Corsair Community

Add 2 or 3 others fans directly on the H100i Platinum

bada55

Hello people!

I recently installed the H100i Platinum with 2xML120 PRO RGB in my case, a very nice piece by the way. And... I fell into the RGB trap, I want to put it everywhere now.

To begin with, I plan to buy at least 2 (or 3 if it work) more ML120 PRO RGB.

The thing is, I'd like to plug them into the H100i directly with a Y splitter.

For RGB cables I think I'll make them myself (Unless you have a magical item on amazon or something else), and plug them directly into the cooler.

On the other hand, for the power cables, I have a doubt if it won't be too heavy to plug 2 or 3 more fans into the cooler. And if so, how to power them while keeping them adjustable via icue?

I understand that in this case, the leds and rpm will be the same as fan 1 or 2 of the cooler, im okey with that.

I've watched a lot of other posts here, some youtube videos, but never an identical scenario to mine.

Thank you in advance for your comments, and for your expertise:)

The ML series fan has a fairly low current draw and mathematically you should be under the current limit. However, be aware there are other underlying factors in play. I would try 2 x 2-way splitters vs a triple + 1. I think +3 more fans is pushing your luck, but 2 most likely works. Also, be aware the Platinum radiator version of the ML is a high speed model 2400 rpm+. The retail version of the ML120-RGB is capped at 1600 rpm. That may be problematic if the Platinum uses a % PWM control option.

The RGB wires are something else. The Platinum was designed to be a lighting controller for its two fan only. I am not sure if there is enough power on the lighting controller to power another 2-3 fans worth of RGB. The ML at least is lower current level, but this would be disastrous to do with LL fans that pull more than 0.6A per fan for lighting alone. The Platinum's controller is a nice feature for those with no other RGB fans, strips, etc. Once you get into multiple fans (now 5?), you really need to get on a RGB Lighting Hub to handle the power requirements for the lighting. That then plugs into a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro to interface with the software. As mentioned above, the LNP comes in most multi-packs of RGB fans. The Commander Pro is a LNP + fan controller + temp sensors so you can free yourself from BIOS fan control entirely -- if desired.

Thank you for this very clear explanation c-attack.

In fact, I will soon be recovering a defective h100i platinum, in addition to the functional model currently in my PC. So, I'm going to have x2 ML120 more than I thought I would put on the front with a 2x2-way splitters like you said. If I follow your logic, would that be okay with 4 fans like that ?

I still have the original corsair fan with the spec05 case in extraction at the back.

I'll leave it until I get a Commander Pro asap

Edited by bada55

With the Commander Pro you can do whatever you want. You'll have up to 6 fan channels that can run from numerous sources at RPM curve, fixed RPM, or fixed PWM %. There wouldn't be any reason to jack multiple fans into the Platinum fan controller if you have the C-Pro. I would still leave the two main radiator fans on the Platinum's controller. That ensures they will operate as intended, with or without software, and in an emergency state.

Look on the back of the your Platinum high speed ML fans. On the label, there should be a current rating. I am expecting something like 0.22A, but this is not a publicly available fan so I can't be sure they used the exact same motor from the ML-PRO and ML-LED series. 4 x 0.22 = 0.88A is OK. I would never do this with LL or other high current draw fans.

In my case of h100i platinum + 3 ML120 rgb (including 2 from an old h100i platinum) I don't need the Lighting PRO? Just copro and the rgb hub, right?

Yes, a CoPro and an RGB Hub will do it. The CoPro has the same functionality as the NoPro ... plus a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update,

So I got 2 ML120s of a broken h100i platinum, and plugged it directly into the existing h100i platinum with Y splitters for power, and homemade Y splitters for RGB. Everything seems to work perfectly even at full power. I hesitate to add 1 more fan, but it will certainly be too much for a single SATA power supply.

In addition, what can be the signs of a poor power supply in this case? Will the leds be weak? Will the fans have trouble working?

Thanks for the info.

I made this modification temporarily, while waiting to get a copro.

I'll probably say something stupid, but how can an overload occur when the power supply remains limited to the sata port? The power supply at the beginning is not changed, I don't understand why, there wouldn't be a loss of brightness, or a low rotational speed, rather than directly something burning.

The PSU SATA cable is not the limit. All the fan and lighting power is going through the Platinum. It’s circuitry and cables are the limiting factor. It was designed for two fans, not as a multi port fan and lighting controller. That is the Commander Pro. Consensus is your can get away with this with ML-RGB fans that pull a lot less lighting and fan motor current than HD/LL fans. However, that is not something I would casually recommend. Make sure you know what you are connecting.

Incidentally, your PSU is likely to shut down or hard restart if you try to pull more power through the PSU SATA than is allowed. That is to protect the hardware.

Edited by c-attack

• 5 months later...
Small update,

So I got 2 ML120s of a broken h100i platinum, and plugged it directly into the existing h100i platinum with Y splitters for power, and homemade Y splitters for RGB. Everything seems to work perfectly even at full power. I hesitate to add 1 more fan, but it will certainly be too much for a single SATA power supply.

In addition, what can be the signs of a poor power supply in this case? Will the leds be weak? Will the fans have trouble working?

I have practically the same problem as you. I want to connect a third fan to the Corsair Hydro i100 platinum. The third fan will be the rear fan of the case (ML 120 pro RGB). To do this I thought I would use, like you, a Y-shaped USB connector that divides the signal in two (for the power supply there would be no problems because I would use one of the motherboard outputs).

I understand that you did it and it worked? Which connector did you use? (could you give me some links?) And how does lighting management on the additional fan work?

Hi,

To make it simple, you can use a single connector for two fans at the same time, both for the leds and for the power supply. You have to pull the cables out of the fan1 connector, do the same with fan2, twist the cables from fan1+fan2 together, and put them back into a single connector. Same procedure for the power supply. In the end the 2 fans will be identical in lights and rotation.

As on the picture here. yqS0VNQh.jpg