Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be reinstalling Windows 10 and then possibly back to Windows 7 by tomorrow (So many issues with Windows 10 but I can't boot from my Evo 960 pcie m2 drive off of Windows 7). That's a whole other issue though. I'll be going back to a previous bios (0801) and I'll give that a shot and I'll post back here with the results. Hopefully I'll be able to just set it to XMP with manual dram voltage and it'll work (wishful thinking). Either way, fingers crossed. I'll let you know vicster.

I',m running stable at 3000mhz with 09 bios now, manual voltages currently at

Dram Voltage: 1.350

CPU VCCIO: 1.170

CPU System Agent: 1.170

CPU OC:

CPU Ratio: x49

CPU Cache Ratio: X42

CPU Core Voltage: adaptive

CPU OC Voltage: 1.280

Processor Core ICCmax: 255,500a

Cache Max: =

LLC: 4

Currently running stable at 3000 MeM 15-17-17-35 2T (XMP Disabled)

--

Good Luck with reinstall etc. - havent had the pleasure of fiddling with M.2 myself.

I',m running stable at 3000mhz with 09 bios now, manual voltages currently at

Dram Voltage: 1.350

CPU VCCIO: 1.170

CPU System Agent: 1.170

CPU OC:

CPU Ratio: x49

CPU Cache Ratio: X42

CPU Core Voltage: adaptive

CPU OC Voltage: 1.280

Processor Core ICCmax: 255,500a

Cache Max: =

LLC: 4

Currently running stable at 3000 MeM 15-17-17-35 2T (XMP Disabled)

--

Good Luck with reinstall etc. - havent had the pleasure of fiddling with M.2 myself.

Nice! If mine becomes unstable then I'll give those settings a shot. But I'm running 0801 or whatever version is prior to 0906 (can't remember) and things seem good with xmp enabled. I'll probably find out in the morning after my PC has been off for a couple of hours (which is when the xmp settings fail).

As for the reinstall.. yeah, that was fun. Win7 and nvme pci-e drives are a pain in the butt. There are a few guides on how to make it possible which really come in handy. But luckily, seems like I finally made my 960 Evo bootable with Windows 7.

Anyways, thanks for listing those settings for the stable xmp-matching clocks.

Cheers

so i just got a new build using asus z270 maximus Code, and lpx ram CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 and i'm having issues getting to 3200 using XPM. i have bios 0701 on the mobo. guess that's what Micro Center put on it when they installed.

is there a better bios to use that'll ensure the ram works at 3200?

• 5 weeks later...
I'm having a similar issue but with an Asus z270 Tuf Mark 2 board. I've pretty much tried everything. Manual clocks, voltage. There may be other settings I need to change manually that I'm not aware of as this board as so many different memory options than my previous z97. The only thing that seemed to work for a while was going through the "Oc Tuner" on the board. With that (7% system OC), memory went up to 2933mhz with same clocks/voltage as XMP. However, after running it for a little under a week I noticed some odd behavior on my system so I've had to go back to stock configuration which is 2133mhz.

At this point, I'd be fine with running the memory at 2400mhz but I can't even do that either. Board's bios is the latest (0906) and I've already read other people saying the previous version for the z270 seems to work fine with XMP. Can anyone else confirm this ?

Or does anyone have the same board/memory as I and is able to use XMP @ 3000mhz ?

Board: Asus Z270 Tuf Mark 2

CPU: I7 6700k

Memory: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Cheers.

Hi

I have this SPEC :

- Z270E GAMING

- I7 7700K

- 850 Watts

- GTX 1080 ASUS

- 2X8 go CORSAIR LED CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R

If i use the profil #1 when i come to windows, freeze and reboot of the machine, i have to disable XMP to run

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had a look at the QVL on the Asus support web-site here.

According to this the Corsair 3400MHz RAM is qualified for use one or two slots but not four. I'm using all four.

Can anyone else confirm/deny that it works in one or two slots?

OK my solution is to manually set times 16-18-18-36, 2T and kick voltage up 1.37V. I left other on auto and now is second day of encrypting and working well...

(my way for lonmg term stres check i found PC falling as memtest and prime showing no issues, usual 5-6 hours and bang - pc down)

Before that when i left voltages on 1.35 it start but sometimes under stres after few hours shut down and loop. just batery removal reset bios settings.

May this way can help you..

For CORSHAIR guys! thanks for months of stress wtf happening, changing mobos psus cables countless times, changing hardware, setups from stupid reason you released unchecked product on market. After this fight (also you PSU ar poor) i wont bay single fan with you logo.

