Corsair Community

Retirement Build Log - Corsair 1000D

The wife finally gave me permission to build a dream rig for my upcoming retirement...:biggrin:

I have been in and out of the desktop computer scene since the early 1980's. My very first system was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4D. Boy, have computers come a very long way since then.

After a lot of research I have decided this will be a dual system build in the Corsair 1000D chassis. What a beast. As soon as it arrived I realized I am going to have to completely redesign my home office to house it...

The system specs so far are:

System 1

EVGA Z390 Dark Motherboard

Intel i7-9700K CPU

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200 RAM (32GB)

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Hydro Copper Gaming 8GB GPU

Corsair AX1600i Titanium Power Supply

Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 (x2)

Seagate Barracuda Pro Computer 10TB HDD (x3)

Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB SATA SSD (x3)

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

System 2

EVGA H370 Stinger Motherboard

Intel i7-9700K

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200 RAM (32GB)

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Hydro Copper Gaming 8GB GPU

Corsair SFX600 Platinum Power Supply

Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2

Seagate Barracuda Pro Computer 10TB HDD (x2)

Seagate Barracuda Computer 2TB SATA SSD (x3)

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Custom hardline cooling utilizing Alphacool components.

Custom wiring and sheathing utilizing MDPC-X components.

Photos of build start coming next post. Pandemic has me waiting on some of the parts still.

Good luck mate, specs look enticing and I had to chuckle when I saw your comment about redesigning your office around that case. I don't have one, but the thought that it supports its own gravitational field scares me just a bit.

I've had my "therapy" build thread going in here for close to 6 months now. Feel free to check it out for my progress while you wait for parts. It's slowed right down now due to this silly pandemic - can't get parts for love nor money down here in Australia ATM - hope you have more luck !

I'll be watching your build and living vicariously through you !

Sal

Appreciate your comment, Sal, and hope you all come through this pandemic unharmed.

I am lucky at the moment to be still classified as an essential employee here in the US as a facility engineer, so I am still working generating the money for this build.

The case is indeed a beast and I am spending my time awaiting part orders trying to plan for the years ahead and finding a suitable platform to keep this thing on that can also be moved easily. Final build-out looks to top out somewhere between 150 and 200 pounds.

I will indeed keep an eye on your thread as well!

Mat

Good to know that you are still gainfully employed Mat.

I'm still hanging on, but we had to stand down close to 1000 employees this week which is obviously not good news. I work in the leisure and entertainment industry so my job is anything but secure at the moment !

I've just updated my thread with my latest purchase - a case to sort of rival the 1000 I think, but without the flexibility the 1000 offers :-)

My company also stood down over 80% of our employees as well. Only senior foremen and above are still working. Thankfully, many of the buildings we maintain nationwide are closed as well so the work load is not crazy at the moment.

In fact I have been lucky and been able to work on a factory project just 20 miles from my house the last few weeks. A normal week has me driving 800 to 1000 miles one way on Monday and then working my way back home by Friday.

Can hardly wait to start this build, but part deliveries have been slowed to a crawl at the moment.

Mat

I hear you. Parts delivery is terrible everywhere.

Here in Australia we are at the bottom of the food chain anyway. Now even Amazon have stopped shipping here so its even harder, which pushes the prices up through the roof for the stock that is here !

Welcome Aboard buddy!! and good luck with the Build...

I also have a 1000d and have put some resource threads together that may help..

1000d build log/faq

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=180073

RGB faq

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Hydro X faq

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188181

I also have a Discord server that is speficially for Corsair Case owners and has a fair few like minded 1000d owners hanging out there

https://discordapp.com/invite/corsaircaseownersclub

Edited by Zotty

Thanks for the warm welcome - Zotty.

Your Build Log and iCue documents were a major part of my decision to do a 1000D build. Thank you for all of your knowledge and especially the iCue drawings.

I am sure I will have some questions along the way at some point and look forward to sharing the adventure with any interested. The forums here are one of the best I have experienced anywhere on the Internet.

Hey Sal,

Your not alone with Amazon issues "Down Under"...although not quite as bad here in the States.

Delivery times are significantly extended and prices are rising fairly quickly.

Pricing is probably due to resupply issues of new inventory and should resolve fairly quickly if businesses can come back online in the near future. (Long breathe hold here...)

Mat

Yes Mat, You're absolutely spot on - the whole supply chain has mostly dried up everywhere now. Luckily I'm a patient man - my build started in August last year - and the longer it pauses, the more time that gives me to ponder it and change direction :-)

• 2 weeks later...
usna92 - Spot on with your comment. Just my luck to start this build right at the beginning of the pandemic. I have the 1000D, Motherboards, SFX600 PSU, and a slew of parts for the cooling loops on hand so far, but have backed off placing any further orders until things calm down a bit. My wife now laughs at me for "Window Shopping" on Amazon every few days...lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sal,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It has been a crazy month at work. Hope the dog enjoyed it's delivery...lol

Looks like parts are starting to flow again and pricing is starting to stabilize a bit. I am slowly still ordering and receiving parts for the build...still a lot of pieces to go!

Just today I came home to a delivery on the porch consisting of the ST100 Headphone Stand, MM800 Mousepad, and K95 Platinum Keyboard.

A little miffed for the K95 being in factory box with a mailing label stuck on it and sitting right out in plain site on the porch. At $200.00 you would think it would have been properly boxed for shipment...

Mat

Hey Mat,

No problem - I'm up and down on my recovery path at the moment too.

Dog is decidedly uninspired with her package. I have a feeling that may be going straight to the garage never to be spoken of again !!

You're right to be miffed with the packaging of the keyboard. I would have thought better as well. I'm actually surprised that it was just dumped there too. Even in this challenging isolation time, I'm finding that while we don't necessarily need to sign for deliveries, the drivers will still ring the bell. When I answer the door they check that the name is right, then they put it down and leave and I go out and retrieve it. All very safe.

I've had some fun tools and bits for tube bending delivered in the last couple of weeks.

Just need a CPU and RAM then I can crack on with my assembly. Only been 8 months so far :-)