Corsair Community

Does the 14mm hard-tubing refer to ID or OD?

jbarker4682

And NEVER use acrylic

got a good reason for that? aside from PETG supposedly easier to work with for the newcomers to the sport?. using Acrylic my self.. yet to see why PETG is 'better'?

PETG

Pros:

Soft and thus less brittle and won't crack when bent slightly

Easier to cut (certainly)

Easier to bend (slightly)

Cons:

Not as clear to begin with. Can degrade from UV-A exposure (sunlight)

More prone to being stained by dyes (though miles ahead of soft tubing)

Can deform when a joint is under stress for long periods of time

Acrylic:

Pros:

More clear and more shiny!!

Won't stain and wont yellow

Cons:

Can crack when forced (why would you force things?)

Harder to cut (easy with the correct tools)

(taken from another post with a few edits made)

Edited by Zotty

Cons:

Not as clear to begin with. Can degrade from UV-A exposure (sunlight)

More prone to being stained by dyes (though miles ahead of soft tubing)

Can deform when a joint is under stress for long periods of time

I don't think it's crystal clear but my PETG looks clear enough. So what's the opacity percentage difference between the two?

Acrylics scratches so easy, the first time I wiped the oils from my hands stuck on the reservoir, it left the scratches from using a BRAND NEW microfiber towel. PETG tubing didn't scratch.

My PETG won't degrade due to UV-A exposure, it will remain indoors for as long as I own it.

LED light used for PCs do not emit UV-A rays powerful enough or none at all to stain tubing.

Never heard the PROs complaining about stains caused by dyes.

Acrylic takes 2, 3 times longer to bend.

Oh! My PETG won't deform, I know I didn't cut it to perfection but didn't cut it to the point of under stress, because I measured the inside of the fitting and how much I needed and added what goes inside the fitting.

It's like cutting PEX tubing, and I'm not even a plumber, but I learned. And using the tool I use to cut PEX, I used the same tool to cut the PETG.

And ultimately why not use acrylic? Well.....JAYZTwoCents always use PETG over acrylic on his buils. He's somewhat the "guru" of Loop.

PETG, I can see the cables and the PHANTEKS sliding panel edge, not clear enough? See the pic.

P1020633.JPG.b9ed2dc6558701ec624eb78aff231df3.JPG

And ultimately why not use acrylic? Well.....JAYZTwoCents always use PETG over acrylic on his buils. He's somewhat the "guru" of Loop..

every one has a preference., including Guru's.. my point being.. there is nothing wrong with either type. the OP should know that and not a simple no reason why and indeed shouted 'NEVER', imho. both do the job.. both have area's they need to be respected in.

makes for a good read..

https://bit-tech.net/guides/modding/watercooling/water-cooling-with-hardline-tubing-guide-petg-and-acrylic/1/

is your build a bendless build? as in all fittings?.. looks clean

everyone has a preference., including Guru's.. my point being.. there is nothing wrong with either type.

I see, but my point is that Mr. jbarker4682 may not be a "pro" or somewhat knowledgeable about hard tubing, thus PETG is more friendly for first-timers and Alex Banks liking acrylic better can be summarized that it's because of its "clarity" (from reading the article) and nothing else, but the process for acrylic? it can be daunting for first-timers, such me too.

Now that I know, after all, I still prefer PETG over acrylic.

And yes, I don't think I have the patience nor the time for bending and the required heating-gun, so I decided to buy a few extra 90 degree fittings. $85.82 well spent.

well i am no 'Pro'. and using acrylic and can assure you that its not as hard as the 'myth' says it is.

i was going to do my current (still building) as all fittings and indeed bought enough to.

http://i.imgur.com/qVCvkPwl.jpg

but figured i would play with a few bends to see what all the hassle was about (this is all test fit)

http://i.imgur.com/de4NnlEl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LxD4pdOl.jpg

so now i know its not the 'mission' the interwebz makes it out to be i will be doing the whole loop that way. very happy with my first bends in my first loop., oh and it didnt take ages or long.. i had those 2 bends planned/bent/fitted inside 10 mins tops

aside from my rad joints of course lol they wont have any bends of course

http://i.imgur.com/YBpQHzjl.jpg

Edited by Zotty

Hey... thanks for the clarification... based on all the videos I watched on YouTube I've already gone with Corsair's 14mm PMMA tubing... I just didn't know if that referred to the inner or outer diameter as I'm trying to buy a silicone insert of the correct size...

speaking of, does anyone her have any recommendations on a good place to buy a silicone insert, or a shaping kit that will fit 14mm OD / 10mm ID tubing?