36 pages of same issues and no single post sumarising solutions people wrote here. BTW thanks for tips for users...

OK my solution is to manually set times 16-18-18-36, 2T and kick voltage up 1.37V. I left other on auto and now is second day of encrypting and working well...

(my way for lonmg term stres check i found PC falling as memtest and prime showing no issues, usual 5-6 hours and bang - pc down)

Before that when i left voltages on 1.35 it start but sometimes under stres after few hours shut down and loop. just batery removal reset bios settings.

May this way can help you..

For CORSHAIR guys! thanks for months of stress wtf happening, changing mobos psus cables countless times, changing hardware, setups from stupid reason you released unchecked product on market. After this fight (also you PSU ar poor) i wont bay single fan with you logo.

36 pages of same issues and no single post sumarising solutions people wrote here. BTW thanks for tips for users...

Of course, you are running a different motherboard, CPU, and memory product than everyone else on these pages. The idea of manual setting the 4 primary timings has been a central theme since page 1.

Memory overclocking is tedious and frustrating by nature, but that is ultimately your responsibility. You can't really expect someone to show up at your house and do it for you. I imagine your conversation with Asus did not go very far. They likely would have told you your memory kit is not on their QVL and they don't support overclocking anyway, despite what is all over their product pages.

On a side note, I ultimately I have slightly faster encryption with 2666 12-13-13-28-T1 than at my XMP values of 3200 15-17-17-35. I have a different 4x4 3200 Domiantor kit than you and an older 5930K, but if maintaining that frequency proves to be tedious, try some tighter settings at a lower frequency. I do not find the 2800 and 3000 speeds overly beneficial on X99. Over several years of testing, the sweet spots seem to be at 3200 with allowable timings for some things or minimal difference or better at 2666. You can try 13-15-15-31 or similar at 1.35v. I suspect that could run at lower voltage, but since DDR4 is so cool at 1.35v it isn't worth the effort to try and reduce it versus tightening the timings further.

Edited by c-attack

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thread. I was having similar issues with 3000 MHz 15-17-17-35 kit (CMK16GX4M4B3000C15) on both MSI X99 SLI and Asus X99 Sabretooth motherboards. On MSI it was sometimes working and sometimes not, like many people said here, sometimes boots sometimes not. On Sabretooth I was always booting with XMP, but I was getting instant errors with all tests like, AIDA, OCCT or MemTest86. I have tweaked my way out of that somehow, but to this day I cannot boot if those values are set manually, even though identical as XMP, it has to be XMP otherwise I won't boot with anything more than 2400 MHz. This memory really gave me trouble and two nights of tweaking. It turns about that this X99A SLI mobo wasn't bad, it was memory. Although I don't regret returning it and getting Sabretooth, this is amazing mobo.

I still don't quite understand what is going on with the memory. On MSI it wasn't fixable, on Asus basically only setting Fully Manual Mode to Enable helped definitively, even though all the voltages are identical to ones set with this mode disabled.

Anyway, my settings in case someone reads this thread with the same issues on the same mobo:

XMP

Fully Manual Mode - Enabled

VCSAA - 1.178 (1.84 effective)

VCCIN - 1.95 (1.984 max effective)

DRAM - 1.33 (1.356 effective)

Timings 14-16-16-34-2T

I still don't quite understand what is going on with the memory. On MSI it wasn't fixable, on Asus basically only setting Fully Manual Mode to Enable helped definitively, even though all the voltages are identical to ones set with this mode disabled.

Anyway, my settings in case someone reads this thread with the same issues on the same mobo:

XMP

Fully Manual Mode - Enabled

VCSAA - 1.178 (1.84 effective)

VCCIN - 1.95 (1.984 max effective)

DRAM - 1.33 (1.356 effective)

Timings 14-16-16-34-2T

That is peculiar. At this point, 4x4 at any speed should not be that difficult on your board. Watch out on your Input Voltage. 1.95v is getting to be quite a lot, although you did not specify your CPU clock speed. You should not need that much unless you are at your last tenth on memory and CPU. I run my 5930K at 4.5 and 3200 while at 1.90v. I even lowered it to 1.88v recently with no stability issues and maybe -1C on VRM temp. This is CPU dependent, but sometimes I think input voltage gets too much credit in the various forums.

Keep an eye out for bios updates! I predicted that one of the reasons so many of us are having issues with our DDR4 memory was because of immature bios' and I just flashed the new 1009 bios for my Asus M9F motherboard and I can now boot with xmp enabled. The Code 55 error no longer occurs.

