPM is fine on the Platinum series, but then we had a clear case of PWM control issues recently for one user. The XT will surely have the same controller as the Platinum, so I do not think that is 100% guaranteed. The ML140 Pro (black, non-LED) is going to have the same performance specs as the A14i and will work on all of them. It may be slightly less noisy in the 1400-1600 range, but that is slicing things fairly fine. All 140mm fans at 1500 are more than noticeable.

tnx so much for your response!

i took H115i pro ( non Xt with 120mm fans )

i have 9900k at 5 all core with 1,29 voltage llc turbo ( z390 aorus pro)

i m better for about 6-7 degrees ...

but -- the fans of H115 are on corsair adaptor and no bios control

i connected them to separate fan header and 1 of them no spin-- lol

is there any way to control them from bios ? and the pump too ?

The pump can only be controlled through the software. Never through the BIOS.

Swap the two fans on the connectors 1 <-> 2. Does the "no spin" fan stay in the same place? Or does the other one now not spin? You are testing a wire problem vs a fan problem. If it is the wire/connector, you could run a 2 way PWM splitter from the the one working connector.

You can run the radiator fans from the BIOS by moving them to the motherboard, but I would save that for a last resort. They will be over-reactive when on those headers and cut-off from the coolant temp sensor.

The pump can only be controlled through the software. Never through the BIOS.

Swap the two fans on the connectors 1 <-> 2. Does the "no spin" fan stay in the same place? Or does the other one now not spin? You are testing a wire problem vs a fan problem. If it is the wire/connector, you could run a 2 way PWM splitter from the the one working connector.

You can run the radiator fans from the BIOS by moving them to the motherboard, but I would save that for a last resort. They will be over-reactive when on those headers and cut-off from the coolant temp sensor.

i ll check the 2 way PWM splitter....

the noctua fans u think worth the 60 euros . for 2-4 degrees ??

i m 50/50

Only if you are within 4-6C of your throttle point or comfortable limit. I would also wait to see how the current situation is resolved. Possible there is an issue with the one fan, although not likely.

yesterday night

suddently the H115i stopped be controlled from corsair link and only from icue now ( my mouse software )

the problem is that thare is no control for the pump at icue , is at 1000 rpm ( quit mode )

when i uninstall the software icue then the corsair link took the support of H115i

-- the question is how i can delete h115i control form icue ??

because i need icue too for mouse control

https://ibb.co/7Rz7hy4

help.....

Edited by Akis01

iCUE replaced Link as the control software for peripherals and internal device two years ago. When it is installed, it will override Link. You cannot use them both. If you need it for the mouse, there is no reason not to use it for the cooler.

iCUE can control the cooler, but the method of applying curves is different. Click on the H115i picture. Click on the Performance tab. Click on the preset or custom curve first. It will highlight yellow. Then click on the pump or fan(s) you want to run that curve. It will ring yellow to confirm it has been applied.

iCUE replaced Link as the control software for peripherals and internal device two years ago. When it is installed, it will override Link. You cannot use them both. If you need it for the mouse, there is no reason not to use it for the cooler.

iCUE can control the cooler, but the method of applying curves is different. Click on the H115i picture. Click on the Performance tab. Click on the preset or custom curve first. It will highlight yellow. Then click on the pump or fan(s) you want to run that curve. It will ring yellow to confirm it has been applied.

yes .. but when the pump icon cant be highlight yellow... this is the problem

the modes -->> quiet / balanced / performance take affect only at fans ,, no the pump

question ..-- is there any other program to control mouse ( ' universal ")

or i have bad edition of icue and can t control pump

There is no reason for iCUE not to be able to change the pump to one of the presets (Quiet or Extreme - H115i is 2 speed). No one has ever reported a pump that was functional but could not be controlled through the software.

You cannot remove devices from iCUE. If it is installed, it takes control over Link. If Link controls the pump, then so should iCUE. If you really want to pursue the software glitch possibility, uninstall Link (you can leave the settings intact), then left click on Corsair iCUE in the Apps list for Windows. Select "Modify" and follow the prompts for a repair installation. However, 99% of all issues moving from Link to iCUE were on the user side adjusting to the new UI.

There is no reason for iCUE not to be able to change the pump to one of the presets (Quiet or Extreme - H115i is 2 speed). No one has ever reported a pump that was functional but could not be controlled through the software.

You cannot remove devices from iCUE. If it is installed, it takes control over Link. If Link controls the pump, then so should iCUE. If you really want to pursue the software glitch possibility, uninstall Link (you can leave the settings intact), then left click on Corsair iCUE in the Apps list for Windows. Select "Modify" and follow the prompts for a repair installation. However, 99% of all issues moving from Link to iCUE were on the user side adjusting to the new UI.

i m 10-15 degrees up cause of quiet pump only

may try other version of icue ?? or change mouse ... :evil:??

https://ibb.co/2Yy1XGF

i did

the same again..

no reaction at pump speed

https://ibb.co/d0pHY1V

fans - all ok at extreme

pump stay at quiet mode

-- before some minutes i did a clean installation of icue https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-Perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-the-Corsair-Utility-Engine-iCUE-

and the same prob--

but... with an old app https://ibb.co/6BvvLm3 the dpi is ok , the pump is ok through corsair link now , and the only problem now is the 2 buttons of ironclaw mouse - front and back -- can t support the model of mouse this program

Edited by Akis01