Corsair Community

HX-1000 Watt 80 PLUS PLATINUM

James1966

Question about power supply 12v rail selection switch as to where it should be set to and why to choose that setting over the other? SINGLE VS MULTIPLE

Multiple seems like the choice but I left it at default single setting when I bought the power supply

Reason for asking as my PC is having lock-up issues as it would randomly lock up and I have to do a hard shutdown.

thanks

Question about power supply 12v rail selection switch as to where it should be set to and why to choose that setting over the other? SINGLE VS MULTIPLE

Multiple seems like the choice but I left it at default single setting when I bought the power supply

Reason for asking as my PC is having lock-up issues as it would randomly lock up and I have to do a hard shutdown.

thanks

Multiple is safer but the PSU should handle the single fine. Unless you are really pushing the hardware in OC you shouldn't worry about single. And even then it should do fine.

What exactly is happening?

• Corsair Employee

Weird. Default should be multiple +12V rail. This is because it's a "safety feature", since it's possible someone can short something out when the PC is being built.

thanks

That would have nothing to do with the PSU. If the OCP for the +12V rail was being surpassed, the PSU would shut down. The PSU isn't going to "lock up" your system.

Thanks for the reply as I may have found the problem as my system been running for the last close to 24 hours without a crash.

What it looks like as it could be Mystic Light that is causing the crash as I have a MSI motherboard with a MSI 2080 Gaming X Trio which has to use Mystic lights own software to control it's RGB. Mystic Light and iCUE always got along with each other so I can not say if it's Mystic Light or Corsair is the blame as every time I install iCUE the system would crash. I really didn't look if it was Mystic Light as even the mother board has a Corsair RGB link so it never crossed my mind. My wish would be this companies got together and talked as it's the end users that pay the price for who controls what in your system. I guess I will have to live with no control on my video card rgb till a future update that address the problem or Corsair adds MSI video cards to iCUE

Make sure you kill both the Mystic Light App first, then the LED Keeper process before attempting to install iCUE. Once iCUE has successfully installed, you can launch Mystic Light again. This is a good idea for installation, but I am running similar hardware and have not had any massive lockups like what you are describing. It is possible the underlying cause is something else.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply... I remove the Audio Card ... ran a few days crashed.. so not audio card.. I ran a Intel CPU test and all came back fine. Next I going to remove the HX1000 Power Supply and put back in the HX850 that was originally I replaced and watch.

there would be only so many other things that would cause a lockup... motherboard? who knows ..

Update

It was my Motherboard that was the issue as I found a thread on MSI site with the same issues I am having so I am sending it back for a replacement and I went on a gamble to prove it was the board as I replaced my MSI MEG Z390 ACE to a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER as I am pleased on how well this one preforms :)