On the old bios I had to set Dram to manual and boost the voltage to 1.40v and set to mode 1 in order to boot successfully.

Using mode 1 is still recomended

That is peculiar. At this point, 4x4 at any speed should not be that difficult on your board. Watch out on your Input Voltage. 1.95v is getting to be quite a lot, although you did not specify your CPU clock speed. You should not need that much unless you are at your last tenth on memory and CPU. I run my 5930K at 4.5 and 3200 while at 1.90v. I even lowered it to 1.88v recently with no stability issues and maybe -1C on VRM temp. This is CPU dependent, but sometimes I think input voltage gets too much credit in the various forums.

The board said to stay at 1.95 max to daily use so I did and focused on tweaking other voltages. I saw VCCIN helping a lot on MSI so I just kept it high for now. The settings are posted for 4.5 Core 4.5 Cache clocks on my 5960X, 1.22 and 1.3V respectively. I can go higher with core but my cooling in not sufficient above 1.3V on the core (H115i), at least not in summer.

Since I have to use Fully Manual Mode in BIOS to get stable with memory and it allows only manual voltages without adaptive mode I have backed my cache to 4.0 and I am now focusing on lowering all voltages. No point on maxing things out until I get custom loop and can really overclock this CPU to max potential.

This memory is really strange. Without XMP it boots only up to 2400 MHz regardless of voltages and with 100:133 memory BCLK it will boot with 3200 but throw errors. With XMP, it boots at 2000, 2750, 3000 and 3333. It won't boot on for example 3250 but will boot on 3333. Crazy things going on. I have found my stable settings so at least I have something to go back to for full stability and I will try to tweak this memory further. Interesting stuff and since I found a solution this is no longer annoying, only a challenge remains :) Not the best solution because of fixed voltages on the core and cache, but at least it works.

Edited by Krzych

The board said to stay at 1.95 max to daily use so I did and focused on tweaking other voltages. I saw VCCIN helping a lot on MSI so I just kept it high for now. The settings are posted for 4.5 Core 4.5 Cache clocks on my 5960X, 1.22 and 1.3V respectively. I can go higher with core but my cooling in not sufficient above 1.3V on the core (H115i), at least not in summer.

Since I have to use Fully Manual Mode in BIOS to get stable with memory and it allows only manual voltages without adaptive mode I have backed my cache to 4.0 and I am now focusing on lowering all voltages. No point on maxing things out until I get custom loop and can really overclock this CPU to max potential.

4.5 and 4.5 is pretty a hefty overclock and I am just fine with 1.95 input voltage for that. I did not expect you have the cache up that high. I do think the cache frequency may have some effect on your attempts to get the memory going. I also have passed near that range, but it became so tedious with nothing more than a bolstered write speed to show for it. I dialed my cache back down to 4.0 and stopped going for more long ago. I've had my dance with non-standard memory frequencies. These days I either run low (2666) or 3200, depending on how hard I want to press the CPU frequencies. I am probably just worn out after a few years of it, but keep at it if you have the energy.

4.5 and 4.5 is pretty a hefty overclock and I am just fine with 1.95 input voltage for that. I did not expect you have the cache up that high. I do think the cache frequency may have some effect on your attempts to get the memory going. I also have passed near that range, but it became so tedious with nothing more than a bolstered write speed to show for it. I dialed my cache back down to 4.0 and stopped going for more long ago. I've had my dance with non-standard memory frequencies. These days I either run low (2666) or 3200, depending on how hard I want to press the CPU frequencies. I am probably just worn out after a few years of it, but keep at it if you have the energy.

I have tried even without CPU overclock and memory is till throwing errors at 3000, unless all voltages are fixed through Fully Manual Mode in BIOS.

I have tried different BIOS versions yesterday and it doesn't help. This memory is just bad.

I have tried 2750MHz yesterday and it works without all of this fixing. So getting 2750 MHz with as low timings as possible vs 3000 MHz is some alternative, 2750 13-15-15 should perform very similarly to 3000 14-16-16

Looks like this memory is not really working on advertised speeds unless it is strictly tweaked on each mobo exclusively. It was the cheapest from the stack so I cannot really complain, but generally quality is very questionable.

• 4 weeks later...

DRAM frequency ratio from 100:100 to 100:133

MCH Full Check from Auto/Enabled to Disabled

After I changed those two I have been stable on 3200.

Glad I took the time to read this thread from page 1.

