View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 939138
DevBiker Reputation: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Hmm, I've heard a few people trashing Corsair link or complaining it doesn't work with Linux, something I occasionally will be using so maybe BIOS controlled fan speeds would be better.
You can write your custom fan curve to the cooler. As long as your fan curve is based on the coolant temperature, it will run without requiring Link. You will, however, need Link to set it up.

Quote:
I wonder if it's ok just to use the CPU opt fan or sys fan and a splitter for my 2 LL fans with no stock fans in a push only configuration. Then configure the bios to have the proper fan curve in response to CPU package temps. I know link is cool because it offers cooling control based on coolant temps not package temps, but is there any major benefit to this, wouldn't it be the same just to copy the fan curve but at higher temps since the package is the fan speeds trigger not the rad fluid.
You can but there's no need for this. Again, if you are based on coolant temperature, you can write the settings to the hardware. Why base on coolant temp? Because that's what the fans actually cool. CPU temperature is going to spike and drop, spike and drop. It's highly variable. Coolant temperature is far more stable and steady and, since it's what the fans actually are cooling, it's the most appropriate control variable.

Quote:
Also I could just use the 2 LL in push with the 2 headers from the h100i v2 but I've heard the h100i already isn't the most powerful since it pulls all power from a 12w CPU fan header and divides it between 2 fans and a pump. So unless the LL has similar pwm power consumption to the stock fans I'd prefer to put it into a system fan header. Then I could try to ramp up the exhasut fan speeds in correlation to the intake fan speed.
You're fine with one set of fans connected to the cooler, whether it's the stock fans or the LL fans. If you want to have push/pull controlled from that fan header, you won't be able to do it.

Quote:
EDIT: I wouldn't be against ditching the stock h100i fans all together, they seem to be kinda noisy. If I go this route will the 2 pwm leads from the pump be able to adequately power my LL fans??
They are noisy, yes. The PWM leads will adequately power your LL fans.

Quote:
EDIT2: Also my z370g board has a CPU, CPU_OPT, and AIO_PUMP header so if one will provide more power or be better I can use that. I also have noticed a very slight rattling in the pump. I don't necessarily think it's bad but was curious how normal this is, if it will go away or any ways to try and fix it. I can confirm I am set to DC on the CPU fan header with 100% fan curve
Even if you have a header that provides more than 1A of power, I wouldn't bet that it'd work the way you think as the pump was designed for a 1A header. Additional current may blow a fuse or overload the wiring. We'd need Corsair engineering to confirm this.

If you do want to run more fans from that single header with a curve based on pump temperature, I would recommend a powered PWM hub. There's one from Silverstone that would do the job nicely.

Additionally, if you use a Commander Pro (CoPro), you can do something similar. If your fan curves for the CoPro are based on the temperature sensors connected to it, you can run your fan curves without Link (in hardware). Adding a temperature sensor in the exhaust flow of the radiator fans will give you a good indication of the radiator temperature (it'll be a little lower but not much).

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.