Since I got my Asus Z170 Deluxe and CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 (2x16GB) RAM, I've only ever been able to run at XMP 3200 settings with a single BIOS for the motherboard.

With the 1902 BIOS, everything is rock stable. No problems whatsoever. However, every newer BIOS has presented with the occasional "error 55" at warm or cold startup.

This weekend, I finally decided that I didn't want to continue running such an old BIOS, so I put the newly release 3504 BIOS on it and began reading. . .

The two tips above seem to do the trick. If I turn off either of them, the issue returns.

Asus Z170 Deluxe - BIOS 3504

Intel 6700K @ 4.6GHz

32GB (2 x 16GB) CMK32GX4M2B3200C16

Stable settings (at least thirty cold and warm reboots accomplished without issue)

• AI OVerclock Tuner --> XMP
  • ASUS Multicore Enhancement --> Disabled
  • Core Ratios (all four) --> 46
  • BCLK Frequency : DRAM Frequency Ratio --> 100:133
  • DRAM Odd Ratio Mode --> Disabled
  • DRAM Frequency --> 3200 (must set this again after changing BCLK:DRAM ratio to 100:133)
  • MCH Full Check --> Disabled (under DRAM Timing Control)
  • Max CPU Cache Ratio --> 46
  • CPU Core/Cache Voltage --> Adaptive Mode
  • Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage --> 1.290
  • DRAM Voltage --> 1.3500
  • FCLK Frequency For Early Power On --> 1GHz
  • CPU Load-line Calibration --> 6

• 2 months later...
Glad I took the time to read this thread from page 1.

Since I got my Asus Z170 Deluxe and CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 (2x16GB) RAM, I've only ever been able to run at XMP 3200 settings with a single BIOS for the motherboard.

With the 1902 BIOS, everything is rock stable. No problems whatsoever. However, every newer BIOS has presented with the occasional "error 55" at warm or cold startup.

This weekend, I finally decided that I didn't want to continue running such an old BIOS, so I put the newly release 3504 BIOS on it and began reading. . .

The two tips above seem to do the trick. If I turn off either of them, the issue returns.

Asus Z170 Deluxe - BIOS 3504

Intel 6700K @ 4.6GHz

32GB (2 x 16GB) CMK32GX4M2B3200C16

Stable settings (at least thirty cold and warm reboots accomplished without issue)

• AI OVerclock Tuner --> XMP
  • ASUS Multicore Enhancement --> Disabled
  • Core Ratios (all four) --> 46
  • BCLK Frequency : DRAM Frequency Ratio --> 100:133
  • DRAM Odd Ratio Mode --> Disabled
  • DRAM Frequency --> 3200 (must set this again after changing BCLK:DRAM ratio to 100:133)
  • MCH Full Check --> Disabled (under DRAM Timing Control)
  • Max CPU Cache Ratio --> 46
  • CPU Core/Cache Voltage --> Adaptive Mode
  • Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage --> 1.290
  • DRAM Voltage --> 1.3500
  • FCLK Frequency For Early Power On --> 1GHz
  • CPU Load-line Calibration --> 6

Been meaning to report back for a while now. The above did, in fact, not work. Though boot issues are seldom, they still remain. Time to sell this Corsair kit and get something else.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi folks. Don't have Corsair memory, but hear me out...

This Z170 Pro Gaming seemingly does have weird XMP issues.

I have 4 sticks of 8G ADATA cheapo memory. 2133mhz default in BIOS, but rated for 2800mhz. Latest BIOS. XMP would cause the machine to not boot...so I thought. Sounded a lot like this guy:

When the BIOS is set to XMP so my RAM can run at 3000 MHz, POST fails and I can't even get the BIOS up on the monitor without holding down the power button to turn off the machine, then turning it back on, at which point I get the screen telling me to hit F1 for setup. If I set everything to "optimized defaults" and run the RAM at 2133 MHz or whatever I have no problems.

First of all there are two ways to turn it on, when you turn on XMP it says "do you want to also activate CPU core syncing or just Intel XMP specifications", which I do not understand. So im like, no dont mess with my CPU, just turn on XMP for ram.

Well, system will not boot. After BIOS screen it's just blank for like 30 seconds. So Im thinking, great im gonna fry my ram. After i force power down and bring back, i get the "BIOS detected an error on last boot, press F1 for setup".

So I go into BIOS settings, turn XMP off. System boots nomally. But then i think, maybe that CPU thing is required for this motherboard, afterall it's what ASUS bios seemed to want to force. So i reboot, go into BIOS, turn on XMP but say "yes" to the "do something to my CPU that ive never heard of".

Reboot, same thing, black screen for like, 20 seconds, PC is obviously not booting. I turn XMP off in BIOS recovery, PC boots again. But then Im like, this makes no damn sense.

I'm gonna try ONE MORE THING...

I reboot, go into BIOS, turn XMP on again, yes sync cores or whatever., save settings, reboot. Black screen as usual

But this time I wait.

I just let it sit there. 30 seconds, 45 seconds PC looks bricked. But i just let it sit there Then at about 60 seconds, the PC shuts off, and I'm, like great, I fried my PC.

I reboot, but wait, something is different! It doesn't go into "Your PC couldnt boot, press F1 for setup". It's starting to boot into windows!

So I think, maybe the BIOS just reversed the change. Ireboot, go into bios...nope, XMP is still enabled. I reboot into windows, look at task manager: RAM is running at 2800mhz.

I download CPU-Z, look at memory stat: says I'm running at 2800mhz. I ran Windows 10's memory checker (basically a slimmed down memtest86), passed with flying colors. System is stable.

So, i dunno what the hell the BIOS did during 60 seconds of black screen. I've been messing with computers for 3+ decades, I've never seen a PC BIOS take more than a half second to do anything.

FYI.

Edited by mercster

After two years of struggle, I finally could boot with XMP 16-18-18-36 3200!

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

i5-6600K

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black kit 2x8Gb 3200Mhz + Corsair Vengeance LPX Red kit 2x8Gb 3200Mhz - (4x8Gb - 32Gb in total)

BIOS Version 3805

First of all I reset settings to default. Click EXIT, then "Load Optimized defaults". Save and reset.

Ai Overclock Tuner - XMP DDR4-3200 16-18-18-36 (or something like that don't remember exactly)

BCLK Frequency - 100.00 (xmp set it, and i don't touch)

CPU Core Ratio - Sync All Cores

1-Core Ratio Limit - 42

DRAM Frequency - DDR4-3200MHz

(Timings 16-18-36, frequency 3200 and dram voltage 1.35 - was set by xmp, and i don't change this)

CPU Core/Cache Voltage - Manual Mode

CPU Core Voltage Override - 1.2

DRAM Voltage - 1.35

CPU VCCIO Voltage - 1.2

CPU System Agent Voltage - 1.2

Works stable for me.

for core multiplier x46 i use CPU Core Voltage Override - 1.34 (works for me too)

i tried before next settings and this did not works for me.

CPU VCCIO Voltage - 1.15 (Overclock failed)

CPU System Agent Voltage - 1.15 (Overclock failed)

after 1.2 system booted.

• 3 months later...

At the end, no solution worked for me and I changed motherboard. I switched to a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, with an Intel Core i7, keeping the same GPU, case, PSU and peripherals. Needless to say, the issue is completely resolved and I haven't gotten a single 55 Q-Code yet.

On the other hand, I moved the Asus Z170 Deluxe with Skylake i7 to a new case and installed 32 GB of (also) Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM, this time though DDR4@2400 MHz, for use as a server and media center with Ubuntu Linux and it's working flawlessly. Seems that the Z170D doesn't like RAM over 2666 or so.

• 1 month later...

Found a easy "solution" to this problem.

I have 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz memory from Corsair and it crashed on almost every restart and boot.

The only thing I did in bios: Choose XMP profile 1 and manually change DRAM frequency to DDR4-3000MHz. Have restarted 15 times without any issue.

fiSyIPn.jpg

FEs1ltV.jpg

So now it's showing 3000 MHz in task manager. When I took a RAM speed test in Novabench it says: RAM Speed: 33908 MB/. I'm not gonna waist anymore time getting it to work in 3200 MHz. I can live good with 3000 MHz, at least it's better than have to use 2133 MHz

So if you have the same problem with 3000MHz go down to 2933MHz and so on

Edited by Daskeladden

...Seems that the Z170D doesn't like RAM over 2666 or so.

I am afraid that is the take away now some years later. Z170 was the first standard consumer DDR4 platform. It came after the HEDT X99 and people assumed it work be stronger (probably because board makers implied it could reach higher), but that was rarely the case. Motherboard construction has a strong influence on your top end capabilities. The top end on most Z170 boards was low. X99 was also fairly difficult to push past 3200 and with little in return. However that same Dominator 3200 XMP kit bought in early 2015 that would not run stable past 3200 on X99, is now in my Z370 running 4000 MHz. It’s not the RAM. It never was.